Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Under the Sea from AS&E #96

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Under the Sea from AS&E #96 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/21/2018 6:10:30 PM   
Grammie

Has anyone else made this pattern? I completed it some time ago and it was too big for my granddaughter so it hung in the closet. Well, now it fits her - or at least it should! She cannot get the silly dress over her head! This is a wrap-around dress with a single button at the back neckline with a placket & button loop. I am frustrated! Is there a mistake in the pattern?

Attachment (1)

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!
Post #: 1
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/21/2018 6:11:34 PM   
Grammie

The back...

Attachment (1)

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 2
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/21/2018 6:24:11 PM   
Linda S.

Oh for pity's sake! I can't imagine how frustrating that must be and it looks like you've
done everything just right. Do you know the name of the pattern? Surely others have
found the same problem with it.

I've not made it but it looks like you would need to make another, longer back placket?
do you have any fabric left over to do it? Sorry...I'd be awful disappointed, if this happened
to me.

It's a darling dress, by the way!

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 3/21/2018 6:25:08 PM >

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/21/2018 6:57:15 PM   
Grammie

Linda...the pattern is "Under the Sea" from AS&E #96 - it's on page 30.

I will get my hands on that dress next week and see what I can do. I'm sure you are right - it needs a longer placket - maybe my little one's head is just BIG! LOL

I'll let you know.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/21/2018 11:46:30 PM   
caaguirre

I sure hope you can fix it, the pattern is so cute with that wrap around. I agree, the back opening is probably too short.

< Message edited by caaguirre -- 3/22/2018 9:21:10 PM >

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 5
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/22/2018 5:06:50 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Grammie, I LOVE this dress!! So cute!! I hope all you need to do is increase the size of the placket...I doubt it's your wee one's head size that's the problem. That wrap around detail is so cute and I love the bright, happy fabric!! I know this was a hit with your DGD.

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/23/2018 10:19:55 AM   
SewLynn

Adorable fabric!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 7
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 3/27/2018 10:06:39 AM   
mizzlilly

So cute! What a shame about the placket issue. I have a cute little dress 90% finished here that I never finished after figuring the little one wouldn’t be able to get into it. Can’t remember the name, Olebele or something like that. So disappointing! Hope you can find a solution!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 8
RE: Under the Sea from AS&E #96 - 5/11/2018 6:40:00 AM   
KathyD

Grammie - I'm so sorry for this problem. I haven't been here recently, so am just seeing this. The apron is adorable and I know you are sick that it doesn't fit. I will have to pick up the original one from my daughter and check the measurements to see if the magazine changed anything. I do have the test sample that I made prior to making the ones for the magazine, and the size 2 had a neck opening that opens to 20". The average head measurement for a 2 year old is 17". I know that all 3 of our granddaughter's wore the dresses that were in the magazine without any problems. One of them has a much larger head than the other 2.

I did see on the pattern pull out that they indicate that the Chantilly version uses a 3/8" seam allowance while the Under the Sea the neckline is a bound edge. That is rather confusing to me. I also see that they didn't adjust the placket for larger sizes, which should have been done. Kids heads grow. Obviously, if you're turning a bias band to the inside, as with the Chantilly version, the neckline will be larger than if you use the edge as the finished edge. I think that they forgot to mention that you need to trim away the seam allowance for the Under the Sea version. Ugh!

I wish I could think of a quick and easy solution for the problem, but one escapes me at the moment. I think you would have to remove the bias at the back neck and then make a longer placket. I'm so sorry. I sure with the magazine would have sent the designers the pattern/instructions for review prior to publishing, but that never happened. So many problems could have been avoided that way.

Just a FYI - if you ever make the version with the lace, they put the wrong measurement for that as well. You need twice the amount of lace indicated to go around the skirt portion. Ugh!

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Under the Sea from AS&E #96 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy