Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Un-update on my building project

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Un-update on my building project Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Un-update on my building project - 4/14/2018 7:12:11 PM   
mizzlilly

I think it’s pretty widespread, but we are in the middle of a freak and frightful ice storm. Demolition was supposed to start Monday. The contractor just let me know they are delaying until Wednesday or Thursday to ensure all of the ice is gone and they can work safely. Mid April and this is the weather we’ve got...we waited an extra couple of weeks and this is our reward...

I’ve been without hot water since early yesterday. I just had someone in last week to check the water heater since it didn’t seem to be working properly...was told it was operating within specs...only a little over 8 years old and then yesterday it starts leaking all over. We have a direct vent, rather than a power vent (more expensive, but quieter and you still have hot water if the electricity goes out) and they are scarcer than hen’s teeth. They found just one available in the area and it is supposed to be installed Monday afternoon. If it gets here with this weather...you can wash up in the sink, but really can’t do your hair. I’d go out and get my hair done somewhere, but it’s way too treacherous. Heating water to wash dishes in the sink gets old fast...as far as I know my dishwasher is plumbed with hot only, and that is shut completely off because of the leak. New one will cost $3350 😭

Doggie got me up early yesterday...poor puppy was sick with vomiting and diarrhea. Really didn’t get enough sleep and walked around all day rather like a zombie. My niece was here helping me move some last minute (or so I thought) things out of the sewing room, etc. And I was so dopey I neglected to mention that there was one basket of fabric I wanted to have to work with during construction...back tracked trying to find it to no avail. Sarah’s bedroom is pretty much wall to wall fabric and containers...three machines in my bedroom, one in Sarah’s room, three in the hall. Having lived with chaos for six months already I feel like I am at the end of my rope and we haven’t actually even started yet. This is definitely my last, very last renovation.

One good thing to report...our sweet Gillie found a copy of the spring Classic Sewing for me and at a very good price...so it is on its way to my US address and I shall have it next trip. A big thank you to Gillie!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/
Post #: 1
RE: Un-update on my building project - 4/14/2018 11:47:50 PM   
SewLynn

I understand somewhat Lillian ... we are under a severe weather warning due to the ice storm as well. And, I am in the middle of moving! We filled a van and an SUV this afternoon with about 1/3 of the contents of my sewing room and delivered them to my new apartment today, grabbed some lunch at the Legion fund-raiser, it was raining as we ate with the temps just about at the freezing point, so we then retreated to each of our homes in anticipation of the storm. I have spent the evening packing more boxes in my sewing room and hopefully we can move another van load tomorrow.

I could add to the drama, detailing one of the reasons I want out of the apartment I'm in now ... things 'erupted' again this evening with lots of yelling and banging around in the apartment below me, but, well ... you probably get the idea.

I'm happy to hear that you are getting your magazine!!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 2
RE: Un-update on my building project - 4/15/2018 10:54:11 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

So sorry about the weather ..... well we had foot after foot after foot of snow I had 3 ft high snow banks all down 200 ft driveway and one huge mountain of snow the size and height of a single car garage blocking the parking pad for RVs well I don't use it anyway but in case of a fire I could exit my bedroom with the dogs take the deck down the stairs and around the back of the garage and then what???? face that mountain of snow... well it has receded it is only half as big and half as wide... my cousin in Gannonaque has a sheet of ice on his front door makes it look like frosted glass but my days spent in Montreal tell me it is ice not frosted glass. meanwhile in places the snow has melted leaving grass but most other places covered in snow... that has had freezing drizzle coat it so that my maltese can walk across the top without sinking. I have a porcupine living under my porch... opened the front door and right 18 inches on the porch come foot to foot with him... he waddled off meanwhile thank God I had managed to shut the door in the hall so the dogs could not get into the foyer and out on the porch..... next morning shovelled snow onto my front porch then pushed it off the side down over his entrance /exit to porch he made a nice little tunnel... well shut that off with snow tampered it well down and every day added more... it has been 4-1/2 days since my encounter... I took the screen off dining room window so I could wind it out and see if he was out eating birdseed before I let the dogs out - no sign of him so put on more lights and went out myself little voice warned me...... and yes he had wandered over the pile of snow and gone in search of more food......so I read unlike squirrels they do not hoard food for winter.... they eat bark and can climb trees but are clumsy and often fall out... so he is shut in - hopefully no food... called fish and wildlife at 1:10 pm only to receive message our office hours are 8-12 and 1-4 please call back during office hours... hmmmm oh if you want to report a poacher or.... call..... otherwise good luck emailed someone who had a pest control ad - that was last week never heard back guess he isn't into racoon or porcupine type pests likely more the other kinds of pests.... must be slow for him no bees or wasps or spiders - we don't have snakes or rats so that leaves bedbugs and cockroaches and I have never seen a cockroach anywhere here since 1978 This has been horrendous winter in Calgary I have never seen this much snow since we moved here 1999 too much snow for John Deere to handle many times and at $85-95 per snowfall it gets old fast I fear the grass will start growing in May in places and other places not yet thawed....

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 3
RE: Un-update on my building project - 4/15/2018 3:54:43 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Oh, Lillian. I'm so sorry to hear about all the chaos! Having no hot water is the worst...right up there next to not having electricity. And when it happens during dreadful weather, it just adds insult to injury!! I hope the water heater is installed without delay on Monday and there will be no further delays on the construction. I surely hope Paddy is feeling better and that you were able to get some rest...please, take good care of you!! That's most important!!

I am so glad Gillie found a copy of the CS magazine for you. (Thanks, Gillie). I hope you don't have similar problems with the current issue's delivery. It's unacceptable for them to not replace issues that are not received or have been damaged. They should credit you for the missed issue if they can't replace it. The subscription is not inexpensive.

Barbara

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 4
RE: Un-update on my building project - 4/15/2018 10:36:48 PM   
caaguirre

A nightmare which, hopefully, is short lived. Having no washing machine with a sick doggie is terrible too, I truly encourage you to hold onto whatever sanity you have left and try to ride this out as calmly as possible. There will be a happy ending, it's just around the corner. My condolences to all of you having to deal with this weather, spring can't come soon enough.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 5
RE: Un-update on my building project - 4/16/2018 11:32:51 AM   
mizzlilly

Thanks girls. Lynn, not good weather for a move either, to say the least. We have just the most awful mess of frozen solid ice and snow. The contractor just confirmed that the start has been delayed by a whole week. The good thing is that we should be able to get our Mustang out of the garage once this whole mess melts. We really didn’t know what we were going to do if they were bringing the disposal bin today. And the men are almost finished installing the new hot water heater! Thank goodness.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Un-update on my building project - 4/16/2018 3:50:55 PM   
Pat C.

Glad you're at least, getting hot water back! Hang in there:)

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Un-update on my building project Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy