Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Selling your stash?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Selling your stash? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Selling your stash? - 8/6/2018 5:34:06 PM   
SewLynn

I was considering ebay, and I joined a couple of sellers groups on Facebook. Holy Cow! No way am I selling on ebay. It sounds like a nightmare, not at all like when I sold some of my Daisy Kingdom stash over 10 years ago.

I am not looking to make a killing, just want to recoup some of my cost and cover shipping. I probably bought most of my older stash on sale, and so don't need to make an arm and a leg on it.

If anyone here sells online, what are your favorite places to sell?

Member since 2001.
Post #: 1
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/6/2018 7:58:25 PM   
MoDo

Hi Lynn! I haven't been selling, but doing a LOT of buying on the Sew It's For Sale group on Facebook.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 2
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/6/2018 9:00:29 PM   
Bobette

Sew Its for Sale I believe to be a good one. I have also only purchased and never sold. I need a group that buys beads for making jewelry. Don't make too much jewelry any more. Way too much and we need to down size. I said we, but I guess it is really me!! I love my crafts. I have more fabric that I coulld every get stitched up.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 3
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/10/2018 1:14:20 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Well I don't sell anything anywhere.... but did get a bunch of cord and crochet thread and various packs of all kinds of what I would describe as cords of some sort you know packs like bias binding comes in size packs and big spools as well...
I already have more wood and yarn and crochet cotton and knitting cotton than I will ever use but..... for $5 Cdn got a big box full in addition to my stashes.... I keep looking at the stuff and thinking..... so out of the blue I was using the Rosary one of a few my husband brought back from Brazil RIO Corcovado Shrine.... my absolute favourites were the 2 huge wooden beat Rosary sets... the beads are dark brown and on knotted ivory cream type cord.. very strong cord because these rosaries have been used on daily basis for 10 years or so... so I reached into the bag of goodies and fished out the spool of off white thought it was butcher twine no it is some kind of cotton poly fishing cord... or maybe what you would use on venetian blinds... and I watched YOUTUBE how to do the knots just one video.. and tried - well it isn't going very well knots end up random spaced - not perfect... and not like the wooden Rosary beads which are like a really big pea very small grape size... those beads are wrapped I think 7 times round have no idea how the wrap stays in place cant see knot but it could be under the wooden bead... needs way more research... anyway I would need to find some large wooden beads to make the rosaries.... it takes according to youtube 60 beads approx. per set... then I thought perhaps the fishing venetian blind cording is too fine maybe 8 spools of rat tail 100 yards per spool but that is rather not conduicive in my mind to holding a knot too satiny slippery but do have very dark burgundy and black both would work with wooden beads if they were dark...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 4
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/10/2018 1:34:37 PM   
Linda S.

Shirley, My mother-in-law was catholic and I noticed one rosary by her bedside that
had knots used for Macramé. Back in the day, I taught macramé classes at our local
park district....there are many different, pretty knots used for that, and I wonder if
you might find one associated with Macramé to use for your Rosary?

If I could see the kind of knot you're looking for, I might be able to attach a name to
it so you can find it on youtube....everything under the sun is on youtube these days!

In order to form a pretty knot (of any kind) and one that stays put, you want a cord
material that isn't slippery. Any cord material can be used of course, but linen and
cotton (or a mix of the two) work well....or wool or silk (most natural fibers), if
they're woven tightly enough. Synthetics usually don't work as well.

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 8/10/2018 1:37:25 PM >

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 5
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/10/2018 5:35:49 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I want to use big beads about size of a dime and inbetween knots to keep the beads separated... there appear to be 7 wraps right infront of the beads

Attachment (1)

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/10/2018 5:37:05 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Inbetween each bead there is one knot

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/10/2018 9:40:25 PM   
caaguirre

I've alway had trouble getting knots in exactly the right place using cording too. Although I did lots of macrame back in the day I can't remember how I got those knots right, maybe t-pins were stuck into the board I worked from. Right, Linda?

Happy Sewing, Carol

Post #: 8
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/11/2018 3:50:37 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

The picture is my 10 year old well used well stretched out rosary - I fall asleep clutching it saying the rosary it lives under my pillows.... I kind of freak when I cant put my hands on it. The Youtube showed the guy making rosary knots he wrapped the paracord around his index finger tip 3 times then inserted the end from the back side through the front of the loop making sure to keep 3 loops straight not overlapped and pull... I am not sure if some of the junk cord in packages is paracord. Oh and it seemed all instructions seemed to say cut 20 feet of cord before you start... burn the ends with lighter etc etc so obviously it is nylon or a mix

< Message edited by ShirleyCalgary -- 8/11/2018 3:52:05 PM >

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/12/2018 12:37:01 PM   
Linda S.

Shirley, those appear to just be wraps...as you said. A waxed linen or plain linen cord would
work well for the wraps to stay in place. I would use a number of macramé square knots, (prettier
than it sounds) or a line of half-knot twists between the beads. I've also used knots that look like
little beads when they're completed.

The macramé jewelry that I made was different and more refined looking than what came into
fashion a few years ago. When a fine cord is used, and pretty knots, it takes on a whole other look.
I'll see if I can find some videos...no one seems to be wearing this kind of fine knot jewelry today so
I hope there are some on you tube.

Post #: 10
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/12/2018 1:06:23 PM   
Linda S.

I found this page listed under 'vintage' macramé jewelry. See if you can find
some knots you like on one of these pieces....and I can tell you what it's called.
Some of this looks like what I made with linen and waxed linen cord.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1970's+fine+macrame+jewelry&rlz=1T4RVEB_enUS659US659&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=3IkFVHzdDbWptM%253A%252Cv7yynMGTev-3TM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzey9K4N6fP0PZ53EBesCYflfPXAzQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirg-jqjOjcAhUE64MKHeofCM8Q9QEwBXoECAAQDg#imgrc=_&spf=1534097047414

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 11
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/12/2018 6:07:22 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I am wondering if I couldn't crochet the rosary - load up 60 beads onto the cord not crochet thread it would need to be strong paracord or even the fine fishing type cotton poly not the polypropylene fishing lines it probably is 20 years old still in the wrapper until I opened it... Some of the labels are for stores that went out of business 25 years ago

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: Selling your stash? - 8/13/2018 5:14:14 AM   
Linda S.

Fishing line, even heavy test line, is pretty fine. Or at least fresh water fishing line is and
it's made so it doesn't knot easily (get tangled up). Guess you could tie some in a knot and
see if it stayed or if it wanted to untie itself. If you're thinking of crocheting it, why not use
crochet thread? What kind of thread or cord is used on the rosary you have?

Waxed linen cord for fine macramé work used to be sold in craft stores everywhere, and I
think I've seen it recently at Hobby Lobby....maybe Joanne Fabric store has it too, since
they cater more to crafts now. Many stores sell craft supplies these days...it's very "in".

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Selling your stash? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy