Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: Need Advice, Please

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: Need Advice, Please Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/29/2018 11:09:49 PM   
Linda S.

Your dresses are just darling! And oh my goodness, the hat too! You've been a busy
Bee!

As for the slight bleeding of color, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. It's so faint, and
to someone who didn't know, they'd probably think it's just part of the fabric print and the
way it's supposed to be.

If it concerns you, I know vinegar is supposed to set color....but I'd have to ponder a bit
to remember how that should be applied, how much, etc. Maybe just give instructions for
mom to wash the one with darker colors separately for a while...and in cold water. Water
temp does make a big difference. After a few more trips through washer, and as faint as
it is, the bleeding will stop.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 21
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/30/2018 1:18:34 PM   
Penny Hal

Gosh, I'd be in tears if that blue ran on something I made. They are really cute dresses and the hat is adorable. I understand why you'd like to save the dress, but after all you've done, you may just have to make a new one. Poly thread doesn't bleed, but rayon might.

Once I spilled coffee on my favorite peach colored outfit. Some one said to try putting dish soap on it, so I did.

While talking to a friend on the phone, she asked if I wasn't worried that the dish soap would bleach the fabric. It did.

So, I decided to bleach the whole outfit and it'd be one color. So I did. The fabric all beached out, the the poly thread did not.

I didn't want all the thread that held the outfit together to show, so I decided to dye it in Rit. Got a color that looked like the thread.

I dyed the outfit and instead of being peach, it was a ghastly rust orange with this light thread running through it. So I decided to bleach it again.

I didn't use too much bleach and the result was great. At least everything was the same color.

The moral of the story is...some things are worth trying everything to save.

Penny

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 22
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/30/2018 5:59:12 PM   
MoDo

Oh, my, gosh, Penny!! I certainly wouldn't want to go through all of that .

I might have a situation now, though --

I took the dress to Jo-Ann's (the store I needed to go to is about a 45-minute drive) because I wanted them to be aware of what happened with the blue Kona. After all, I'm sure I'm not the only person who buys that color. I told a couple of the women the whole sordid details, even showed them the photo of the sink full of blue water, but didn't ask for anything; I told them I just wanted to let them know about it. The woman, whom I'll presume was the more senior employee, told the other woman to give me three yards of the main fabric as replacement and to write on my receipt that I was to be refunded for the two yards of blue Kona! I was surprised at this and thankful for the consideration! I think it may have helped that all the patriotic fabric is now 70% off the original price . Anyway, I did more shopping (the snuggle flannel is 40% off right now , plus they have some good coupons that expire today), then I headed off.

I decided to stop at Walmart on the way home and purchase some Biz--after all, as has been said, what have I got to lose?? The dress has been soaking in Biz and warm water for about two hours as of this time. The water is, once again, quite a pretty color of blue! That being said, when I checked the dress just a few minutes ago it appears that the bleeding is coming out!!! This dress might actually be saved!! Woohoo!!

BUT--I received new fabric and a refund from Jo-Ann's. Do I go back and pay for that fabric if the dress is now all right? Or, do I account for the aggravation, the money spent on Color Catcher sheets, detergent and water/electricity, the Biz, plus the gas and time for the round-trip drive to Jo-Ann's and just call it even??? What say y'all????

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 23
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/30/2018 7:12:11 PM   
caaguirre

I'm surprised that Kona cotton bled like this, it's usually considered a premium solid in the quilting world. Sorry it took your disappointing experience to inform all of us. I would try washing with a color catcher a couple more times until you give up on the dress.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 24
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/30/2018 8:22:20 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Sweet Girl, with all the aggravation you've been through, call it even!!

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 25
RE: Need Advice, Please - 6/30/2018 10:25:17 PM   
MoDo

I agree, Carol ... I've used Kona fabrics for years with no problems. I certainly hope this is just a one-off and never happens again!

Barbara--I do believe I will just call it even and make another dress. I'm thinking I'll try some nice red as the contrasting fabric this time (so as to not make a duplicate dress). I will, however, wash the Kona in warm water and dry it on medium heat as I have always done. To be on the safe side, I will toss in a Color Catcher sheet .

After a good, long soak in Biz, there are only a few traces of very pale blue left in some spots; you really have to look hard for them. Unfortunately, some of those spots are on the bodice . I know most would say they aren't that noticeable and I should just relax, but that isn't going to happen. I think I'll toss the dress into another Biz soak in the morning before leaving for church. That will give it about 4 1/2 to 5 hours of soaking. After that ... I am done!!

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 26
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/1/2018 9:09:27 AM   
MoDo

Okay, Ladies--Last update

I went to the laundry room this morning with the intention of putting the dress through one more Biz soak. However, it seems that having the dress just sit overnight has pretty much taken care of it! If anyone gets close enough to my DGD to notice this last bit of blue on the bodice ... well, they need a good poke in the nose :

Thank you all so much for all the advice and encouragement! I love this community

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 27
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/1/2018 9:37:29 AM   
DDinDFW

Glad it worked out - you certainly put a lot of effort into getting the blue out. lol

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 28
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/1/2018 2:02:35 PM   
Penny Hal

Call it even! Your efforts to warn others deserves some credit too! Biz saved the day for sure! I'll have to remember that.

I miss the days when the colors actually did not run. A bath towel I've had for 45 years is just as bright a yellow as when it was new. Seems that if they were able to solve the problem once, they could solve it again.

Penny

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 29
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/1/2018 6:20:35 PM   
caaguirre

Whew, that was no fun! I'll have to remember about Biz since I've always been so hesitant to soak colors but now I've learned something new.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 30
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/2/2018 10:15:26 AM   
Pat C.

MoDo, I am SO happy that you're able to save the dress!!! You're even with JoAnn with all the aggravation and expense. Enjoy your new purchases. We've all learned something from this. Great, helpful forum for sure. :) Just did a dark wash with a color catcher used once in lighter wash, and it came out with darker colors absorbed. Now it gets thrown away.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 31
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/19/2018 9:43:19 PM   
Bobette

Surely it isn't the sewing thread is it? I love the star fabric as well!! Great for 4th of July.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 32
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/26/2018 6:41:12 PM   
mari

I haven't been around much lately. I was just looking at the adorable dresses and hat. One thing about blue markers is I always dab them with water before ironing as I have had that set the blue a couple of times. After being careful of that I have not had any reappear. I am wondering if chemicals in the fabric treatment or dye reacted withth blue marker and heat to make them permanent. Even if I am washing the garment or tee I still wet down the blue markings and dry before ironing or using detergent. I hem a lot of slacks and knit things like tees and if a soap sliver will show up I use that but still find I need on whites the blue pen. I do mark with the blue marker and almost always use it to mark the centering lines on things I machine embroider so am careful to wet and make it go away and hang dry before laundering or ironing. Heat and certain laundry ingredients or fabric treatments can set it .Been there done that and won't do again.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 33
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/26/2018 8:10:44 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I never use marker for embroidery I iron the center in + then afterwards spray with water good dousing and iron dry - + ironed out.... if I have to make I use HB2 pencil but years ago we used coloured waxy sort of paper and an implement with teeth like a pizza cutter to mark darts etc - that always came out...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 34
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/26/2018 10:04:44 PM   
caaguirre

I've used blue markers and chalk to mark for embroidery but lately just print out the design template with registration marks and tape it where I want the design to stitch. I use my Janome Clothsetter for perfect placement and then have to remind myself to remove the template before I begin to stitch. I saw a tip recently about using soap slivers as markers and the teacher recommended Ivory soap because it has no additives such as oils and so will remove completely. Do you think that's good advice? My experimentation with ironing the centers in always resulted in the marks being stitched into place by the design stitchout. How do you avoid that happening, Shirley?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 35
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/26/2018 10:28:28 PM   
MoDo

Mari--The blue was not from using blue markers; it seems the blue Kona fabric "bled" onto the white fabric wherever it touched it! Although most of the markings finally did come out, it seems with all of the soaking in Biz and re-washing many times, the white fabric took on a blue cast . My DGD wore it for the first time while here visiting. You can definitely see the slight cast of color, but others tell me if they hadn't known of the bleeding problem, they would have just assumed it was the normal tone of the fabric, so I can live with that . Plus, my DGD absolutely loved the dress! What more could one ask for?

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 36
RE: Need Advice, Please - 7/27/2018 10:02:58 AM   
KarenVA

Well done, Barbara!!! When the little giftee loves it, that's all that matters!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: Need Advice, Please Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy