Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Need Advice, Please

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Need Advice, Please Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 11:41:28 AM   
MoDo

Hello Ladies!

I finally finished a couple of sundresses for my DGD. The pattern is adorable and, although I did run in to some difficulty (all due to "operator" error ), I think the dresses turned out rather nice.

Here's the first one; the popsicle fabric my DGD requested (please disregard the mess in my sewing room ):

Here's the "star" fabric I chose before knowing my DGD's choice of fabric:

Now, what advice do I need, you may be asking? Well, the photos were taken before going through the washer and dryer (in case they fall apart in the wash ). The popsicle dress came out just fine, but the star fabric came out with blue marks on it! I can only think that perhaps it was because I washed the dark fabrics in cold water instead of warm (I don't think it could be the poly thread?). Here's a look at the marks:

These marks are scattered about the dress. I tried using some Fels Naptha on them and re-washed the dress, but the marks didn't come out . While I'm thankful her popsicle dress wasn't affected, I'd really like to get these marks out of the star fabric so she can have that one for summer, as well.

Any and all advice, recommendations, words of comfort, would be much appreciated!! TIA!!!

Oh! And I can now add hats to my repertoire :

Post #: 1
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 12:54:22 PM   
Pat C.

MoDo, absolutely adorable dresses and the hat is so cute. Don't know if it will work, but you could try re-washing with a Color Catcher sheet. It just may pick up the color. Worth a try?

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 3:18:58 PM   
MoDo

Thanks for responding, Pat . Would a Color Catcher sheet still work after the dress has been washed twice? If you think it might, I'll run down to the store and pick some up.

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 3
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 3:25:06 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Did you wash the 2 dresses in same wash??? if so it could be colour transfer from popsicle to the stars dress. The water temperature should not have been a factor cold warm it is all good... and I don't think that hot water causes clothes to run they might shrink. If you washed the 2 together then that popsicle dress is likely to transfer to the next load of laundry unless it is washed by itself... sometimes fabric keeps shedding colour for 3 or 4 washes so the next person would need to use a colour catcher in the wash or risk blue marks on garments...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 4
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 3:28:03 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Are you sure that the trim on the stars dress is colourfast??? if it isn't then even if you washed it all by itself it will still be getting blue marks....

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 5
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 3:42:43 PM   
Pat C.

I've had those color catchers pick up color after several washes, especially with darker colors.

Post #: 6
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 5:28:29 PM   
MoDo

Each dress was placed inside separate pillow protectors and washed in cold water. There was no color bleed on either of the (white) pillow protectors following washing or drying. The dresses were dried on low temp. Both of the contrasting fabrics are Kona cotton from Jo-Ann's. I must say, this is the first time I actually followed the instructions to wash Kona in cold water; I usually wash it in warm water and throw it in the dryer on medium heat .

At first I thought the blue marks were only where the ties came in contact with the white fabric, but that's not the case.

Here's a look at the inside of the bodice; notice the bleeding along the seamlines:

Strangely enough, the bleeding isn't everywhere. Here's the underside of the contrasting band at the hemline--no bleeding at all:

This is just so strange! I'm thinking I might have to go purchase more of the fabric, wash it all in warm water, and make another dress. After all, I still have a hat that matches this fabric .

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 7
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 6:03:42 PM   
Gone Sewing 2

I would take the fabric /dress to JoAnns and complain.....if you are going to
do over the dress....maybe you can get the fabric replacement

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 8
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 7:40:08 PM   
caaguirre

Probably the dark blue Kona is to blame but Gone Sewing has a good idea, it's worth a try anyway. I would also try the color catcher sheets at least a couple more times, I bought a box awhile ago to use on a hand embroidered piece I was sure was going to run. Surprise, it didn't, but I've used them several times since on various fabrics so it's a good addition to laundry aids. I use cold water on most fabrics when rinsing or prewashing as I think color is more stable in cold water. It's always worked for me. Hope you can salvage the dress but if not, be sure to prewash your new fabrics before making another one. That is such a cute pattern BTW.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Gone Sewing 2)
Post #: 9
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 9:07:49 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Your dresses are so cute...I especially like the star one!! I'm so sorry this happened and I wish I had something to add that would help get the marks out. Did you dry them in the dryer? If not, perhaps a good soak in Clorox II or an Oxy product will remove the marks. If they were dried in the dryer it's likely they are permanent, but maybe worth a try anyway. And, oh my, what an adorable hat!! Your DGD will be delighted. It made me smile!!

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 10
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/28/2018 11:03:27 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies! The dress has been through the dryer ... twice now! I'll see if I can find the color catcher sheets around here and give it a go. If that doesn't work, I'll try some OxiClean. If that doesn't work, I'll try Clorox II. If that doesn't work ... well, poop! (The only good news is that the star fabric is now only $3 a yard at Jo-Ann's, so if I have to remake the dress at least it won't cost as much the second time around )

Hmm ... something else I just realized: I had made an error in sizing regarding the contrasting skirt band and had to purchase more fabric to re-cut the proper size band. The first fabric was from a different Jo-Ann's than the second fabric. Wonder if the two different bolts of fabric had anything to do with it??

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 11
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 10:21:15 AM   
Pat C.

I sent you a pm

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 12
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 11:44:33 AM   
MoDo

Received ... thank you, Pat

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 13
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 12:46:42 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I believe the trim on the star dress that royal blue is to blame... if you have any more of that blue you can test the theory before heading to Joanns...... stitch the blue to a piece of similar fabric plain white or ivory - then wash it as you did with the dresses....

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 14
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 4:19:43 PM   
Pat C.

Tried to reply to the pm, but didn't see a send button. You can always email me if you can't find them pat.cadyattwc.com

That dress is too pretty not to be saved!

Post #: 15
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 5:44:24 PM   
MoDo

Good idea, Shirley! I have plenty of both the royal blue and the star fabric left. I'll give that a try.

Thank you, Pat! I found the sheets at Walmart and the dress (and the hat) are now in the washing machine. Watch this space .

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 16
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 6:44:42 PM   
MoDo

Okay, so the Color Catcher sheet must have helped:

The good news is that the hat, which hadn't been through the wash yet, came out with no blue marks on it . The blue fabric used on the hat was from the original purchase, which is what caused the color bleeding onto the dress.

The bad news is that the blue is still on the dress :

I now have the dress soaking in the deep sink with OxiClean.

Okay, update: Can you believe it?? Here's the water after soaking the dress in OxiClean :

This was after washing in warm water with the Color Catcher sheet and soaking in warm water with OxiClean!! I'm going to call this dress lost . If I do decide to make another one (after all, I still have a hat!), I will wash the blue fabric in HOT water with a Color Catcher sheet and include some of them with the dress so my DIL can use them when washing the set .

< Message edited by MoDo -- 6/29/2018 7:36:34 PM >

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 17
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 8:46:16 PM   
Fancy Stitches

This is so interesting and baffling...I use Kona frequently and have never had a problem. Most of the time blue is much more "stable" than red, but your red Kona didn't cause a problem. I will learn from your experience and remember to use the color catchers when I use deep/dark/bright colors of Kona. The OxiClean water surely tells the story!! Thanks for letting us know about this.

Barbara

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 18
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 9:14:04 PM   
Pat C.

Sorry the color catchers didn't solve the problem. I use the color catchers a lot when I'm not sure of colors running. If the cc come out with nothing, I use them in another load-a little cost cutting I've found works fine. When they come out having picked up color, I throw them away.

Just a thought! Do you have any Biz? You've gone this far, may as well try a last resort??

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 19
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 11:00:16 PM   
MoDo

Barbara--Kona is my go-to cotton fabric for solids; never have had a problem before. I am wondering if it's just possible that the problem occurred because I actually followed the recommendation to wash in cold water and dry on cool? I usually just throw these things (separating darks and lights, of course) in the wash on warm and dry on medium heat. Perhaps that always took care of any bleeding that would otherwise happen?

Pat--No Biz in the house, but I'm fairly sure I can find some at my local store . As you said, might as well give that a try, as well.

I am considering taking Gone Sewing's advice and taking the dress to the Jo-Ann's where I purchased the blue fabric. I think they should at least be made aware what this fabric has done.

Thank you, Ladies, for all your compliments on the dresses and the advice you have bestowed! I truly appreciate y'all!! I'll end this thread and only post again if the Biz works--in which case I'll come back dancing and singing .

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Need Advice, Please Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy