Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Moving ...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Moving ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving ... - 4/16/2018 12:05:31 AM   
SewLynn

Oh ... so much to pack! The sewing room is only 11 x 11 and I cannot believe what I have accumulated in the 12 years I've lived here. Finally, though ... the bins of fabric and planned projects have been sorted and moved, the sewing machines (4) and sewing table moved today. The big desk, computer hutch, 2 bookcases, and the cabinet my father built 30 years ago will wait for the movers to arrive on Wednesday. The rest of my apartment will be nothing compared to my sewing room. LOL ... no doubt, most of you can relate!!! The upside is that the new sewing room is about the same size, but has twice the closet space! Although ... that has it's downside too ... that's one less wall to arrange furniture on. I will make it work ... the new space is quite nice.

Member since 2001.
Post #: 1
RE: Moving ... - 4/16/2018 9:40:37 AM   
NormaK

Praying all goes well! I'm glad to hear that you'll have more closed-in storage space.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving ... - 4/16/2018 4:35:46 PM   
Fancy Stitches

You are making such good progress, Lynn. I hope your weather has improved...moving is difficult enough without having to contend with cold, wet, nasty weather. I hope your new home will be delightful (and peaceful). Please take good care of you and make sure to get rest when you can. It's so easy to over-do when we're anxious to get everything settled.

Barbara

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving ... - 4/16/2018 11:13:26 PM   
SewLynn

Only one day left to pack up things that need to be removed from the furniture. While it would be wonderful to be further along so the movers could just empty the apartment, I've had some delays here and there. Finding boxes has been the biggest challenge - I've had the best luck at small businesses, they seem to be happy to get rid of them. I have too many books, so have been sorting those out too - I have hundreds of sewing related and cooking/nutrition related books. Getting rid of more than half ... now ... just need to find a place that will take them, I'd hate to have to dump them into the recycling, but seems that some donation centers don't want books anymore. Once the movers come, I only have 5 days to finish moving small things and clean out the existing apartment. I have no desire to move again!

Weather forecast for Wednesday is not real nice, although at least it isn't supposed to be as nasty as today was.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving ... - 4/17/2018 6:39:13 AM   
Joanne

Lynn - check your local library. Mine took all my hard cover books. there are also big bins around town here (Mass) that collect books you want to get rid of.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving ... - 4/17/2018 2:48:59 PM   
caaguirre

I relate 100% with a sewing room being the most challenging to pack up, trouble is my 11 x 11 room has slopped over into another room too. Hope all goes well and you're happily situated in your new home soon,

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Joanne)
Post #: 6
RE: Moving ... - 4/18/2018 11:47:36 AM   
vpenner

Actually, when we move, the fabric is easy to pack up because we've found over the years that it is perfect for wrapping/cushioning the breakables. Hence, my hubby doesn't mind having the fabric around so much. The books (even though I've culled mine quite a bit) are a different story...

Mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (28)

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: Moving ... - 4/20/2018 6:54:58 PM   
mizzlilly

I can’t believe it’s 12 years since you moved last Lynn! I sure can attest to how much stuff can be packed into a sewing room. The one I’ve emptied out is just a little bit bigger. I hope your weather for the move wasn’t as bad as ours here. They still can’t get the storage bin out of my driveway. It’s warmed up and melting here, but not nearly as warm as forecast. A good thing in a way...faster melting would have led to flooding. It was actually warmer at the North Pole the other day then it was here! Crazy. Hope you get settled in to your new place and are very happy there...and maybe you’ll share pictures.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 8
RE: Moving ... - 4/24/2018 11:57:41 AM   
valdiva

How did the move go Lynn? Hope the new place makes you happy, happy, happy!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 9
RE: Moving ... - 4/24/2018 6:20:33 PM   
SewLynn

Okay then ... I turned in my keys at the old place, and am fully in my new apartment. That's not to say that things are anywhere near organized, but ... they are all here! Kitchen and bathroom are mostly functional, and I can sleep in my bed. Now, it's little by little getting things organized. My son and my guy are awesome!!! I hired movers for the furniture and boxes of kitchen and bathroom stuff. But ... my crystal, my depression glass collection, clothes and sewing room contents were mostly Mike (my son) and Art (my special guy). My son's little ones - age 8 and 10, - were tasked with smalls and they were just AMAZING!!! The 8 YO granddaughter organized ALL of my shoes (ummm ... and that's a lot ... I've been called Imelda ... LOL.) I love my new place. Lots of light, and only 7 stairs instead of 21 (my main reason for moving). I don't plan to go anywhere until I reach a point in life where I'm not able to take care of myself again. Unpacked 6 boxes tonight, and if I can keep going at that rate, I will be in good shape when I leave for NC for my mother's day trip in about 3 weeks.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to valdiva)
Post #: 10
RE: Moving ... - 4/24/2018 9:28:29 PM   
NormaK

Thank you, Lynn, for the report. I'm very happy that the move has been accomplished, and bed, bath, and kitchen are usable!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 11
RE: Moving ... - 4/26/2018 8:15:06 AM   
KarenVA

I love hearing how happy you sound, Lynn!! I'm glad the move went so well and you had such amazing helpers!! When my DH was active duty military, we moved often and I tried to make our home look like we'd always been there right away. The plus in that was losing weight!! A heck of a diet, for sure! Now we've lived in this house for 22 years--I've gained and my stash has gained!!! LOL

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 12
RE: Moving ... - 4/28/2018 12:37:45 PM   
mizzlilly

Good for you Lynn! Karen, we’ve been in this house 35 years come June 27th. A lot of “weight” of all kinds, and stash and stuff. Oh yes, lots of stuff!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 13
RE: Moving ... - 5/4/2018 12:37:58 PM   
SewLynn

Unpacked enough in the sewing room to sew a little, and mostly unpacked in the bedroom and bathroom. Living room still has some boxes for the dining room and kitchen, but all are functional areas at this point. I have attempted some sewing today - feeling very creatively deprived! But keep having to stop to unpack one more box to find simple things - like, scotch tape! LOL, need to tape together a PDF pattern.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Moving ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll