Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Question about thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Question about thread Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about thread - 7/1/2018 9:15:40 AM   
MoDo

Can someone tell me whether or not this thread is "regular" thread for sewing? I've never purchased cones before, but have the opportunity to get these at a good price (thrift shop shopping!!). TIA!

Post #: 1
RE: Question about thread - 7/1/2018 10:56:45 AM   
Nananeva

If this is 70 weight, it would be very thin, but being polyester it is still strong. The 3 means it is spun from 3 strands. Regular sewing thread is 50. Most bobbin thread (for embroidery machines) is 60 weight. Cone yarn for knitting machines is shown this same way inside the cones.

Neva

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about thread - 7/1/2018 2:23:08 PM   
MoDo

Thanks, Neva! I didn't know what the numbers meant on these cones. One of my local thrift shops has quite a few of these in pretty colors and asking about a dollar each. While I was at one of the Goodwill stores I was kind of sorry that I don't have a serger--someone donated brand new, still wrapped, cones of serger threads and they were only $2 each.

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about thread - 7/2/2018 7:11:25 AM   
Linda S.

What is the brand on the 70 wt thread? If it isn't fuzzy, meaning poorly made, I'd definitely
snatch that up. How big are the cones? I often use light weight thread for sewing light weight
fabric.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about thread - 7/2/2018 9:59:39 AM   
SewLynn

The lower the number, the heavier the thread - kind of the opposite of let's say needle sizes. The smoother the thread, the less it will break because it's made from longer staple fibers. When thread is fuzzier looking, the fibers are shorter and thus, the thread isn't as strong despite it's weight.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about thread - 7/2/2018 6:44:43 PM   
MoDo

I will be stopping by that thrift store again, so if the thread is still there I'll pick up a few; at that price I can't go wrong--even if they're not good I've donated to a worthy cause

Linda--I'll bring them with me on my next trip and let you check them out ..

< Message edited by MoDo -- 7/2/2018 6:45:10 PM >

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about thread - 7/2/2018 9:52:09 PM   
caaguirre

I don't think polyester thread should be fuzzy, but I Googled and couldn't come up with any thread with this name so I guess it's just a thin thread somewhere between a 60 (bobbin) and 80 (heirloom pinstitch, etc.) weight. If your machine likes it, I would buy it.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about thread - 7/3/2018 10:35:53 PM   
SewLynn

I had time to poke around more on the internet tonight ... this appears to be American & Efird all purpose industrial thread. Purchased commercially in bulk, the cost would be just under $1.00 per cone. Individual cone retail prices range between $5 and $7. Sewing thread is typically 50 weight, and serger thread is typically 60 weight, so this is lighter weight than either, but could be successfully used in the bobbin for sewing or embroidery. I would say buy one or two cones and play with it on the sewing machine to see how it works. Use on a serger should be just fine.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about thread - 7/4/2018 4:46:54 PM   
caaguirre

Lynn, is 80 wt thread used in heirloom construction as well as for heirloom decorative work? I bought some awhile ago but haven't used it yet. I watched a Craftsy video on machine embroidered small letttering which I've had problems with in the past. The teacher recommended 60 wt thread with a 65 or 70 sharp needle which confirmed information I've seen in the past. Do you think a 70 wt thread would work for this too? Another time I came across information from somewhere (can't remember where) about using 60 wt thread for very dense embroidery designs to lessen the density. What are your thoughts about that advice?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about thread - 7/6/2018 2:32:52 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I have used cotona heirloom thread to embroider on batiste some of the designs were dense like the French knots etc - so I figured it would be easier to use the finest thread to do the designs - it worked... Of course the selection of colours left lots to be desired... but I was doing pastels anyway.
Unless the "THRIFT" store is connected to a church or similar - regular good will goes into the billionaire that owns the stores pocket. People donate - he sells - his costs are minimal and in view of the fact all is donated.....everything he sells is a profit

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about thread - 7/6/2018 10:54:52 PM   
MoDo

My local thrift stores are just that--local. They support teen centers, food shelves, etc., in the area. I don't haunt Goodwill as much as I used to, but I do still take a peek now and again to see if I can find a real bargain. The other day I found one of these Waterford pitchers! Cost at Goodwill--$3.99!! Who donates Waterford crystal to a thrift store ??!!

I ended up purchasing about five cones of the "regular" sewing thread and four cones of serger thread from one of my local shops. They all look really good, with no fuzziness; I'll have to run the regular through my sewing machines to see how it holds up.

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 11
RE: Question about thread - 7/7/2018 8:39:56 PM   
DDinDFW

MoDo, I was reading about how much good china/crystal was donated now. People's kids just aren't interested in these things, so unless someone realizes the value, it goes on to the thrift stores. Suprised someone at GW didn't snag that up before it hit the floor.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about thread - 7/7/2018 8:50:23 PM   
caaguirre

I used to collect Heisey Cristolite glassware and was always thrilled and surprised to find pieces at Thrift Stores but there they were. I donate good stuff to my local Thrift Stores because they too, are a funding mechanism for their various ministries and I want them to make money from selling them if they can.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 13
RE: Question about thread - 7/8/2018 2:48:35 PM   
SewLynn

Carol, I have used 80 weight cotton thread for both embroidery and construction on fine fabric such as tissue linen, organdy and batiste.

When machine embroidering with it, you need bobbins filled with the same thread, a fine needle, and a well filled design - this is where Embroidery Library's designs have an advantage - while they are frequently too dense for regular embroidery threads, they are well suited for finer heirloom threads. As always - test stitch! And yes, 70 weight cotton should work just fine for machine embroidery. Serger thread is 60 weight, and I have played with that too - only the better brands though, the cheap generic stuff tends to be 'fuzzy'. If there's a thread out there, I've probably played with it! One of my favorite attempts has been on linen using Gutermann's silk thread with a design intended for 30 weight cotton threads. It turned out looking like hand embroidery - I was very pleased with the results.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
RE: Question about thread - 7/8/2018 7:53:12 PM   
Linda S.

Carol, I used to use 80 wt (cotton...a slightly different proposition) for heirloom garment
construction but now I use 60 wt. When I made lots of heirloom dresses for my daughter,
one day at church her little friend tugged on my daughter's skirt and it tore loose from the
bodice! And I started questioning the 80 wt.

I've since seen articles about this, and heard from some of the more famous heirloom sewists
that they think 80 wt is too weak for construction. Makes sense really, if one tugs on the
thread....80 wt. breaks quite easily.

I always give thrift store thread (and brands new to me) a good tug before using. If the thread is too
old or maybe inferior quality, it will break easily...and 100% cotton just isn't as strong to begin with.
The point that thread breaks is a relative kind of thing, and I had to get used to knowing how
much tension was too much. I guess a good place to start would be trying a good, new thread
to get a feel for it.

Same with fuzzies. My new Madeira poly serger thread is a little fuzzy...more so than my sewing thread.
but it's not nearly as fuzzy as the less expensive kind I was used to buying at Joanne. Live and
learn, I guess : ).

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Question about thread Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy