Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Anyone doing summer sewing?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Anyone doing summer sewing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/23/2018 2:04:32 PM   
Linda S.

The group is so quiet now that Easter is over...is anyone doing summer sewing?

I'm working on a plaid blouse for myself, using a light weight fabric (maybe lawn?)
and can't find the collar pattern piece! Grrrrr. The last time I made this I drafted a
new collar pattern, using Nancy Zieman's magic collar and must have accidently
tossed the original collar pattern. Now, I'm trying to reverse engineer it...so I can
use this plaid.

It's for Butterick B5526 and I know Bunny has this pattern and made at least
one blouse from it. Haven't heard from Bunny in a while though...hope all is well
with her.
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/23/2018 3:21:14 PM   
Bobette

Hope Bunny has the piece and can print it off and mail it!! I have too man irons in the fire to do much sewing. Busy with graduations in May, a wedding on April 28 and another in July--both out of town. I do come and read here once in awhile and keep my toes in the machine embroidery water so to speak.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/23/2018 3:36:22 PM   
Linda S.

Bobette, What is a "man iron"? I know what the phrase "irons in the fire" means...is a
man iron the same thing? LOL! Will you be sewing anything for the graduations?

I do far more studying of sewing than I ever actually sew. But even if I can't sew because
so many other tasks are pressing down on me, I can still dream about it in my mind. And
I can also come here and sew vicariously through you guys : ).

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/23/2018 3:44:01 PM   
caaguirre

I've got fabric on my kitchen table waiting to be cut but the days get away from me before I can get to it. And now I signed up for the short term Craftsy Unlimited and am watching videos instead of sewing. Bad Carol, bad bad Carol.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/23/2018 11:23:46 PM   
MoDo

I'm hoping to get some summer jumpers stitched up for my DGD . After that it will be planning her birthday dress!

Carol--I signed up for the Craftsy Unlimited trial and am quite overwhelmed with how many videos there actually are to watch! My main interests are sewing and jewelry, so I will try to narrow my viewing to those categories, although I did see some cake and cookie baking titles that caught my attention .

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/25/2018 10:52:16 PM   
Linda S.

Carol, what are you making? I have fabric on my dinning room table that's been there for a
week...at least lol! By now I should have reverse engineered that collar but for some reason
my brain can't figure it out. The older I get, the harder these things seem to be.

MoDo, I saw that craftsy offer, and dog gone it I waited too long. That was a really good deal....
maybe they'll run it again sometime soon.

Of course this time of year I'm torn between the yard work I should be doing, and sewing I want
to be doing. There's something to be said for those cold winter days, when weed pulling is a thing
of the past. I can sit and sew without feeling the least bit guilty : ).

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/26/2018 4:58:24 PM   
caaguirre

Linda, I have fabric sitting there for a truck themed quilt for my ggs and a stuffed bunny I want to make just for fun to add to my spring/summer decorations. I'm going to start with the bunny because the quilt is machine embroidery and it takes me a long time to choose applique fabric, threads, etc.

I know what you mean about the brain failing us on some of these things. I needed to calculate almost exactly what size to cut fabric for a button closed pillow back. I had the worst time until I made a sample from paper. Now this isn't rocket science but my poor little brain just couldn't figure it out in my head.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/28/2018 12:31:14 PM   
mizzlilly

I will commiserate with all of you wannabe sew-ers. Sewing space is completely discombobulated. Linda, try tracing off the collar without the seam allowances...I think you need to remove the centre back seam allowance, and then add the seam allowance back on at centre front... if it’s the same collar modification I’m thinking of.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/28/2018 5:39:09 PM   
Grammie

Believe it or not, I'm sewing doll clothes! Special requests from my youngest grandkids. Kind of fun- but soooooooo fussy!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 4/30/2018 2:02:36 PM   
Linda S.

Lillian,

I should be able to reverse engineer this magic collar, but my old brain just doesn't work the
way it used to. So frustrating at times! I can't seem to catch on to new technology either, and
have resigned myself to using old information...sigh....

When I used the magic collar, I must have made a mistake somewhere along the line because
it needed quite a bit of tweaking. Now I don't know if I can trust the new pattern piece, to reverse
the process. I made so many notes on the new magic collar, pattern piece it doesn't even make
sense anymore LOL! Good grief...looks like I got a good start on a short book!

I made a new post about this, calling out to anyone who might have the pattern. Seems like I
remember someone else besides Bunny having this pattern. Guess we'll see : )

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/4/2018 12:48:46 PM   
SewLynn

I printed off the June pattern from VFT this morning, found some fabric that will work well for my son's youngest daughter, prepped it, and getting ready to go after a month of no sewing!!!!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/11/2018 1:06:09 PM   
Linda S.

Lynn, Oh my goodness, I'd be having sewing withdrawal symptoms after a whole month.
I don't get to sew as much in summer, because of all the yard work that needs doing...but
sure do miss it.

Would love to see the garment when you're finished : ).

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/20/2018 12:07:32 PM   
SewLynn

Okay ... here we go!!

I still have boxes to unpack, but nothing I need right away, and so ... after over a month of not much sewing, here's what's on the to-do list:
- Finish up the VFT June dress for the 8 year old granddaughter.
- Finish up Vogue 1356 using a couple of silk saris for my best friend in the Seattle area who is coming to visit in 3 weeks. The wearable muslin that I shipped out early spring fits 'perfect' she says.
- Construct a "Marcia Overstrand" dress and robe for the 9 year old granddaughter using Timeless Treasures Tonga Batik Purple IKat Diamonds for the dress, and McCalls 7680.
Cape fabric TBD, and I have a couple of cape patterns.
- Machine embroider a Dressbarn denim jacket I picked up on sale.

While on vacation this past week, I made the youngest granddaughter (6 1/2) the Esmee nightgown from Violette Field Threads, and an older fabric from my stash. Oh, and a Bitty Baby doll dress to match. (Posting separately.)

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/20/2018 3:28:50 PM   
MoDo

Oh, my, Lynn!! I'm tired just reading your list!

I'd like to do some sewing, but I still haven't finished my jewelry appraiser course and the October deadline is looming for me .

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/21/2018 9:57:51 AM   
SewLynn

MoDo ... that sounds so interesting - to be able to appraise jewelry! Best of luck to you with your course.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/21/2018 1:48:10 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Lynn. I'll let you know whether I pass or not

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/21/2018 9:54:48 PM   
NormaK

I got in a decluttering frenzy several weeks ago, which was very productive for a period of time. However, I ended up with the little things--lots of little things--to go through in my sewing/photo scrapbook room. That's where I've gotten stuck. I'm hoping to "quickly" go through some of the mess tomorrow and/or get the machine embroidery done on two kitchen towels (part of a wedding gift). I also have a friend/customer who will bring over an awards ribbon/sash on which I embroider a logo for the "club" she has with her grandchildren. I'm not sure what it's called, but it is a crossbody sash on which pins, ribbons, and other awards are fastened as they are earned.

What launched the decluttering frenzy was a week or so of repairing some of my clothing (new elastic, for example) and finishing off other clothing to give away. One mother with a number of girls was thrilled to get a bunch of new cotton knit tops for them.

I AM looking forward to starting a new sewing project--just not sure when or what!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone doing summer sewing? - 5/22/2018 12:55:46 PM   
vpenner

I'm with you, Norma. I've been purging in the sewing/craft room. Sometimes it seems to create a bigger mess before I'm through. I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff I knew I'd realistically never use, enough to eliminate a storage drawer cart (will repurpose in another room). I purged books only a few months ago, so they are to a minimum already. I've purged the storage closet in the hallway that I claimed when we moved in and next need to purge the closet in the actual sewing room. I've been "shopping my stash" and don't really have anything there that needs to go (besides, it makes good packing material!!). I'm saving the patterns for the last. I purged them last year, but they could use some more paring as I'm coming to accept the fact that I may never have grandchildren to sew for so don't need so many. (I recently donated some projects to a clothing exchange at church, and the recipient gave them to her daughter for her little granddaughter, and the mother is loving them). Besides, the basics really are sufficient if looking at it from a minimalist perspective. All of this was precipitated by the facts that a) I need to make room to spray-baste a couple of king size quilts (somehow) and b) we may be making a cross-country move--Nevada to the East Coast--within two years, so I want to minimize now rather than wait until the last minute (my husband is gradually coming to that conclusion as well, thankfully. We'll see how quickly he actually decides to make some meaningful progress toward that goal). Happy decluttering to you!!

Mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (28)

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Anyone doing summer sewing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy