Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Garage sale finds

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Garage sale finds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Garage sale finds - 6/23/2018 2:01:46 PM   
DDinDFW

I stopped at a garage/estate sale near my home yesterday. There were lots of quilt magazines and pattern books, some sewing patterns, and a few fairly new machines. I found uncut Old Fashioned Baby Bonnets by The Old Fashioned Baby and Antique Lace Dress & Slip by Chery Williams. Also two Aunt Martha quilt pattern booklets... all for $10!

Dana, mom of two young men
Post #: 1
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/23/2018 2:04:04 PM   
gillie

Great find, Dana.

Gillie

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 2
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/23/2018 3:19:07 PM   
Nananeva

Love it when you make a deal like that! Course, only sewists will appreciate it....

Neva

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 3
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/23/2018 5:00:04 PM   
MoDo

Love haunting estate sales, thrift stores, yard sales! Amazing what some folks get rid of .

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 4
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/23/2018 6:51:43 PM   
caaguirre

Awesome! Glad some sewist's treasures found a new home with you.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 5
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/25/2018 9:47:23 AM   
NormaK

Wonderful!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/25/2018 10:18:43 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

I HAVE DREAMS OF FINDING AN Elizabeth Travis Johnson book.... yeah right dream on in Calgary more likely to find a book on how to skin a bear or what to do with the leftovers after you bag a moose/deer meanwhile if hunting were allowed I could bag a deer or a moose from my back deck of course I would need a gun/rifle and I would need to know how to shoot it and I would need ammo and I would need to know what to do.. but then I have never had moose/deer any wild meat and after all that trouble and expense might not even like it.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 7
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/25/2018 10:34:45 AM   
vpenner

I hear you, Shirley. I live in a literal and heirloom sewing desert (Nevada), so I, like you, am highly unlikely to stumble upon a copy of Elizabeth's book where I live. I did happen to find a (pristine, seldom-if-ever-opened) copy online for $40 and consider myself extremely lucky to have found it.

< Message edited by vpenner -- 6/26/2018 1:19:12 PM >

Mother to James (38), Sarah (35), Aaron (34), Adam (31) and David (28)

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 8
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/25/2018 11:02:05 AM   
aussie

Isn't it amazing how heirloom items are never seen in some areas? I swear, here in NW Ohio, a Harley Davidson onesie would beat out a
beautiful smocked dress. I signed up for a class to make a smocked bonnet and still haven't even touched it. I am not sure I want to spend the time if it isn't appreciated. Many times I have crocheted a double ruffle baby blanket and I am very cautious who I give them to, and still not even a thank you note. And since most of the items I make are for charity, do they ever get to the washing machine for a second wearing? So I just sit here and drool over those beautiful baby garments and dream.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 9
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/25/2018 4:25:23 PM   
caaguirre

So California = jeans and tees for boys and girls all the time. Boo! Carol, let me encourage you in your charitable giving, my 2 favorite charities are thrilled to receive crocheted baby blankets or caps either for their residents or prospective mothers. One charity even sent me a Thank You note.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 10
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/26/2018 11:08:31 AM   
SewLynn

Uh oh, Shirley ... I have/had? a copy of Elizabeth Travis Johnson's Sewing for Children. Not sure where it is ... I fear it got donated to the Salvation Army when I moved a couple of months ago. I'll keep an eye out for it though as I am still not 100% unpacked.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 11
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/26/2018 1:18:07 PM   
vpenner

Carol, do you belong to a church? If the mothers dress their little ones in Sunday best, they might appreciate your sewing efforts. I don't have grandchildren, so I find willing "victims" at church. At least the little dresses will see at least occasional use on Sunday.

Mother to James (38), Sarah (35), Aaron (34), Adam (31) and David (28)

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 12
RE: Garage sale finds - 6/26/2018 5:27:16 PM   
caaguirre

Even newborns are wearing teeny sized jeans, tees, and tennies or other types of casual wear. I indulge my love of sewing pretty dresses for charity and rely upon God to get them to the right people. My gdil did accept a white crocheted hat with a pink rose and a couple of crocheted girly blankets for my new ggd though. I'll try an outfit I have in mind for a romper with little cloth open toed shoes to match, so we'll see how that goes. My fun is in the making anyway.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 13
RE: Garage sale finds - 7/19/2018 9:36:41 PM   
Bobette

SewLynn - I am not here on the forum very much any more, but I see you say you moved again. It sounded like you had such a cute place before. Hope you enjoy where you are now.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Garage sale finds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy