Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Diappointed in fabric bought online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Diappointed in fabric bought online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/12/2018 7:31:29 PM   
Penny Hal

For years now I've used a bottom weight fabric that I'd buy from my local Joann's. Last September the local store stopped carrying it, so I bought a bolt of it online from Joanns. It came, but I did not need it until today. I was shocked that the fabric was just a cotton/poly blend that was light weight. It was labeled as a "sport" fabric. It is just horribly wrinked to boot. I have no clue what I can use this fabric for as I need a heavier fabric. I emailed them and am waiting to hear back. I have no clue what would be a good substitute for what I was using either. There simply not any fabric stores around here anymore than Joanns. Maybe I'll need to iron on some sort of heavy weight stabilizer to the fabric to make it useable.

Penny
Post #: 1
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/12/2018 8:02:14 PM   
Linda S.

What a shame. Our local Joanne has stopped carrying many garment fabrics that I liked. And I really
prefer being able to see the fabric, and touch it before buying. Just not one to order samples, then wait.
I don't usually even know what to call the fabric I'm looking for...making matters worse. What were
you going to make with it?

Hope online Joanne makes this right for you, and at least allows you to return it. Still a pain in the
neck to have to do that though, on top of being disappointed. Sorry.

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/13/2018 4:45:51 AM   
allgood

I feel your pain! I want to recommend Vogue Fabrics Swatch Club if you sew garments. They send you six catalogs a year with swatches and descriptions. It is $30 a year. Their prices are the best I have found on the internet and they have many sales. Right now they have a Mother's Day sale on all silk. They send you notices by email, they have a rewards program, and I am totally hooked.

GH in the Midwest

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 3
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/13/2018 1:54:26 PM   
Penny Hal

I got an automated email saying that it may take a couple of days to get back to me.

I use it for all my mug rugs and for pillows. I use this fabric every day. It is heavy enough to stand up to dense stitches, but light enough to not be bulky. After getting over the shock of the white, I opened the black I had bought and it was bottom weight. I use very little balck unless it's for men. I can't imagine working with all black fabrid. Things would not look as nice, but I did use it yesterday for a bobcat. I am still not over the shock of this! I hate it when any item that is used for years suddenly disappears. I sell $400+ worth of my mug rugs a year and my customers expect a quality product.

What has really disappeard are the fabric stores.

Penny

(in reply to allgood)
Post #: 4
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/13/2018 2:49:45 PM   
Pat C.

Penney, years ago I bought bottom weight fabric from JoAnn that was then called Trigger. A few years later when I went to purchase again, the name had been changed to Target. It seemed the same to me. Was very sturdy and didn't wrinkle. I used it for tote bags and didn't use any interfacing. They held up very well. I haven't looked for it and quite some time, but wondered if this is what you had been using?

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/14/2018 1:27:11 PM   
Penny Hal

No, I don't recall even seeing Target in the store. I checked out everything white they had. But it sounds like it would fit the bill.

I got an email saying that they'd refund my money. I can take it to the local Joanns.

I called customer service to find out if they actually had bottom weight fabric that they have posted on their website. They have a denim that has spandex in it. I'm not sure that having a fabric with stretch would stitch out very well.

So, now I'm thinking of going up to LA and see what they have there.

I guess not being able to get something from your supplier is common for whatever reason. Fortunately, I have enough stock to do the Cancer Suvivor Conference that I always do in June. Toliet tissue sold well last year, but pretty bulky to display in limited space.

Penny

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 6
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/15/2018 7:16:33 PM   
Penny Hal

I returned the fabric that I had ordered. It was quite a process and they don't carry bottom weight anymore, but it said bottom weight on the receipt and that didn't match up with what was on the bolt. So, I got my money back.

Pat, Thanks for the hint!

I looked all over for it in the store today and finely found it. I bought some and am testing it out now. I'm testing it out tonight. I was a little concerned that it said to wash in cold water and don't use chlorine bleach...I'll have to give it a test run in the washing machine. I usually wash them with the harshest settings I have so that I know that they won't have a problem for the people who buy them. Since it's white, I can sure see where people would use chlorine bleach!

Penny

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 7
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/15/2018 9:26:45 PM   
allgood

I think I saw a video where Sonia Showalter who does all those beautiful free monogram samples was asked what fabric she uses as the base, and she said she always buys the 019 linen from Fabrics-Store.com and uses it for everything. I think it's about $10 or $11 a yard, 59" wide, and sometimes goes on sale. I've been meaning to try some, but I haven't been doing much embroidery lately. I was thinking it might work for you. Good luck anyway.

GH in the Midwest

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 8
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/16/2018 4:41:35 PM   
Penny Hal

Stitched out a rug yesterday and it turned out beautifully! I actually like the results better than what I was using! Target is actually about $20 a yard, so you have to wait for a coupon. Guess this was a good lesson how something bac can actually be something wondeful. One happy camper here!

Penny

(in reply to allgood)
Post #: 9
RE: Diappointed in fabric bought online - 5/16/2018 9:08:16 PM   
Pat C.

Penney, glad to know you can be back to creating!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Diappointed in fabric bought online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy