Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/13/2018 6:28:08 PM   
SewLynn

Thank you Carol. I do like VFT patterns, but ... there are some drawbacks too.
- Many people have problems getting their printers to print out the patterns in the correct size.
- IMO, the sleeves cut on the fold don't fit the body as well as sleeves that are cut with more fullness in the back.
- The fullness of the skirts are sometimes excessive - I've learned to eliminate some of the fullness.
- The terminology used in the instructions are not what most of us are accustomed to and can be confusing.
(Example - "right sides touching" gave me pause with my first pattern = "right sides together" is what I expected, and similar phrases.)
- Limited QC has been done when patterns are first released.
- If they offered more tissue patterns for sale, I would buy those! Printing and taping makes me nuts and it doesn't save money, At. All.

Upside:
- the copious illustrations and photos make it easy to understand the construction.
- Directions can be followed on one's computer without having to print those pages out.
- Frequent seasonal sales.
- Online video tutorials.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 21
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/13/2018 11:22:15 PM   
SewLynn

The matching doll dress - so much fun! :-)

Attachment (1)

Member since 2001.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 22
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/14/2018 12:52:48 PM   
MoDo

Cute! I'm still waiting for my DGD to play with dolls instead of all those Shopkins .

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 23
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/14/2018 4:20:54 PM   
SewLynn

The doll dress is Wellie Wisher size. I have one more girls nightgown to make with a matching Bitty Baby nightie. Mind you - when they were both into the 18" American Girl dolls, myself and their other grandma filled an oversized wardrobe that their other grandpa made.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 24
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/14/2018 10:27:43 PM   
MoDo

Those had to be some happy little girls!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 25
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/15/2018 11:15:21 AM   
Grammie

I am trying to finish two dresses...just buttons and buttonholes left to do.

This is Carousel from AS&E #63,

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Grammie -- 3/15/2018 12:48:42 PM >

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 26
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/15/2018 11:17:03 AM   
Grammie

The second one is also from AS&E but I don' remember which issue...I'll try to find it. Found it - "Summer Blooms" from issue #87.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Grammie -- 3/15/2018 1:00:59 PM >

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 27
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/15/2018 11:30:39 AM   
ssstitches

Lynn and Grammie. Your little ones are so lucking. Beautiful spring dresses!

Martha

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 28
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/15/2018 4:40:50 PM   
MoDo

Grammie--Both dresses are so pretty!

(in reply to ssstitches)
Post #: 29
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/15/2018 6:29:13 PM   
caaguirre

You're all making delightful garments for your girls.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 30
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/15/2018 8:42:21 PM   
SewLynn

Oh Grammie ... I so wish I could manage the smocking! I have everything to do it, but the eyesight makes it very challenging. You did a great job!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 31
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/16/2018 8:10:11 AM   
Grammie

Thank you, one and all...I love to do the smocking. It's strange, I can no longer do the counted cross-stitch handwork, but smocking is just fine. Lynn...have you tried using magnifying glasses to smock? I recently had cataract surgery and now need some magnification to smock - not much, but some! Second eye to be done in June - can't wait!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 32
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/18/2018 6:39:51 AM   
aussie

Wish I had a little girl to sew an Easter dress for and wear to church. So,next best thing is to do charity sewing. My "sewing angels" (girls that I am teaching) are making bunny stuffies. Some I stitched out on my embroidery machine for them to finish, others are machine stitched by them. Found the very best way is to stitch wrong sides together, stuff and pink the outline. The pinking hides any crooked stitching and gives bunny a furry look. We have them in an Easter type plant container on a table with a big pot of silk tulips in the entry to the church. They are adorable. Last batch of bunnies were the smaller ones and the girls stuck them here and there in the tulips (just like real bunnies do). We are having a collection of baby items which will go to the local pro life organization around Mother's Day. Again, nothing as fancy as all that is shown here, but the end product is helping those in need.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 33
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/18/2018 7:56:46 AM   
Grammie

Dear Carol...so man people benefit from your sewing...I think the bunnies idea is just precious! And what a fun way to learn to sew...let's the girls use their imaginations.

Thank you from all of us in the sewing community for all you do - you give us a good name!

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 34
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/21/2018 7:29:23 PM   
Linda S.

I'm so inspired by all the beautiful work I see here! You gals have my sewing enthusiasm going
again!

Lynn, I love the lavender gown you made, and the matching doll dress is just darling. The print
you used down the front and at the hemline is so pretty...did you use a strip of print fabric like
insertion? Is that what I'm seeing? I love the look!

Grammie, you've sure been busy again! Each dress is prettier than the one before. The girls
in your family will be wearing lovely Easter dresses this year, which will make for some beautiful
pictures.

And Carol, I loved hearing about your sewing group at church and your girls are no doubt having
a lot of fun while they learn. May I ask what ages take part? And did you have a lot of interest?
It's so nice to hear young girls are learning to sew, because at times I think this is almost a dying
skill among young people these days. God bless your tender heart...and I'd love to see your
bunnies, if you take pictures : ).

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 35
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/21/2018 7:31:03 PM   
Linda S.

MoDo, Hope you were able to get all the materials you need to finish your dress. Can hardly
wait to see it! Don't forget to give us a peek, when you're finished!

And yes, I can hardly wait for boat time : ).

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 36
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/22/2018 4:53:00 PM   
MoDo

Linda--This dress is going to give me the worst headache ! I am now on Version 3.1 . I am not a happy camper .

Which boat time is better for you--April or May?

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 37
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/22/2018 9:17:43 PM   
caaguirre

MoDo, what's going on with the dress, is there something we can do to help you figure it out?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 38
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/22/2018 10:23:19 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Carol, but it's really the fabric; I had forgotten what a pain it was to come up with a design three years ago. Back then I ended up using puffing strips, but I didn't want to make it look the same this year. So, I have tried to come up with something new, something I haven't done before. I've already taken the front yoke apart a couple of times. I am semi-pleased with it now, but can see the mistakes . I have also spent hours (and I do mean HOURS) making vertical pin tucks and have many more hours to go (ran out of thread, too! Must buy more tomorrow). If I finish this dress, and the slip, in time to ship it off to my DGD in time for Resurrection Day, it will only be by the grace of God! Watch this space .

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 39
RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? - 3/23/2018 9:47:49 AM   
MoDo

Okay, after a restless night filled with anxiety, I remembered this morning that my original plan was to make only the front yoke "fancy" and leave the skirt plain, with perhaps a self-ruffle with edging lace at the bottom. Do y'all think that would be nice enough since it is a printed fabric?? I don't know why I thought making vertical pin tucks for a fancy band was a good idea . I am definitely a glutton for punishment.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> RE: Is anyone doing Easter Sewing? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy