Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

This was fun

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Knitting >> This was fun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This was fun - 7/28/2018 5:32:34 PM   
caaguirre

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/table-lace-placemat A free pattern and my first time using Redheart's Creme de la Creme worsted weight cotton yarn. I love the stitch definition it gives and it's easy to work with too. I can't figure out how to post a photo, my previous instructions using paint don't work, they must have changed Paint. My mat looks just like the pattern pic, same color too, a sort of sage green.

Not a good photo, there's a shadow and the color is off. As I said above the true color is sage green.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by caaguirre -- 7/28/2018 5:47:24 PM >

Happy Sewing, Carol
Post #: 1
RE: This was fun - 7/28/2018 7:25:40 PM   
MoDo

Nice! Did it take long to knit? I could use 10 of those in pink if you have the time !

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 2
RE: This was fun - 7/28/2018 7:45:47 PM   
caaguirre

Ha, ha Modo, my ddil said the same thing. Although they are fast to crochet I'm never good at multiples past 2 or so, then it's more like pulling teeth than fun so I'm crocheting her one of those wide headbands with a flower attached per her request. I have a card table sized oak kitchen table so 2 mats fit perfectly.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 3
RE: This was fun - 7/28/2018 10:48:33 PM   
MoDo

My oak dining room table seats 10! Of course, it's usually just Hubby and me, but it would still be nice to have an adequate number just in case .

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: This was fun - 7/29/2018 1:52:13 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I am seeing this pattern turn into a table cloth - I hate multiples as well past 2 as in a pair of oven mitts slippers snow mitts - the cost to make a dozen or even 8 .....
Thursday or Friday I came upon an auction - some company that sells everything in the home... I saw a few things one was a very nice round coffee table... but how to get it home... NO HELP from the people who ran the online auction... bid on a 3 fold room divider screen - outbid and bid on a box of ribbons - instantly out bid.. I should have rebid and drove the price up but didn't... then bid on an 18 x 18 x 16 high box of mixed thread everything except embroider/sewing thread. Many new Southmaid crochet thread mostly white - but some in various weights in all sorts of colours.... and 7 x 100 yard spools of rat tail... mostly new with wrappers that the sticker on one said $15.00 3 white - one black - one red - one dark green and one purple... lots of beading cord... spool of cord for blinds - spool of cooking twine... even a cone of fishing line... and lots and lots and lots more stuff... I filled an ikea bag just taking out the stuff I wanted... rat tail crochet yarn... the rest is in a box I need to go through. I did not bid on any of the boxes of yarn... this woman had been a collector there were several collections of dolls including some Princess Diana dalls new in the box.
Now to find projects that use rat tail... I often use it on made in the hoop cases/purses type things

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 5
RE: This was fun - 7/29/2018 2:51:46 PM   
caaguirre

Shirley, what a great collection to win, all of those valuable threads etc sure found the right new home. I'm surprised at the cost of 10 wt thread and also yarn these days but I've been shopping from my own storage bins for a long time now. I recently used almost the whole package (1000 yd) of 10 wt on a 29" pineapple doily for my dining room table. What was I thinking? 45 rounds so by the time I got towards the end I was sick of it. What is rat tail yarn? I used to use what we called rat tail as cording years ago but haven't seen that product for sale lately.

Modo, my ddil would need more than 10, they have a large family which is growing yearly by marriages and grandkids not to mention friends who come to holiday dinners. 20 mats might do it for now but I'd rather buy her some than slave away over a hot crochet hook for the rest of my born days. Just kidding, if she really , really wanted them I'd do it.+

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 6
RE: This was fun - 7/29/2018 7:06:31 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Yes rat tail what you can make bridal button loops with.... not yarn but
satin cording..... now I got to find some use for all that rat tail... it is sold by the meter here.... I got 700 yards of it.... I got the box of misc junk type stuff out of the car today... about 30 packages of craft cord stuff - lots of it is silver or gold but some colours too - it said for crochet knitting plastic canvas... got 2 packages each with 5 colours of suede cording/shoelace cant even think what kind of craft you would use it for - years ago we use to use those no spring type clothes pins and paint bottom half dark royal blue and top good deep red and paint eyes etc on it add black pom pom and sold gold or silver braiding down the pant legs for ENGLISH BOBBY type guard ornaments to hang on the tree or as a shade pull for kids room... got packs of that gold and silver about 1/8 wide... the stuff I left in the box I really have no idea what you would use it for... don't think any of the stuff is for macramé - didn't bid on the various boxes of yarn because it looked all to be worsted or thicker no baby yarn.
The packs of weird cord is AMY brand never heard of it - anyway all that plus the crochet yarn $5 cdn $4 U.S.

< Message edited by ShirleyCalgary -- 7/29/2018 7:07:09 PM >

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: This was fun - 7/29/2018 7:41:31 PM   
caaguirre

The last time I looked for rat tail was for drawstrings for gift card gift bags. I couldn't find any so used another type of cord. Can't remember what I used it for all those years ago. It sounds like you've gotten a lot of Christmas ornament type supplies but could be used as trim on other projects too. I'm going to guess that the suede cording might have been used for leather crafting or jewelry making. Even if you use only half of all the items you got a great deal. OBTW it looks like macrame might be making a come back. I saw some items and some patterns for sale online. Boy oh boy did I love to macrame back in the day.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulk-Buy-Braided-Macrame-Jewelry/dp/B01AUO168A look at this ....

< Message edited by caaguirre -- 7/29/2018 7:44:26 PM >

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 8
RE: This was fun - 7/29/2018 10:04:15 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Well just the rat tail which had some wrapping on some of the spools sealed had sticker price of KMART $15 so us $$ x7 and at least as many white things of #10 crochet thread there didn't appear to be any 20 or 30 wt but there was some #5 to me that is kind of chunky most of the crochet thread was still with plastic wrap and labels there was a full delft blue pity it wasn't my preferred bridal blue - but there was some used dusty rose and a couple of cones of crochet thread there was also a complete spool of that thick braid you use for tie backs and deco type projects like padded valences and guess glue gun projects like head boards. No crochet hooks no tatting stuff - I never did macramé and still cant find the needles for fine tatting.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Knitting >> This was fun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote