Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Brain on Fire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Favorite Books >> Brain on Fire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brain on Fire - 8/26/2018 8:46:22 AM   
KarenVA

We happened to see the true-story movie on Netflix--it was so well done and eye opening to us about a newly recognized disease! So, I got the book! The book was even better!!

https://www.npr.org/2012/11/14/165115921/a-young-reporter-chronicles-her-brain-on-fire

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/26/2018 8:54:18 AM   
DDinDFW

I have seen this listed on Netflix. Will have to watch... and put the book on my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/26/2018 9:04:54 AM   
Linda S.

I don't know if I could handle reading 'Brain on Fire'...but it does sound interesting! These
days and the older I get, a little intensity goes a long way with me lol!

Just checking in to see if anyone has a new book to suggest? Just finished reading 'John Adams'
by David McCullough for the 3rd time! Gosh I love this book. I think Barbara O. suggested it here.
Purchased another D. McCulluough book on Truman, and half way through the first chapter noticed
a bunch of missing pages. Put that one down, and now I'm bookless...for the time being.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 3
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/26/2018 11:42:52 AM   
Grammie

I'm reading - just about finished - Moonglow by Michael Chabon. I'm really enjoying it - reads like a true story but it is fiction.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/26/2018 12:05:34 PM   
SewLynn

Brain on Fire movie is on Netflix. I enjoyed it, thought it was very well done. Dramatized how hard it is to get accurate diagnoses for rare disorders - especially auto-immunes.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 5
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/26/2018 3:53:18 PM   
caaguirre

DM's John Adams is one my all time favorite books too. I also read a Theodore Roosevelt bio a long time ago which I think is his Mornings on Horseback. I've been re-reading Amy Tan's "The Joy Luck Club' and her others and enjoyed them again also. And to whoever it was who recommended "The Lilac Girls" thank you, I liked it and am passing it on to my dgdil who like books about that period in history. Moonglow is on my wishlist and I'll have to look into Brain on Fire. Also on my wishlist Dr. Mutter's Marvels.

< Message edited by caaguirre -- 8/26/2018 3:54:37 PM >

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 6
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/26/2018 6:18:46 PM   
slowstitcher

I'm reading My Sister's Voice. Just started.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/27/2018 10:59:32 PM   
MoDo

Linda--If you enjoyed "John Adams" (and reading it three times suggests you did ), you'll really enjoy reading up on his cousin, Samuel Adams Jr., without whom there may never have been an American Revolution! Check out "Samuel Adams--A Life" by Ira Stoll.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to slowstitcher)
Post #: 8
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/28/2018 6:45:39 AM   
Linda S.

Thanks girls! Now I have some great suggestions for good reading! I very much enjoyed all of
Joel Rosenberg's books too. He's a Jewish Man who became a Christian, and has written several
political thriller (fictional) books based on Bible prophecy which had an uncanny way of coming
true. I don't know if he's a prophet or if he's just studied biblical eschatology and currant world
events so thoroughly that he knows from scripture what is likely to take place now. In any case, I
loved all of his books too.

MoDo, I heard mention of Samuel Adams in the book 'John Adams', and he sounds like a very
interesting man too. If you haven't yet read John Adams, I know you'd love it. John didn't get
nearly the credit due him for his contributions to the Revolution and our U.S. Consititution as
he should have, but if you read the book you'll be able to see why. That was a fascinating
time in our History. I also loved learning about day to day life in America...what they ate, how
they lived, traveled and so on from their diaries and letters. Don't want to give away the plot
but I've changed my perception of some famous men of the day...like Benjamin Franklin who
was quite a rascal.

Sure am grateful for all the suggestions! Now off to the internet to find some new gems to read!

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 8/28/2018 6:47:39 AM >

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 9
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/28/2018 4:21:02 PM   
caaguirre

I just looked and see that "Samuel Adams-A Life" has been on my Amazon wishlist since 2010! I think it's about time I made the purchase. Thanks from me to all of you who made suggestions, I love to read and welcome your recommendations.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 10
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/28/2018 5:54:23 PM   
MoDo

Yes, Linda, I have read"John Adams" and loved it! I enjoy all books about our founding fathers and that time period.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 11
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/28/2018 11:02:32 PM   
Linda S.

MoDo,

Just curious....did your opinion of Thomas Jefferson change at all, after reading
'John Adams'? Mine did. Actually, I had a quite different picture in my mind
about the world they lived in at that time...including Europe.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 12
RE: Brain on Fire - 8/29/2018 10:38:26 PM   
MoDo

I must admit that, yes, my opinion did change a bit about Jefferson. Then again, these were just men with all the faults and foibles as any other man (or woman). What a blessing that God could use these imperfect men to bring about such a wonderful country .

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Favorite Books >> Brain on Fire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote