Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors - 8/29/2018 9:43:17 AM   
Nananeva

One week ago today, we endured hours of continued thunder/lightning/rain storms. After months of no rain, this big storm pounded us. I saw lightning strike 1/4 mile away, and the power went out. Reported the outage to the Electric Service, not realizing my home was the only one affected. The power transformer for my home was ruined. The switch breaker at the meter was tripped, as were the switch breakers inside my home.

After electricity was restored, I checked my electronics. The surge protector on my Destiny II, my 1 year old most expensive machine, was ruined. My Destiny II was saved from damage, thank goodness. Please, everyone, make sure all of your computers and computerized machines are protected. Am sew glad mine were!

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 9/1/2018 10:07:04 AM >

Neva

Post #: 1
RE: Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors - 8/29/2018 9:51:35 AM   
KarenVA

Definitely!! I have mine on an APC battery BACKUP surge protector—it gives me 20 minutes to turn off my machines. I’m so sorry this happened to you!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 2
RE: Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors - 8/29/2018 2:44:34 PM   
Penny Hal

Great reminder! All your computers too!

Penny

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 3
RE: Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors - 8/29/2018 10:26:51 PM   
MoDo

If I'm not using my sewing/embroidery machines, they are not plugged in. My computer is unplugged every night and also when I leave my house for the day. I just don't depend on surge protectors working.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors - 9/1/2018 5:23:30 AM   
mari

My computerized machines are on good surge protectors but none of them are plugged in unless actually stitching. I turn off and unplug my computer, modem and router when there is lots of lightening or at night when stormy. I have a couple of dedicated embroidery computers that only come on if embroidering. Since I only occasionally embroider a lot now, that eliminates a lot of the time the computerized machines are plugged in. I tend to garment sew, do quilty projects on vintage, mechanical, or a straight stitcher many things so unplug those when done for the day or if I leave the house. Seems like we have more severe weather than we used to have or maybe the machines have made me aware of it. I don't sew when the weather is bad. I like to read and always have a book I happily read on or will start. If it's stormy, I can always trim, trace a pattern, study on a sewing project, cut out, etc so machines being unplugged is not an issue. I once hemmed squares for the church hall table overlays all day when we had bad winds off and on. I was using a hand crank vintage that I was using in a room with a lot of windows between episodes mostly to keep my nerves in check. We would go into the storm shelter as necessary. Several bad tornadoes touched down that day nearby , seemed like they just kept coming off and on all day. Seems harder to get sewing time since dh is retired and in and out more so machines stay unplugged mostly. While my machines are not brand new models, there are several expensive combos including a Bernina artist , a 4500D and a multi needle I'd hate to lose and a couple of older combos from upgrading that I don't want to risk so I keep anything not actually in use unplugged.When one considers how much money spent on them, I err on the side of not risking losing them.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Warning: Embroidery machines need surge protectors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy