Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Making buttonholes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Making buttonholes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making buttonholes - 5/25/2018 1:44:19 AM   
caaguirre

Many of you may already know this technique but it was new to me. Sue Hausmann taught this for avoiding any fraying at the buttonhole's cut edges. During construction of the blouse (or other garment) she not only fused interfacing in the buttonhole area, she layed in a strip of paper backed fusible web, removed the paper, and folded the facing over WITHOUT FUSING IT DOWN. Then she made her buttonholes, cut them open, and then ironed over the area which fused the web into place and sealed that cut area. She said you can also use individual pieces of web for each buttonhole but the strip doesn't add additional bulk and seems easier to her. I'm going to do this from now on instead of using seam sealant which makes the holes so stiff and caused discoloration for at least one of you if I remember correctly.

Happy Sewing, Carol
Post #: 1
RE: Making buttonholes - 5/25/2018 9:05:13 AM   
Linda S.

Great tip Carol! I had trouble using fray check on a baby diaper set, and was beside myself trying
to get those brown stains out. I've never had that problem before, and of course it would happen
when I was making something special....isn't that they way it always goes?

I've since ditched my Fray-check brand seam sealant, and hesitate to use any kind now....at least
on light color fabrics. I came to the conclusion the stains were due to a combination of products
used on those buttonholes, but I'll never know which combination caused it. If memory serves,
I marked the holes with blue wash-out marking pen, used a sticky back stabilizer, probably some
spray starch along the way....and who knows if I got all the soap out when I prewashed my fabric.

My Fray Check was pretty old too. That might have been a factor.

Since then I've heard from others who had this staining problems. They didn't know
why it happened one time, but not another.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 2
RE: Making buttonholes - 5/25/2018 12:02:13 PM   
SewLynn

Great tip.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 3
RE: Making buttonholes - 7/24/2018 3:40:50 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Thanks so much for this information, Carol. I just finished a casual shirt for my DGS and used this technique for the buttonholes. It works GREAT!! So much better than using sealant. :)

Barbara

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 4
RE: Making buttonholes - 7/25/2018 9:31:48 PM   
caaguirre

So glad it worked out for you, I've learned many good tips from my Craftsy viewing.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Making buttonholes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll