Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

preemie isolette shirt

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> preemie isolette shirt Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 2:19:39 AM   
Janice

A very special baby will be adopted by a couple in our church in the coming weeks. However, due to the birth mother's pregnancy history, this little one was scheduled to be delivered at 30 weeks. Though that date has not yet been reached, the pregnancy is going so well that she will not be delivered early until either mother or baby is in distress. I made Ginger Snaps Preemie Isolette Shir in the 4-5 lb size hoping that Baby Beatrice will not need it. More details and a few tips are posted in my latest blog here. This is a wonderful pattern in sizes ranging from 1 lb. to infant. It was a joy to sew along with a bit of machine embroidery.

Attachment (1)

Janice
www.janicefergusonsews.com
Post #: 1
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 5:40:11 AM   
aussie

That is very sweet looking. Can't imagine embroidering "buttons". Like you, I love the softer prints. That to me says "baby". I surely like that baby doll modeling your garment. Oh, I could scoop her up in a heartbeat. Never get too old for dolls.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 2
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 10:59:53 AM   
SewLynn

When I first saw the photo, my reaction was "buttons on a baby shirt!!" I just HAD to look closer and head over to your blog. LOVE the embroidered buttons idea.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 3
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 5:13:11 PM   
caaguirre

I can't imagine a prettier fabric to use for this darling top. I read your blog too and my first question was, "where did she get those button designs?" What a perfect solution for additional detail! Carol (aussie) and Carol (caaguirre) both agree on your doll. Do you remember the make and model for her? I have two 24" toddler dolls and she would make a great companion for them.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 4
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 9:34:52 PM   
Fancy Stitches

What a sweet, sweet shirt, Janice. I love the fabric and the "buttons" are adorable...so creative!! You have the best ideas and I appreciate that you share with us. I, too, hope baby Beatrice doesn't have to wear this darling shirt (or at least not for very long). This is one pattern I don't have and I pray I never need it, but it's good to know Nancy has created one. I love her work. Kathy Dykstra has a very sweet premie diaper set too. https://www.etsy.com/listing/473559427/prince-and-princess-preemie-diaper-set?ref=shop_home_active_3

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 11:27:12 PM   
Janice

Carol, when I saw teeny little shirts like this made of big juvenile prints it made me cringe. Everyone is certainly entitled to her own opinion, but I can't sew something I dislike that much. So it will be mostly baby pastels for my preemie isolette shirts! So glad you like the doll. My mother, Dollie Manning, was a dollmaker of some renown. She made this for me when our dear friends adopted a newborn bi-racial baby girl and made me godmother. This doll looks just like Katie did as a child.

Janice

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 6
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 11:32:33 PM   
Janice

Lynn, I bet if you had seen the shirt before the buttons you, too, would have known it needed something more. Once again, machine embroidery filled the need. I found it impossible to fine another embellishment that was flat. After all the time I put into those buttons, I found several at Embroidery Library, one of my favorite sites. When tried to buy one, it said I had already purchased that one. That was a pleasant surprise. Now I'm ready for the next one with a more realistic button.

Janice

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 7
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 11:36:56 PM   
Janice

quote:

Carol (aussie) and Carol (caaguirre)
, that doll is sweet, isn't she" She sits on the dresser in the visiting grandchildren's bedroom, wearing and antique white heirloom baby dress and a pair of glasses. I smile when I go in there to miss my grands. My mother made this for me, as I told the other Carol, and she was meticulous about autographing the back of the doll's neck just below the doll's name. But this time, the wig is glued on over the signature, so I don't remember the name, though I did, long ago. Of course, there are a lot of things I don't remember any more! Thanks for your kind comment.

Janice

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 11:44:29 PM   
Janice

Barbara, I have had that fabric for many years, aging it, I like to think, like fine wine and good cheese. I have a few pieces of Eileen West batiste and they are all very fine quality. But this one has been my favorite and I have held off using it until just the right project came along. And this little shirt was just right. A few years ago I suddenly needed a preemie pattern and pulled out Lezette's Angel Gown. I made that for another special baby but she was almost 5 lbs. at birth. I just felt the need to make something smaller, and at least have the option of something much smaller if needed. Kathy Dykstra's pattern is adorable and I bought it as soon as it was released. That's next on my list after I crank out one more of Nancy Coburn's preemie isolette shirts. Thank you for your always kind and encouraging comment, Barbara. Someday, I hope we will meet.

Janice

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 9
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/26/2018 11:54:10 PM   
Fancy Stitches

That would be a dream come true, Janice.

Barbara

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 10
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/27/2018 8:55:45 PM   
Linda S.

This is as sweet as can be Janice, and I'm so glad you shared with us. I agree with you, about adult prints for
such young babies...although I've seen that often of late. Newborn babies dressed in big Spiderman prints...
or worse lol! You are blessed indeed that the parents of this child like more traditional baby clothes.

I'm adding this pattern to my list for tiny ones too, and am glad to know about it. I had quite a time finding
cute preemie dresses that looked like real baby clothes, but smaller ; ). I have one high bodice gown pattern
...can't remember the name at the moment, but was really glad to find that too.

Recently I made a gown for a baby that was due to come into this world early, and it was a challenge trying
to make it special when the parents were so against any frills or pretties at all for a baby boy. That's another
thing that seems to have changed in recent years.

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 11
RE: preemie isolette shirt - 6/28/2018 1:46:44 AM   
Janice

Linda, we surely do agree on a lot of things. On the subject of fabric choices for babies, I was more than a little dismayed when I saw facebook group post from a young mother looking for a camouflage daygown for her newborn daughter. I'm sure you, too, would have been saddened by this choice for a baby girl. On the subject of patterns, Nancy Coburn's Preemie Isolette shirt is the only one I have seen that meets the NICU nurses recommendations. The others are darling but for tiny babies with no need for wires and tubes and monitors requiring quick access. Those patterns seem to be for the lucky ones who are home with their families, not in a NICU isolette. I've enjoyed making Lezette's lovely Angel Gown, but it was for a preemie's coming home outfit, sans monitors. Have you seen Kathy Dykstra's Prince and Princess pattern? That little boy outfit is darling and has no frills, but it is not a gown. I'd be very interested to learn what you ended up making for the early-arrival baby boy. Can you share the details or a picture?

Janice

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> preemie isolette shirt Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message