Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Need Info in a Hurry!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Need Info in a Hurry! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/10/2018 12:14:16 AM   
MoDo

Hi Ladies! Well, here it is just past midnight and I'm almost finished with my DGD's birthday dress ... phew!! What a project this has been . Anyway, what I'm trying to figure out is a way to finish the seam of the armscye that would not be irritating to my little one's underarms. I don't have a serger, so that's out. Any suggestions? I really need to finish this up by tomorrow (or rather, today!), as I'm leaving Tuesday to attend her birthday party . I really don't want to be doing any sewing in the hotel room this time around . TIA!!

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5
Post #: 1
RE: Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/10/2018 6:13:24 AM   
Joanne

I’ve done French seams on set in sleeves for that very reason. A little awkward but it does the trick

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/10/2018 7:41:45 AM   
gillie

I take a 1/2" to 3/4" bias strip, I keep some in several light colors as well as white handy. I start about midway between the shoulder and the side seam. I also leave about 3/4 on the piece above where I begin sewing. I sew it on the line I have sewn the sleeve to the garment. When I get all the way around, I hold the unsewn piece back on where I have sewn and then cut the extra. I trim the armhole seam including the piece I have just sewn. I then turn the unsewn edge of the binding, it tends to curl over the edge. I then hand sew it to cover the raw edge. Hard to explain but one you have done it, it is quick and you have a completly enclosed armhole seam.

Gillie

(in reply to Joanne)
Post #: 3
RE: Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/10/2018 10:16:14 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

I would do like Gillie suggested for the lightest bias I would get some batiste...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 4
RE: Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/10/2018 11:26:54 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies!

I made some bias tape from the dress fabric. I was too afraid to use my machine to sew it around the armscye--wasn't sure I could keep along the original stitch line. So, I used a running stitch (I haven't totally forgotten how to hand sew ), then trimmed the seam, folded the binding over and stitched it by hand. It certainly won't win any beauty contests, but I think it turned out well enough to do the job.

The dress is in a pillow protector in the dryer right now (yes, another late night and I have to hit the road in the morning ). If the dress stays together, I will get some pictures, after ironing, of course, and share.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 5
RE: Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/11/2018 11:10:54 AM   
Linda S.

Looks like you have your solution now....and can't wait to see your dress!

I've done French seams on armscye's before, but it's a pain. So now I do a mock French
seam in spots like that...or, if I'm just feeling lazy ; ).

Sew a regular seam then turn the seam allowances under, towards the middle of the seam
allowance, and then hand stitch. You can hand stitch nearly invisibly, or a machine stitch looks
just fine too. This looks and acts like a French seam, but it just has a line of stitching on the
top.

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 9/11/2018 11:12:24 AM >

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 6
RE: Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/11/2018 4:56:43 PM   
caaguirre

That's a new technique to me Linda, thanks for the explanation.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 7
RE: Need Info in a Hurry! - 9/15/2018 8:22:13 PM   
MoDo

All righty! Finally getting time to post some photos! Here is the fix I chose for the armscyes of my DGD's birthday dress:

Thank y'all for your suggestions! As I said above, it doesn't win any beauty contests, but there were no complaints from she-who-wore-the-dress today !

For a look at the finished dress, please see my separate thread .

EDIT: Good grief!!! Don't know why that's such a large photo . It wasn't supposed to be!!!

< Message edited by MoDo -- 9/15/2018 8:23:03 PM >

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Need Info in a Hurry! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy