Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Hand Pinstitching help/instructions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Hand Sewing >> Hand Pinstitching help/instructions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hand Pinstitching help/instructions - 5/28/2018 2:24:12 PM   
Linda S.

Does anyone here do pinstitching (point de paris stitch) by hand? I like to do it by hand
when making woman's handkerchiefs out of fine fabric, and have done this before...not
too long ago either!

Anyway, I wanted to refresh my memory and could not find instructions online...anywhere,
at least not for the way I apparently do it. Instructions or tutorials for hand pinstitching are
rare to begin with....I only found one, and not the one I'm looking for.

When we're using a hand pinstitch to apply an applique, it's fine for some irregular looking
stitches to show on the back side (not readily seen). But for a sheer hankie, it doesn't look nice.

It took the better part of a week for me to remember/figure out, how I did it before. Guess
this old brain isn't what it used to be! Now I'd like to have instructions to refer to
next time I do this. I can write it down, but drawing illustrations would sure be nice.

Just hoping maybe someone else here does this. I know there are instructions somewhere
online, because that's how I learned to do it in the first place. Surely I saved that in favorites,
but for the life of me can't find it now. TIA
Post #: 1
RE: Hand Pinstitching help/instructions - 5/28/2018 5:26:38 PM   
MoDo

http://sewbeautifulmag.blogspot.com/2014/05/

parlez-vous francais? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4-7W1yyzk

There are also instructions in "Heirloom Sewing II" by Margaret Pierce, as well as in the DVD "Heirloom Embroidery II with Wendy Schoen". (I've never even opened that DVD; guess I should and watch it!)

Couldn't really find many other instructions online

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: Hand Pinstitching help/instructions - 5/28/2018 6:57:41 PM   
Linda S.

Thanks! I thought for sure I had it again, but nope. I can still see the thread from stitches
on the outside and the last ones I made didn't have that. How in the WORLD did I do that? LOL!!!

I have another idea to try...will let you know how this works but keep you in suspense until then.
And I'll take a look at what you shared. I know someone out there knows how to do this...that's how I learned.

If I didn't love the look so much, I would have given up a week ago...now I'm determined. And I'm making
a handkerchief for someone special and really want to do it this way ; ).

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 3
RE: Hand Pinstitching help/instructions - 5/28/2018 9:22:26 PM   
Linda S.

I figured out why I couldn't find the right hand pinstitching instructions. It isn't pinstitching LOL! I think what I did
was actually hemstitching or drawn work without removing any thread. It still makes the pretty little holes when done
on voile or a gauze type fabric, without removing the thread.

No clue how I came up with doing it this way, but I like it. Thanks for listening to be moan and groan while solving the
mystery : )

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: Hand Pinstitching help/instructions - 5/29/2018 1:41:38 PM   
MoDo

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Hand Sewing >> Hand Pinstitching help/instructions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy