Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Need Help w/a Pattern, Please!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/14/2018 3:24:48 PM   
MoDo

Hello, Ladies!

I'm working on a pattern that has a design that is new to me--a sundress. It is cute as can be. You can see a photo of it here. Having never done a dress without a back bodice, I'm unsure of something: The front skirt shows the seam allowances at the bodice and the hem as being 5/8", but the back skirt shows the seam allowances at the bodice and hem as being 3/8" . I called Simplicity and they returned my call within minutes (can you believe it?! ). Unfortunately, since the pattern is no longer in print, the woman couldn't help.

So, I hope one of you might have made either this dress or a similar sundress and know if the seam allowances are different due to the fact that there is no back bodice and the skirt hangs a bit lower in the back (the back has elastic). Or, why would the hem seam be less on the back than the front?? I am confused!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! TIA
Post #: 1
RE: Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/15/2018 8:43:52 AM   
DDinDFW

I have no idea why the hem would be less in the back, but put the pattern pieces one on top of the other and see how it measures up. Maybe a typo? The top seam allowance is less because you just have to insert - or your other favorite method - elastic there.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/15/2018 10:16:16 AM   
MoDo

Thanks, Dana. I'm going to proceed with the assumption (dangerous, I know) that the top seam allowance is skewed due to the back being lower than the front. As to the hem, the skirt has a contrasting band, as seen in the photo of the pattern, so I don't yet know why the difference in seam allowances. I do hope the pattern directions are correct because I am making two of these dresses concurrently. If everything works out, I'll post photos. Stand by .

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 3
RE: Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/15/2018 11:14:12 AM   
DDinDFW

Can't wait to see them.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 4
RE: Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/15/2018 3:11:42 PM   
caaguirre

https://lasewist.blogspot.com/2009/04/simplicity-2912.html Looks like Bunny made it with some changes. Maybe she will answer your question through her blog. What a darling pattern. I don't understand the difference in seam allowances, 3/8 and 5/8 are so much the same that it doesn't make sense even if the back hangs lower, but then I don't understand why the back hangs lower anyway. I made a dress with elastic in the back so I made a casing there to enclose it.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 5
RE: Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/15/2018 3:59:21 PM   
MoDo

Oooooo! Bunny put piping on her dress!! I'll have to experiment some day with that! I wanted to leave her a comment, but see I have to join up with a google account or something.

I'll just go ahead and work this up tomorrow and see what happens. There is a casing that is added to the back skirt for the elastic. I might be worried over nothing and the pattern is exactly as it should be.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Bunny around??? Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/16/2018 6:16:07 PM   
MoDo

Okay--I followed all directions and things were humming along; until ... . Here's the problem:

I was very careful to trace off the pattern pieces onto tissue, but as you can see, the lengths of the two pieces are not even. I did everything the pattern said to do: Used a 5/8" seam to attach the front skirt to the front bodice and used a 3/8" seam to attach the back facing to the back skirt, and this is the result at the side seams. It is time to place the contrast band on the bottom of the skirt, BUT--the skirt front, which is on the left in the photo, says to use a 5/8" seam allowance, while the skirt back, which is on the right in the photo, says to use a 3/8" seam allowance. This is just wacky! I'm thinking the only thing to do is place the band edge on the shorter front skirt and follow it around the back skirt, ignoring the extra length, so that the front and back skirts are even. Does anyone else have a better idea?? Does anyone know how to contact Bunny??? I'm breaking for the night and will pick up tomorrow sometime after church.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Bunny around??? Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/17/2018 2:04:56 PM   
caaguirre

When you measured the length of the skirt back and the skirt front pieces were they the same? Only once in my life did a Simplicity pattern have an error but it was a doozy, the back pattern piece was an inch too short in length. Of course I didn't see it until I tried sewing the back to the front. Your difference isn't too bad, you can either rip and resew with 5/8 inch seam allowance or you can cut off that excess and attach your band around the skirt bottom. It looks like that extra quarter inch is the result of the difference between 5/8 and 3/8 so I'm thinking the 3/8 instruction was wrong. But I'm not Bunny so maybe she'll look in, I haven't seen a post from her in quite awhile.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Bunny around??? Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/17/2018 3:03:18 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I am sure it is 3/8 5/8 mistake - trim the excess and get on with it... Years ago you never ever had an error in knitting patterns either - in the last 10 years I have not purchased a BERNAT PATTERN for knitting that was free of error. Seems 'GOOD ENOUGH" is the standard of excellence these days

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Bunny around??? Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/17/2018 3:29:54 PM   
DDinDFW

I agree with Shirley. 1/4" won't make a difference in the finished length. Cute fabric!

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 10
RE: Is Bunny around??? Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/17/2018 5:14:35 PM   
Nananeva

Bunny re-started her blog on June 11th. Here is a link: https://lasewist.blogspot.com/2018/06/sewing-has-begun.html

Neva

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Bunny around??? Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! - 6/17/2018 6:42:45 PM   
MoDo

Thanks, Ladies! I'm just going to even out the back skirt to the front and proceed. It has been interesting sewing two dresses concurrently! One is on my Designer 1 and the other is on my Diamond.

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Need Help w/a Pattern, Please! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy