Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/12/2018 9:38:46 AM   
ClaudiaM

If anyone has plans to sew the Penelope dress pattern from Sew Beautiful Issue # 84, 2002 (pg. 60), please make a copy of this before beginning. There are numerous problems with the pattern and instructions. I'm just finishing the bodice and found yet another problem. The issue doesn't say what size was made for the article (sizes 1-6 are on the pull-out). I'm making a size 2; I just put on the square flat fancy band around the neck and realized it's too small for the child's neck so I carefully removed it and will replace it with a single row of gathered 3/8" edging to fix that. If you decide to use the pattern compare the sizes stated with a standard pattern that you can trust before deciding on the size on the pull-out. Luckily I'm making it for a baby girl yet to be born so size isn't to critical. I'm making it so it can be worn when the child is 1 or 2. Read and re-read the instructions. Luckily, I'm an experienced sewer (71 and sewing since I was 8) so I've been able to figure out the issues (except didn't notice the neck opening size until it was too late because I started that in the wee hours with only 1/2 cup of coffee). I'm thinking the one in the article was made in the largest size and someone was a little haphazard about downsizing it for the 1-5 sizes. It's a pretty little dress and I'm going to be happy with it, despite the aggravation. By the way, there is a correction in SB corrections listings regarding the 1/4" tuck markings (saying not 3/4" between markings but instead 1") but the correction is wrong too! The markings should be 1-1/8" apart to equal the 1/4" between the fold of the top one to the stitch line of the one underneath (also equaling 1/2" from stitch line to stitch line). It might actually be better to adapt the bodice of a known pattern and I might just consider that next time (if there is a next time)!
Post #: 1
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/12/2018 10:19:36 AM   
MoDo

Thank you, Claudia! Such important info to know! I have copied and printed your post and will put it in the magazine with the pattern!

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums!!

(in reply to ClaudiaM)
Post #: 2
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/12/2018 3:29:56 PM   
caaguirre

Thank you for the information, I'm going to add it to my files. No one likes these kind of surprises but I'm glad you were able to work it out. Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 3
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 7:20:56 AM   
ClaudiaM

I finished the dress and attempted to upload the picture but it doesn't seem to be working; perhaps in will show up after I post this. Although the project was aggravating because of the problems with the pattern and instructions, it did turn out looking like the blue one in the magazine. If you decide to make it I definitely recommend that you use the idea with your own trusted pattern, not the one on the magazine pull-out. One of the many problems with the pattern is the piece for the band, which doesn't match-up with the upper bodice that has been pieced together (the front and back band pieces used for wide lace insertion or a contrasting fabric isn't wide enough and misses the mark by a couple of inches at least). I suggest dropping that area down so the band is below the armhole instead of having to cut the armhole into it. I do like the dress and since I gave it away as a gift, I intend to make another to keep for a future baby in our own family. However, I will definitely use a trusted pattern of a similar style and have made a note on the first page of the magazine article in that regard. Other changes that I might make: use a different (smaller and more delicate) sleeve and a delicate embroidery instead of the tucks on the small center portion of the bodice. The dress is pretty; the process of making it with the provided pattern and instructions, not so much! Claudia

Attachment (1)

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 7:36:16 AM   
kmroy

Oh Claudia, your dress is beautiful and such a precious gift. You did an amazing job with all your difficulties.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for sharing the pic. I too welcome you to this forum.

Kathy

(in reply to ClaudiaM)
Post #: 5
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 9:51:28 AM   
ClaudiaM

Thank you for your compliment. One other thing that I forgot to mention, unlike what is suggested and pictured in the article, I gathered my lace edging (sleeves, neckline and lower edge of the bodice). Not gathering it saves product but it's much prettier gathered and if one is going to all the trouble to create such a pretty dress why would one skimp on the lace? Unlike the article, I didn't use lace edging where the gathered skirt joined the entredeux - not because I wanted to skimp but I thought it was overkill. Claudia

(in reply to kmroy)
Post #: 6
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 3:21:01 PM   
ssstitches

Just gorgeous!

Martha

(in reply to ClaudiaM)
Post #: 7
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 3:59:20 PM   
Grammie

The dress is just lovely...what a beautiful gift for one special baby! Sorry you had so many problems with the pattern...hopefully you will try other Sew Beautiful patterns with better results.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to ssstitches)
Post #: 8
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 4:28:08 PM   
SewLynn

Beautiful work!! What a lucky little lady who will get to wear it.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 9
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 4:34:21 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Claudia, thank you so much for sharing your delicious confection!! It is truly eye candy and so very precious. I'm sure it will be a treasured heirloom by the recipient. Thank you, too, for sharing the difficulties you encountered and your suggested corrections. I have saved your comments and stored them in the magazine. Information like this is priceless. Welcome to the forum...please return frequently.

Barbara

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 10
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 5:03:13 PM   
MoDo

Such a beautiful dress! And, yes, thank you for letting us know other difficulties encountered! I, too, will save your comments and add them to the magazine.

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 11
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/22/2018 9:25:13 PM   
caaguirre

All of the effort you put in to work with that flawed pattern was certainly worth every minute. The dress is darling from the color you chose to each of the beautiful details. Congratulations!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 12
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/27/2018 10:14:44 AM   
mizzlilly

So glad you persevered, because the dress is gorgeous. It is far too common these days to run into these kinds of problems with patterns, but thanks for sharing that with us.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 13
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/28/2018 6:56:38 PM   
Linda S.

Martha, don't know how I missed this post but your dress is beautiful!

And thank you very much for taking the time to alert us to the mistakes you found...someone else who
wasn't quite as experienced as you are may have tossed their attempt into the permanent UFO
pile! (unfinished objects ; ).

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 14
RE: Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 - 3/30/2018 11:16:20 PM   
DonnaSewsAgain

Thank you, Claudia! Your dress turned out to be so beautiful! Just this week I had pulled out that issue because I've always liked that pattern, but several years ago balked at what seemed like pattern pieces and instructions that didn't look right. I was thinking of doing the casual dress from the pattern that appears on the back cover. If I get up the courage to make it, I'll know who to turn to for advice . We all appreciate your sharing your hard work with us!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Penelope Pattern Sew Beautiful Issue 84 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy