Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

What Are good beginner projects?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> What Are good beginner projects? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Are good beginner projects? - 6/4/2018 11:35:22 PM   
SewingGrammy

Ok, so I have this new machine basically figured out. I want to try some easy beginner projects before doing anything too fancy. What do you all recommend?

Eventually I would like to do some embroidery on T-shirts for the grand kids, some monogrammed towels for wedding gifts, some sprays of wild flowers on dish towels form my youngest daughter, and I am sure I can think of more. However I realize I should start small and work up.

What types of stabilizers work best for what projects?

Thanks ladies!
Post #: 1
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/6/2018 9:00:03 AM   
KarenVA

WooHoo I'm excited for you, Grammy!! I took an online class from Jenny Haskins so I wouldn't feel so intimidated by stabilizer.

Here is a link to her stabilizer workbook--other companies have similar stabilizers:
http://www.rnkdistributing.com/resources/workbooks-guides/JennyHaskinsStabilizerWorkbook.pdf

Also, Sonia Showalter has some FreeStanding Lace angel designs on her website that you could try to get a feel for things:
http://www.soniashowalterdesigns.com/angel-of-light/angel-of-light-2nd-edition/

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to SewingGrammy)
Post #: 2
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/6/2018 12:19:05 PM   
Penny Hal

How old are the kids? Do they already know how to use a regular sewing machine?

I'd start with a single color design on something like a tea towel, a medium weight tearawya stablilizer, spray glue, so that the towel and stabilizer can be hooped all together. The stabilizer will be easier to use and give a nice result.

Just cutting the stabilizer and hooping the project so it is straight in the hoop will take a while, so I'd use something that'd go in small hoop.

Penny

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 3
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/6/2018 2:08:02 PM   
caaguirre

Dish towels for yourself could be a good beginner project, that way if they turn out less than perfect you still have useable towels. Usually a tearaway stabilizer works fine unless it's a really dense design. Embroidery Library has some nice lessons on stabilizers.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 4
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/8/2018 12:28:49 PM   
Penny Hal

I was thinking...how about FSL? Like an initial from their name? They'd get the basics process without having to deal with color changes. Color changes could be the next lesson.

Penny

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/8/2018 11:29:54 PM   
SewingGrammy

Thanks, Karen, I will look those up! I definitely want to do some lace items. And stablizers can be confusing!

The "kid" is me, Penny! I turn 55 this month! I was just given an embroidery machine by my mother-in-law. She bought it new a few years back but never learned to use it. I have been sewing since I was 10 years old. I have made children's clothes and ladies clothes, done alterations, and made bridesmaid dresses, and a wedding gown, so I have a bit of experience, just not with an embroider machine. I think I will get some tea towels to do. They should be easier to work with than terry towels, right? I have the stabilizer, but will need to get the spray. Thanks!!

Thanks Carol, you and Penny agree! Dish towels it is! I have a lot of designs. My DMIL joined a club where they send a set of designs every month. She did a years worth but could only find 9 of them when I was out there. She said she will send the others when she finds them. But I have plenty to keep me busy! Wow there are lots of designs in each set.

I am going to go look up those links and will get some of that spray tomorrow. Thanks so much ladies!!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 6
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/9/2018 12:47:24 AM   
Nananeva

Water soluble stabilizer is required for making Free Standing Lace items. It is so much fun, and very easy. There again, Embroidery Library has great FSL designs, and wonderful tutorials. That is www.emblibrary.com.

Neva

Post #: 7
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/9/2018 6:53:25 PM   
Penny Hal

Never too old to be a kid!

Penny

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 8
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/9/2018 10:35:10 PM   
SewingGrammy

Thanks, Nananeva, but that link didn't work right. I will try to look up the Embroidery Library though. The free standing lace has been one of the projects I have always wanted to do! I will need to get the right type of water soluble stabilizer. The kind I have is the thin filmy stuff for putting on top of things like terry cloth towels or t-shirts I guess.

Yes, Penny, I agree!

So I bought some cotton muslin fabric today to make into tea towels and practice embroidery on. I figure all 3 daughters, and my DDIL could all use tea towels (who can't?) and I could use a couple too. I also talked to a friend who told me about bobbin thread for the embroidery machine. All my manual said was "use light weight thread." So I asked her what type. I didn't know if I should use the same thread as on top or what. Now I know!

I appreciate all the great suggestions! Just what I needed!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 9
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 1:10:39 AM   
Nananeva

I finished some more of the free flying butterflies, and came to see if anyone else is awake. We are using the butterflies in decorations for a grandsons wedding. Sorry that link wouldn't work. I went to the site, copied the URL line, and am pasting it here: https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx. They recently joined with Urban Threads. and both have pages on Facebook.

Bobbin thread for machine embroidery is usually 60 wt. Finishing Touch (60 wt.) is recommended by Baby Lock, but my BL machines use Coats n Clark (60 wt.) with no problems too. I use the magnetic prewound bobbins for my Brother 6 ndl. If you are doing reversible work, or satin stitch edges on things, use the same thread top and bottom. That is what I am doing right now, making the free flying butterflies.

I use polyester emb thread for most things, cause it is strong and doesn't fade when bleached. I use rayon for really nice things that don't get washed a lot. Hope that helps.

Neva

Post #: 10
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 10:03:09 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

I do a lot of tea towels and hankies and simple stuff like that.... I prefer the liquid stabilizer method.... I even use it for hand towels for the kitchen with bar cloth type white towels that I crochet lace on the bottom first same for the hanky... if you can find H2gone stabiloizer you will need 2 yards/meters to make the starch get a glass mason jar or clean recycled glass jar that holds ore than 16 ounces... get a chop stick or wood BBQ skewer - you are looking to use something disposable - you will also need a clean spray bottle get a new one you will be addicted... pour boiling water into jar with your skewer stuff the 2 yards of H2gone it dissolves in hot water.... poke it all in... stir let cool completely - write on your spray bottle embroidery starch... in bottle put 1 ounce of rubbing alcohol if you don't have any you can use vodka - then pour in your dissolved H2gone - when you want to embroider you get your towels yes even the bar cloth terry and iron the towels decide where you want the embroidery.... iron a crease horizontal and vertical dead center + so now you do not need any markers that might not come out.... OK so how big is your design 5x5 or?? spray an area that big around your + crease let the home made starch soak in... I do this at night time and let it dry or first thing in the morning then go back later and iron bone dry it must be bone dry.... Hoop your towel - start with one colour design there are plenty on Emb Library called toile herbs flowers etc birds chickens you get the idea I use same colour bobbin thread as top that way if the thread pulls to the top it wont show
I will go find one of the recent designs I embroidered on a tea towel and also on a bar cloth the tea towel when ironed will be stiff as a board... that prevents puckers...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 11
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 10:08:06 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

So here is the hummingbird design I did on tea towel

Attachment (1)

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 12
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 10:16:07 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Here is the bar cloth hand towel for my cousin's daughter Kate she loves any shade of purple... she just moved into
a new place and painted her cupboards white and the walls the lightest lavender.... I used a piece of light weight plastic like solvy on top it tears away
\I knitted her a couple of various shades of purple dishcloths for the grey and white I knitted harlequin dishcloths and striped grey and white.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 1:24:49 PM   
Nananeva

There are a lot of embroiderers using this method to starch fabric. It is mentioned many times in our local embroidery club. However, most of us simply dissolve leftover scraps of WSS in very hot water, and then strain it into a container to save.

Neva

Post #: 14
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 2:24:07 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Neva if I were to make a bunch of FSL and I do mean a bunch I would save the scraps but it takes a lot of scraps to equal 2 yards of H2gone... and yes I do save my scraps too when I run low on embroidery starch I throw the scraps in with the 2 meters... I don't have to strain no thread scraps but anything you use to make that starch will be very hard to clean I keep a funnel and stir stick and big bottle for just making starch - I used a pot the first time....

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 15
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 3:30:37 PM   
Nananeva

When I have dissolved a lot of WSS out of items, I have even found gooey clumps of it stuck on the sides of my washbasin. Yet, if using HOT water you can easily rinse too much out of things you want to dry stiff! But it is so useful in so many ways, I love the stuff! Remember when there wasn't such a thing???

Neva

Post #: 16
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 3:46:15 PM   
SewingGrammy

Thank you Shirley! I have never heard of liquid stabilizer. Love the hummingbird! And the monogrammed one is beautiful. I like the crochet on the bottom idea too! Makes it extra special. I have 2 weddings to go to later this summer and fall and some personalized towels will make nice gifts.

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 17
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 5:34:18 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Liquid stabilizer is home made by dissolving regular wash away like H2gone or Floriani wet N gone not the plastic stuff I use the stuff that looks like dryer sheets wash away... it is heavier duty works better for free standing lace too IMO. I have been doing machine embroidery since 1989 - in the US you can get heavy duty spray starch that isn't available here Martha Pullen used to tell us spray let soak in and iron until its dry or you will cry - repeat spray wait a minute and iron dry... the home made stuff makes things like cotton so stiff it will almost pop your hoop...

Post #: 18
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/10/2018 10:55:04 PM   
SewingGrammy

Shirley, I copied both of your posts with the information about the liquid stabilizer and am saving them. I know I am going to want to refer back to them before long. Thank you so much. When I try it I may have more questions. :)

Post #: 19
RE: What Are good beginner projects? - 6/12/2018 11:15:14 AM   
Bea

How about a FSL necklace? There is a free one here. Her designs are beautiful too.
Bea
http://www.soniashowalterdesigns.com/free-standing-lace/dramatic-heart/

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> What Are good beginner projects? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy