Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Iron On Velcro?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Home Decor & Crafts >> Iron On Velcro? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Iron On Velcro? - 3/8/2018 2:58:24 PM   
valdiva

Has any one used Iron-on Velcro? I need to replace Velcro on outdoor furniture tabs. I quickly put on some of the sticky Velcro & it did not holds the tabs together. I know I will need to test, but if anyone has used it & has some experience with it, would appreciate info. I will need a lot of the velcro & hate to make a big purchase & find out it does not "bond" to fabric long term. TIA
Post #: 1
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/8/2018 6:09:27 PM   
DDinDFW

Would the fabric you want to attach to this be able to withstand the iron temperature to secure this? I'm skeptical that velcro can do that without melting. Hmm

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to valdiva)
Post #: 2
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/8/2018 6:26:13 PM   
valdiva

Supposedly position the Velcro to fabric & turn the fabric over. Iron/steam from the fabric side, rather than putting an iron directly to the Velcro. The tabs are two layers of fabric & then the heart would need to be "hot" enough" to fuse the Velcro to the chair cushion tabs.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 3
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/9/2018 8:30:01 AM   
ssstitches

There may be some good glues out there. I am sure someone here will come up with something.
Good Luck

Martha

(in reply to valdiva)
Post #: 4
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/9/2018 8:39:04 PM   
caaguirre

I've never tried iron on Velcro but have never had success with the stick on Velcro as it couldn't withstand the pulling needed to separate the pieces. Is it absolutely impossible to stitch Velcro to these items?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ssstitches)
Post #: 5
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/11/2018 9:38:22 AM   
valdiva

Thanks for all the insight. Based on the location of the furniture tabs, I just can't imagine getting a sewing machine close enough to the edges to securely sew the Velcro in place. Once JoAnns has a decent coupon, I am going to try the iron on & if that does not hold, will use the E6000 glue to secure the Velcro. At this point I don't have anything to loose - just floppy furniture cushions..LOL!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/11/2018 2:02:06 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Years ago our office went through a big reno - they used heavy duty upholstery Velcro had to be stick on... but the regular stuff stick on does not hold used it on doggy coats... didn't last so sewed it on... go find an upholstery store maybe they will sell you some Velcro that would be best choice.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to valdiva)
Post #: 7
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/12/2018 11:32:38 AM   
Linda S.

I've had a terrible time trying to get Velcro to stay on. The sticky kind will gum up your machine...there is
quite a few comments on the internet about it. And it doesn't last long. The iron on kind doesn't stay put
for long either.

The sew-on kind is a better idea but it can be hard to get your stitching down, without a lot of skipped stitches.
The thread coming from the machine gets caught on the hook side of the Velcro. If one sews just on the very
lengthwise edge, there is a flat area without hooks or loops where you can stitch, but it's a very narrow area.
And of course, when I tried sewing across the bottom of several strips of Velcro, I had skipped stitches all
across....especially on the hook side.

I'm not sure what the answer is, unless as Shirley suggests you can find some professional grade hook and loop
tape. After I'd already sweat bullets trying to get this Velcro sewn on, I thought of trying to use a clear nylon
thread...the kind that looks like clear, fine fishing line. Maybe that could pass through without getting caught
up on the hook and loop tape?

I wish you luck! Will you come back to tell us what you figured out?

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 8
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/27/2018 9:49:15 AM   
mizzlilly

I’ve never had any success with anything but sew on. Perhaps either an upholstery shop or a shoe repair could stitch it for you.

When I stitch Velcro I use Mettler Metrosene, which is polyester thread, a size 90 Microtex needle, and a special Bernina foot...can’t remember the number right now...maybe 38. It is designed with uneven height toes. I usually get good stitching with this combination.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/28/2018 7:35:55 PM   
Linda S.

Lillian,

I'm not sewing on Velcro right now...the last time, I was making belly bands
for rescue dogs. But there might be more belly bands in my future and Velcro
closure is the only thing I know to keep them on.

I did get an uneven foot (not sure of the right name) and I think that did help,
but I still had some skipped stitches. Do you sew across the strip where there
is no blank area without hooks or loops?

I still haven't tried my idea of using that clear thread (the kind that looks like
fine fishing line)....but will next time. It makes sense in my mind anyway : )
I'll also try your suggestion for Mettler metrosene. Is there anything special
about it, other than being a poly thread? The future little foster puppies thank
you in advance : ).

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 10
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 3/28/2018 9:03:46 PM   
mizzlilly

Yes, I sew along the plain edges when possible, but have also sewn through both the hook and the loop tape when necessary. Metrosene is just a good quality poly thread. Any good quality poly should work. I think the fine fishing line type thread can be a bit unruly but it is always worth a try. I think the foot and the needle are the most important items.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 11
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 5/25/2018 2:18:48 AM   
caaguirre

Another tip from Sue Hausmann about sewing on Velcro, she mentioned that if you're having trouble with skipped stitches she recommends using a stretch needle and a teflon foot if you have one. She used a small zig zag stitch but that was more for sturdiness than for avoiding skipping. She also sewed right into the hooks or loops this way with no trouble at all. Thought some of you might be interested after having the previous discussions about this.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 12
RE: Iron On Velcro? - 5/25/2018 8:58:04 AM   
Linda S.

Thank you Carol. Hopefully the next time I make these belly bands, all the new tips will help.
These are fostered dogs and many of them come without being house broke...thus the need
for belly bands. These bands go through numerous machine wash/dry cycles, so they need
to be sturdy. I really appreciate all these suggestions!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Home Decor & Crafts >> Iron On Velcro? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote