Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

For you, Valdiva

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> For you, Valdiva Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For you, Valdiva - 6/25/2018 3:56:13 PM   
KarenVA

You asked how I did the OESD Christmas Village embroideries--

Some of the designs are Free Standing Applique, and some are Free Standing Lace--so here's what I do:

Hoop two layers of mesh water soluble stabilizer (like OESD AquaMesh).

Usually, your design will do a placement line for Free Standing Applique to show you where to put your fabric. After that stitches, "float" a Best Pressed piece of fabric (backed with OESD Stabil Stick) that is large enough to cover the placement stitches and do the next step of the design which will be the tack down stitches. Then, remove the hoop from the machine (do NOT remove the fabric from the hoop) and carefully trim the fabric close to the tack down stitches. Replace your hoop and do the next part of your design.

Here is a nice tutorial for you:

https://www.embroideryonline.com/project-hub/embroidery-101/embroidery-techniques/freestanding-applique-tutorial/

Free Standing Lace designs are done with two layers of mesh water soluble stabilizer, too. But, the whole design is just thread--I use Isacord, Jenny Haskins' thread, or Robison-Anton thread. I rinse the finished designs in room temperature water--but I leave some of the stabilizer to keep the piece stiff when it dries. If you wash out too much, you can always put some scraps of wss in a container and add a bit of water--then re-wet your embroidery piece and let it dry.

The embroidered pieces go together with loops and buttonettes that are built into the designs. Using alligator clamps is the best way to get the buttonettes into the loops--and still keep your sanity!!

https://www.embroideryonline.com/products/supplies/embroidery-accessories/alligator-clamps/

These designs are so much fun--I hope you try some!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: For you, Valdiva - 6/27/2018 8:12:10 AM   
valdiva

Thank you for such detailed information! Yes, I am very tempted to get the set . Your work as always, is an ispiration!

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: For you, Valdiva - 6/27/2018 10:43:22 AM   
Rosie

When I have done FSL that requires connecting pieces, I rinse each piece and dry them pinned to a Styrofoam board. The problem I have had is that the pieces shrink when they dry and don't match up to sew together. I was making an angel designed by Stitch Delight. How did you keep that from happening when you did your village?
Thank you,
Rosie

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 3
RE: For you, Valdiva - 6/27/2018 6:05:15 PM   
KarenVA

Rosie, I just rinse out the wss a little bit, then blot the pieces in a towel and lay them (wrong side up) on the bathroom counter to dry overnight. (Some people cover them with a pressing cloth and iron them dry with low heat.) My pieces never shrink and the loops always match up with the buttonettes.

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Rosie)
Post #: 4
RE: For you, Valdiva - 6/27/2018 6:31:33 PM   
KarenVA

Here you can see two pieces of the Free Standing Applique pumpkin put together--you can see the loops on one side and the buttonettes on the other side. And, the alligator clamps that I use to pull the buttonettes through the loops.

Attachment (1)

KarenVA

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 5
RE: For you, Valdiva - 6/28/2018 6:25:13 PM   
Nananeva

Am I the only one that dries my FSL items with my hair dryer? I try to leave as much of the stabilizer in the item as possible, making it STIFF. I then lay it on a flat surface, hold it down with a finger and blow dry.

Neva

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 6
RE: For you, Valdiva - 6/29/2018 9:04:47 AM   
Rosie

Thank you, Karen. Maybe my issue was with the way the FSL was designed.
Rosie

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> For you, Valdiva Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll