Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

OT BAKING QUESTION

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> OT BAKING QUESTION Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/20/2018 3:44:22 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Ages ago I think I saw bread making on King Arthur Flour using a cast iron covered dutch oven or a bread cloche
Does anyone bake bread? and use the cast iron heated dutch oven...
I was wanting to buy one but when they went on sale there was no free shipping - there really is no free shipping ever
to Canada it is a flat rate like $21 then when shipping is $3 or whatever it is 3+21 so you have to really want the items
Anyway I bought a cast iron 5 quart Pioneer Woman brand and want to try making bread in it... like a round crusty loaf or would
be happy even with Italian calabrese type bread

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine
Post #: 1
RE: OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/20/2018 6:09:53 PM   
ssstitches

Shirley,
My dil makes bread like that and it is so good. They are in the middle of moving right now.
So, as soon as she can get to her cookbooks I will ask her to take a picture of the recipe and I will forwarded it to you.
I am sure someone on this blog will come up with one sooner though.

Happy baking!

Martha

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 2
RE: OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/20/2018 7:06:04 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Martha do you think that it is the no knead recipe from NYTimes? they started with all white and then a bread flour and whole wheat flour mixture you mix it up cover it and leave it at least 12 hours... then heat to 450 or 500 put your pot and lid in the oven for half hour and bake the bread 30 minutes lid off and bake 15 to brown.. 4 ingredients - flour yeast salt water

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to ssstitches)
Post #: 3
RE: OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/20/2018 7:19:38 PM   
Daylily430

Shirley, I tried searching “cast iron” on their website and came up with this page for batter breads

https://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?w=no%20knead%20cast%20iron%20bread&af=type:recipes

Ellen
Blog www.seamsandfinishes.com

(in reply to ssstitches)
Post #: 4
RE: OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/21/2018 9:55:45 AM   
SewLynn

My grandmother used to make bread like that when I was growing up. It was wonderful. But, I do not have that recipe - she was a wonderful cook/baker and so much of what she made went with her passing, most of the recipes were not written down. One of my Aunts claimed to have her fried cakes recipe and I tried it but they turned out nothing like gram's.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 5
RE: OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/21/2018 10:35:59 PM   
caaguirre

Shirley, I Googled "bread baked in cast iron" and came up with lots of sites. I know either America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country did a segment on a bread in a dutch oven. I can look in my cookbooks to find it if you like. I do remember they used a large piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom and sides of the pot. I didn't see that technique in any of the sites I looked at. Be sure to check out the Le Creuset (sp?) site as this was the dutch oven ATK used.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 6
RE: OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/22/2018 9:47:36 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

One of the recipes had you remove dough from bowl and put it on a sheet of parchment and using the parchment as handles lower it into the very hot cast iron dutch oven think they said sprinkle with flour or cornmeal or??? think I would sprinikle with the corn meal on the parchment...

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: OT BAKING QUESTION - 5/22/2018 2:57:08 PM   
ssstitches

Shirley,
Sorry so late to this. I think my dil made an artisan bread with kneading. The crust was crusty and delicious .

Martha

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> OT BAKING QUESTION Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll