Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/28/2018 2:21:21 PM   
NormaK

Ladies,

I'm in need of cording to make my own piping: baby, normal, and perhaps a little larger (the latter, to be used on thick flannel nightgowns). I had found some that is supposed to be used with Roman shades, but my local JoAnn's no longer has it. I'm not sure what sizes to order, if I do find a source of supply. I have been trying to use most things from my stash, so the fact that I haven't been in the market lately, means I've forgotten details of what I used to get!

I've become very fond of using piping around yokes and necklines, because it not only gives the garment a nice appearance, but it seems to helps the garment wear longer by reinforcing those areas.
Post #: 1
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/28/2018 2:31:17 PM   
NormaK

Well, I found some "professional mini cord" at Farmhouse Fabrics, and it can be bought in 10-yard packages. However, it is hard to judge between the sizes--rather like comparing apples and oranges. Do any of you have experience with their options and/or words of wisdom?

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 2
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/28/2018 3:01:30 PM   
Grammie

I have used all kinds of things in cording - but be careful to pre-shrink whatever cord you use...ask me how I know!

Even kitchen cord can be used...and heavier threads...and yarn...and DMC various weights...and on and on...

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 3
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/28/2018 3:19:29 PM   
NormaK

Thank you, Grammie. I have used cotton yarn (the sort I've used to make pot holders), after pre-shrinking it, for two flannel nightgowns, but I would like something a little firmer (and smaller for a lighter-weight fabric). I shall have to keep looking.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/28/2018 7:47:17 PM   
caaguirre

Grammie and I are two of a kind, I've used lots of things too. If all else fails, try a hardware store to maybe find something that might work. Cotton yarn comes in a lighter weight, number 3 in the weight category, that would give you some firmness in a smaller size. Google "3 weight cotton yarn" and lots will come up.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 5
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/29/2018 10:28:08 AM   
DDinDFW

Lowes and Home Depot have areas with curtains and curtain hardware and possibly will have some pre-packaged cording there, for re-stringing blinds, etc. Worth a try. If there is a custom drapery shop in your area, they might be willing to sell something appropriate.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/29/2018 10:58:08 AM   
NormaK

Thank you very much, Carol and Dana. I used to be able to get the size drapery cord I wanted at our nearby JoAnn's, but couldn't find it the last time. I guess I need to check out further options locally or head over to the larger JoAnn's.

I DID find some baby-sized cording in my sewing room yesterday--where it belonged, but I'd forgotten where that was! Alas, that's not the size I want right now, so I shall have to venture out and about!

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 7
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 6/29/2018 11:12:31 PM   
Linda S.

I've used different materials to make piping, and most recently used floche (embroidery thread about the
size of 3 strands of stranded floss) for tiny, baby piping. The main concern is that whatever you use not
have ridges that show through, and you don't want it to shrink. So I'd pre-treat.

I've used cotton kitchen string, and remember it did shrink up quite a bit...so I was glad I ran it through
hot water and the dryer.

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 8
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 7/6/2018 2:36:16 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Crochet thread.... 20 wt white.... is 100% cotton South Maid brand other brands read the label.....if you need finer still 30 wt but it comes in white and ecru/ivory only 30 wt can be used for embroidery on some machines - NOT janome

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 7/10/2018 11:19:53 AM   
NormaK

Thank you all! I ended up getting #24 nylon twine from Ace Hardware. I didn't want to mess with preshrinking it, and I wanted it to be pure white so it wouldn't show through. So far, I've only created the piping, since I'm still searching for the designs I want to embroider on the front yoke! It also took me long enough to figure out how to make striped piping again. Some things just need to be done more often, in order to remember how to do them!

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 10
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 7/10/2018 3:15:34 PM   
Bonita

The Decorating Diva (Pam Damour) sells cording on her website "Decorating Diva". She has several sizes available. She has free webinars sometimes two a month that are very educational.
Check her out.

Bonita

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 11
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 7/11/2018 10:42:36 AM   
NormaK

Thank you, Bonita!

(in reply to Bonita)
Post #: 12
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 7/11/2018 11:27:57 AM   
Linda S.

Norma, I still have some piping cord I ordered from MP co. It has ridges that showed through...so I've
never used it again. Sometimes the hardware store is the good place to go : )

I used to do a lot of home dec. and remember going to the hardware store for that cording too. Macrame'
cord (good quality jute) works great for big cording, like for cornices and cushions.

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 7/11/2018 11:31:04 AM >

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 13
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 7/13/2018 2:14:55 AM   
NormaK

Thank you for all your suggestions!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 14
RE: Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? - 8/23/2018 12:28:46 AM   
caaguirre

I saw this cording featured in a Craftsy class. https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Be-You-100-Yard-Polyester/dp/B0030CO894/ref=pd_sim_201_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0030CO894&pd_rd_r=04fab626-a694-11e8-a85b-ad9aadebc9ee&pd_rd_w=EbLXb&pd_rd_wg=tJcEP&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a180fdfb-b54e-4904-85ba-d852197d6c09&pf_rd_r=XMNSDMQDZRDM55Q0AJGY&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=XMNSDMQDZRDM55Q0AJGY Don't know why that link address is so long, anyway this cord is 1/16" inch so is supposed to be a fine cording for those projects where you want something small for piping. Polyester but not supposed to melt with a hot iron.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Cording to Make Piping of Various Sizes??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy