Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk thread.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk thread. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk thread. - 8/28/2018 7:50:50 AM   
Threadfists

both my machines rip my thread no matter how i adjust the tension even without the presser foot down it seems to make it too high tension. i have a singer confidence, int eh repair shop as a trade in, he will sell me something else, but i want to find out what will be good for what i am doing.

i have piper silk floss. which is an embroidery thread, but i will be doing hopefully, please god, quilting and garmet making with it or with a slightly stronger silk thread which works ok in my machines. i dont really need a ton of fnacy stitches just for it to be able to take the thread without going haywire. i have been trying to work with either machine for months now, trying to fix the machines, sometimes the singer confidence will work fine for a few inches then starts nesting or ripping or breaking the needle. ive done everything i can think of, even lowered the tension from the bar that holds it because the confidence seems to have a very high tension problem and you cant adjust the bobbin tension which is frustrating. the elna i also have works ok, but its stiches are so uneven it looks aweful. ok for making a seam but not for a decoration or quilting. it kind of starts the stitchh at one point then ends it a little ways over, and eveyr second stitch is smaller than the middle. i managed to sew some quilting with it for a few minutes nad was so happy but then it just stopped working and i hadnt adjusted anything. then i had to fix the plug as a wire came off.

i have some sulky stabilizer but its insane stuff. ive used it wet soaked into fabric ok, but as a top or bottom layer it is like trying to wrap a snadwich in clingfilm... is there such a thing as iron on wash away stabilizer. the silk is so slippy even cutting it is difficult. it needs really small stiches and really small thread but the thread i have just isnt strong enough and the storn gsilk thread i got is way too bulky and dull.

i really just want a machine that i dont need a degree in engineering and ten screwdrivers to use, which will sew for more than fiveminutes consistantly, and which will take small thread and will easily allow me to use silk fabric. maybe i need different feet, the dogs dont drop on either machine so that must not be good and the darning plate pops off eveyr five seconds.

i have sat down every day and tried to work out whats wrong spent hours watching videos and changing needles and tensions and wondering what the hell is wrong with me that i have such bad luck, it seems to work out ok if i am doing a sample square and then i get excited and go to do the real thing and bam it will chew up my nice silk or unravel and nest of thread on me.

i know its crazy to be trying to do silk and batting and ambroidery and garment making and using weird threads, when i should be using pooly cotton and poly thread and just being normal. but i really cant hack unethical materials, and i also am nowhere near any shops to buy fabric nor can i really afford it. i could maybe use some of my old bedsheets, cut them up and do something. but that would work fine , then the minute i try to do it in silk its not going to work and ill have some weird bedsheet pants that nobody wants. lol. i am wearing some silk pants tha ti made last year which are very wonky but man they are comfy, the top is not finished on them so i might try to finish them now. i just feel a bit lost without a machine that runs smoothly and id like to be spending my time sewing and making things instead of constantly readjusting and tinkering and stopping to figure out whats wrong this time.

thanks for any recommendations anyone can give me. i would so appreciate it. oh the one that the repair man offered me was a janome j3 18.for 310 euro which i ssee in another shop is only 139 euro. and it looks plastic and so similar to the one i had problems with that i said i would get some advic eand get back to him.

Eli obyrne
Post #: 1
RE: what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk ... - 8/28/2018 2:14:14 PM   
Penny Hal

How old is your machine? I think the best thing to do is to take a sample of what you are working on and test stitching it out on a machine before you buy it. Sellers like to demo their product, but you have to use the machine yourself to see how it functions for you.

This is a great article about stabilizer.

https://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/water-soluble-stabilizer.html

Penny

(in reply to Threadfists)
Post #: 2
RE: what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk ... - 8/28/2018 2:32:44 PM   
Threadfists

do you know my machine was less than two year sold. i just found the warranty today but the rrepair guy had already scrapped it. he said the tension was bent on it and something else was bad so it wasnt worth saving. so that explains why i couldnt get the tension right for nine months!! .... i found the guy was very unhelpful he only showed me one machine which was showin th ebottom thread badly at the top and he kept pushing it on me for twice the price i now realise as they seem tobe in other shops. but i found a great guy today who had me send him some fabric and thread in the post nad he is going to try it on a few machines send me back the samplkes and recomend something for me. unfortuantly i live in the butthole of nowhere wiht no car and theres very few sewing machine stores on the whole island so this is a great help. he seemed very ncie and his prices are very good. i will look at that artical i really need to get all the help i can. thanks a million for your help and advice. i managed to hand sew an elasticated top onto some terrible silk trousers i made last year today so that i can at least wear them. even if one leg is slightly longer than the other. meep!!! still i feel i made some progress today. thanks again.

Eli obyrne

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 3
RE: what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk ... - 8/28/2018 10:55:32 PM   
Linda S.

Eli, My dealer has told me my older machine wasn't worth fixing and I know that wasn't so.
In fact my husband fixed it for me, and for little money. Hopefully at some point you will be
able to take your almost new machine to a good repair shop...this sounds like something
fixable to me.

I wonder if there are any sewing machine dealers (your brand) or machine repair shops
that would let you mail the machine to them? What a shame it would be for you to lose
a new machine like that.

Normally, I would suggest buying a machine brand carried by a local dealer you trust.
But if you have a favorite brand, you still might be able to do this by mail (?). The gals
in this group might be able to help you with simple stitching, if you get stuck. I sew on
a Janome 8000 and a Babylock Ellure. Both are good machines, but I've always favored
the older Janome. Others here like different brands...there are quite a few great ones.

Hope to hear you've found a solution to your problem and are sewing away very soon!

Post #: 4
RE: what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk ... - 8/29/2018 9:07:36 AM   
Threadfists

ah thanks, unfortunately he told me he has scrapped it. stripped it for parts. i didnt think it was that bad, and im almost certain the tension could have been replaced. i really didnt get a good vibe from him to be honest. the thing is there are two shops called sewingmachines ireland. and two websites, one is dot com one is dot ie. and both guyes names are john, so i read such great reviews of the place i was surprised at how dear and kinda not interested he was, but when i realised there was another shop it all made sense, the other guy also john, was so helpful and interested and also positive. it was a shame but it was my own fault really. i could have taken my machine back and tried elsewhere when i wasnt happy with his offer. i just hadnt eaten and my mom was in hospital so i wasnt thinking straight.

a lot of people have said janome to me, or older berninas, and the new repair guy said janome as well, and they do free delivery!! really nice of him to take my samples through the post and test the machines for me, id never get to his town from here. so im going to wait and see what5 he says. meanwhile my old elna with its weird sideways way of stitching that i dont particularly like not for quilting or any exposed stitches anyway, has made a nice band for the top of my torusers so i can actually say i have finished one garment!! and ive gotten a lot better at hand sewing as well. thank so much for replying it has already made me feel a lot less lost and hopeless about the situation just to hear other peoples stories.i was blaming myself for months for not being able to sew and it is starting to dawn on me tha tit wasnt me, i wasnt crazy, i just had a dud machine. and man oh boy did i try really hard to fix that thing. took it apart cleaned it repeated it. went through spools and spools of testing thread. lol. i can laugh now. im not completely useless!

so this time when i buy my new machine i will test it out first and send it back within the 30 day sfor returns that i think is law, hope it is, and be sure that if its not working its not my fault. have to be careful with postal delivery they are reallly bad here, sometimes i get food delivered, and my god youd think they were playing football with the box, which would not help a sewing machine. it could cost more than the sewing machine itself to have to post it back to return it though. ah sure hopefully i will make a good choice this time. ill be happy with anything so long as it keeps sewing for me. i could care less what brand or what it looks like just for it to work. and keep working. despite my weird fabric choices nad odd thread options lol!
thanks again:)

Eli obyrne

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk ... - 8/29/2018 2:53:00 PM   
Penny Hal

At the least, I'd ask for the parts back. It's your machine. You own those parts.

Same thing at auto repair shop. Ask for the part that they replaced back too.

Penny

Post #: 6
RE: what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk ... - 8/29/2018 7:26:09 PM   
DDinDFW

Completely unacceptable. He had no right to part-out your machine without your permission. He owes you $ and/or parts.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 7
RE: what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk ... - 9/16/2018 1:26:48 PM   
Penny Hal

Be sure to read the return policy. They may take the machine back, but not give you your money back. Instead, you may have to trade the machine in for a new machine from that shop. So, ask if you get your money back if the machine doesn't do what you want.

Penny

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> what is a good machine for delicate silk and sillk thread. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy