Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Lace Shaping

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Lace Shaping Page: [1]
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lace Shaping - 3/13/2018 3:08:13 PM   

Can beading lace be "shaped" the same way as insertion lace? Has anyone here done it? TIA.
Post #: 1
RE: Lace Shaping - 3/13/2018 6:17:31 PM   

Not sure how you are planning to use the beading lace, but it can't be shaped quite the same way as there's no header thread to pull up. It can be shaped some if you pin to a lace shaping board and steam it to eliminate the fullness on the edge being pulled in. BUT, if you are adding ribbon, not sure how that would work, as ribbon can't be shaped in the same way and not sure you'd want to steam silk ribbon - it takes away the luster and smoothness of silk ribbon, and polyester ribbon just can't really be shaped. I hope that answers your question somewhat.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: Lace Shaping - 3/14/2018 1:14:01 PM   

Thanks, Lynn; I didn't even think about beading lace not having header threads . So, I grabbed a scrap of the lace to double-check: and it DOES have header threads!! Of course, I wasn't planning to make circles or anything that drastic, I was thinking more along the lines of scallops. However, I'm not sure it would look good since the holes probably wouldn't space evenly at the miters.

I am now remembering the trouble I had three years ago with trying to come up with a design for a printed, poly/cotton, plisse fabric . Thankfully, this is the last of this fabric I have and I plan to not purchase any more of it! Back to the drawing board.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 3
RE: Lace Shaping - 3/15/2018 12:46:46 PM   
Linda S.

I bet the holes would be a problem if one happened to fall right at a peak. Have you thought
about using an embroidered swiss as insertion? You can bend it a little to use with scallops if the
curve isn't too severe.

Is this the print you have left over from the other beautiful pink print dress? I love that print. Oh, and
how about puffing strips? They bend and conform can make them narrow or wide too.
Decisions, decisions : ).

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 3/15/2018 12:51:29 PM >

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 4
RE: Lace Shaping - 3/15/2018 4:50:22 PM   

Hi Linda--Yes, this is the remainder of the fabric from that Easter dress of 2015. I was thinking of scalloped puffing strips, but don't have the insertion to go on the edges of the strips. I think I may have come up with a design, though. Actually, I have two designs, but I am leaning a bit more toward one of them. There will be no lace on the dress. I do have to modify the sleeves, though; haven't quite figured out how to carry on the design on those yet. Stay tuned .

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Lace Shaping Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote