Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Women's Construction >> Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? - 5/30/2018 9:03:23 PM   
Linda S.

I'm making a blouse for myself out of a very light weight cotton, and using a pattern
I've used before. The pattern is button down the front style, has a collar stand and pointed
collar. But I'd like to make that collar into a rounded, or peter pan style (I guess that's
what it's called).

But I can't decide if a rounded collar would look nice with a collar stand? This is a medium
size plaid print, and looks a little manish, now that I see it made up. I have the front sewn
to the back and am getting ready to do the collar soon.

Should I, or can I, leave off the collar stand and just round off the edges of the collar? Do
you think that would be ok? Or maybe I should use the stand too? Thoughts anyone?

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 5/30/2018 10:20:06 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? - 5/31/2018 11:22:56 PM   
SewLynn

I think I would keep the stand. Depending on the pattern, it could make the collar not lie flat without it. That's a terrible sentence, LOL ... but hopefully it makes sense. Tired!! Been sewing all day.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? - 6/2/2018 1:08:59 AM   
caaguirre

I agree with Sewlynn about the stand, but you could just round the collar poiints off a little bit so they aren't so pointed. I'm sure the blouse won't look mannish when you wear it, just a classic tailored shirt.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 3
RE: Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? - 6/22/2018 8:27:24 AM   
Linda S.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I figured this out : )

If a collar stand is used in a garment design, the blouse doesn't usually have a facing...or it doesn't need one.
On the other hand, without a stand one needs the facing to finish off the opening edges. So if I just omitted the
stand from my blouse (already cut out the pieces) it wouldn't look right....because the pattern didn't call for facing,
just turning under the leading edges where it buttons in front.

I decided to just use the stand and left off the collar. And purchased another pattern for a blouse without a collar
stand. My new pattern has facings that finish off the front opening and where the collar attaches. I think this pattern
will be the quick one I'm looking for.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? - 6/22/2018 12:20:26 PM   
Nananeva

That is interesting. Thank you for sharing. Things get confusing, especially if I try to check questions by looking at Ready-to-Wear in the shops. The modern clothing designers think such rules are made to be broken.

Neva

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? - 6/22/2018 5:08:43 PM   
caaguirre

Glad you worked it out, I like the look for that type of collar, we used to call it a Mandarin collar not sure if that's still the case.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Women's Construction >> Collar help/suggestions for Peter Pan please? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy