Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Embroidering on MILKY?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Embroidering on MILKY? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/17/2018 6:01:23 PM   
DebiG

I have three Milky Blankets" a friend wants personalized. Will someone help me about what font - underlining - backing will work?

I am open to ALL suggestions. I read that using a tear away under a slovy on the top will keep the fibers from poking out... at first I can see YES but what about after a few washings?

I am LOST!

Thank you for your help!
SMILES
Debi
Post #: 1
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/17/2018 6:20:29 PM   
Grammie

I think she means "Minky"...and that fabric needs an iron-on stabilizer or it slithers away!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to DebiG)
Post #: 2
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/17/2018 8:20:18 PM   
Nananeva

The plastic type Water Soluble Stabilizer is a must for the top, to keep stitches from disappearing in the plush. I would hoop a tearaway stabilizer, spray it with 505 adhesive, and also pin the fabric to it. It works for embroidering towels...

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 5/17/2018 8:21:28 PM >

Neva

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/18/2018 7:24:27 AM   
kmroy

Last summer when I attended the MP licensing class in Arlington,TX we made an adorable
minky blanket with a cute fish embroidered on it. We used sticky stabilizer on the bottom and
we used Glad Press n Seal on the top. It worked like a charm and no sticky residue. Pealing
the stuff off was very easy. Our Minky had a nap so we pealed the stuff off with the gain.
I do remember the embroidery was an applique so that made it easy.

Give it a try....good luck
Kathy

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 4
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/18/2018 11:38:10 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Kathy - so if it is applique you did on the minky that press n seal is under the applique.... I did something similar - not because I had no stabilizer but read about press n seal...... I also think that it was a towel and applique and that towel never got used... every once in a while I pull it out and touch the design - it crinkles because of the press n seal - I would not recommend the press N seal for that reason however if you are going for the sensory stimulator for a baby it might be all right just be away that press N seal is there for life....
I would use floriani wet n gone on top or H2gone or a wash away cotton looking stabilizer not the plastic type and yes a stabilizer like perfect stick on the bottom to hold that MINKY

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to kmroy)
Post #: 5
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/18/2018 12:58:23 PM   
kmroy

Shirley,

You are right the press and seal is probably there for life. I did give the blanket away but when
I pressed on it right after it was made it did not crinkle. Also, it helped keep all the fly away
fuzz from being so messy as we applied the press and seal before we cut it to size on the end
where the applique was embroidered. I would use it again as it just made it easier and not
worry about the possibility of crinkle sound. Or not use it with applique.

Kathy

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 6
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/18/2018 2:00:14 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

That crinkle under the applique drove me nuts..... it is in my linen closet and I bet before the day is out I am going to dig it out and crickle that mistake but it is perfect better than perfect for baby things.... when you are making those busy squares - you attach ribbon and satin and cord and all manner of things to challenge sensory development.... I should perhaps cut that towel and make a baby bib out of it.....

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to kmroy)
Post #: 7
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/18/2018 6:07:00 PM   
DebiG

YES, it is "Minky". I have made items with this fabric and I have used the Press and Seal very effectively.

My machine has only satin stitches for lettering. Will the Press an Seal hold up during washing and drying?

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 8
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/18/2018 6:07:57 PM   
DebiG

YES, it is "Minky". I have made items with this fabric and I have used the Press and Seal very effectively.

My machine has only satin stitches for lettering. Will the Press an Seal hold up during washing and drying?

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 9
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/18/2018 6:10:17 PM   
DebiG

If anyone knows where I can find a "cross hatched" alphabet which I can size... that will be helpful as well.

THANK ALL of YOU for the input!!

SMILES & HUGS!

(in reply to DebiG)
Post #: 10
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/19/2018 8:44:48 PM   
KarenVA

Are these what you are looking for:

https://www.windstarembroidery.com/Results.cfm?secondary=224

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to DebiG)
Post #: 11
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/19/2018 11:19:54 PM   
Linda S.

Debi, I'm not an expert on machine embroidery, but you really don't need the press n' seal to hold
up through washing and drying. After the embroidery is nicely done, it's served it's purpose. It
probably is there for the life of the garment.

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 12
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/21/2018 10:53:20 PM   
caaguirre

I Googled "machine embroidery cross stitch alphabet" and found lots of sites. Becky J has some but I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. https://www.secretsof.com/machine-embroidery/designs/Becky-J-Cross-Stitch this is her shop at Secrets.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 13
RE: Embroidering on MILKY? - 5/22/2018 11:05:46 AM   
DebiG

Kathy,

Thank you! I did not give a cross-hatch (stitch) any thought; I will get a set and try it out. I did find a "padded" stitch and will try that today.

THANK YOU for your help!
SMILES!
Debi

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Embroidering on MILKY? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy