Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/15/2018 8:39:25 PM   
MoDo

Please allow me to share my DGD's birthday dress for this year . I have had this robin's-egg blue fabric for many years (while the MP Co. still sold fabric), but never quite figured out what I was going to make with it. Decided this was the year to use it.

Front:

Collar:

Sleeves:

Back:

As many of you may know, I have a heck of a time trying to make slips that actually fit correctly . So, this time I decided to get around that problem--I lined the bodice, then attached a "slip" right to the skirt while making it . Problem solved!

Thanks for looking .

EDIT: I am sorry about the size of the photos; Photobucket seems to be messing these things up! None of these photos is properly cropped and re-sized . I really should find a new photo-hosting site.

< Message edited by MoDo -- 9/15/2018 8:42:40 PM >

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5
Post #: 1
RE: My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/16/2018 2:11:07 AM   
Bobette

That turned out so beautiful. She will love it. You matched your embroidery threads so nicely.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/16/2018 9:05:15 AM   
KarenVA

So pretty!! I love it!! And, your slip idea is just perfect!!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 3
RE: My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/16/2018 9:46:51 AM   
Grammie

Lovely dress...perfect for a 7 year old! I love these heirloom style dresses on little girls. The slip is delightful as well - I think I'll borrow that idea for my next dress!

Thanks, MoDo!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 4
RE: My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/16/2018 11:37:45 AM   
Nananeva

Oh my, this is so pretty! You do beautiful work...

Neva

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 5
RE: My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/16/2018 12:48:49 PM   
caaguirre

Love it, was this the dress with the sleeve problem? If so, what did you end up doing to cover the seams? An ingenious idea to solve that slip problem too. I'll bet she looked adorable in her new dress.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 6
RE: My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/16/2018 3:47:29 PM   
Fancy Stitches

What a sweet, sweet dress and beautifully done!! The color is so pretty and I love the heirloom style dresses. Great idea with the slip...something I will remember! I know your DGD will love it. I hope you get a very special photo of her wearing it...those photos are so priceless to grandmas who sew!

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress - 9/16/2018 4:15:14 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies!! My DGD loved it (even though purple/violet is her favorite color ). As to the embroidery colors--I didn't think I had any colors that actually matched the dress color, so used the closest I had. Turned out that once the embroidery was done, the color off the spool matched extremely well! I always know to unwind some thread to match my fabric for regular sewing, but hadn't done that for the embroidery thread . Another lesson learned .

Carol--Yes, this is the dress. You can find a photo of my solution here in the last post.

Oh! And a friend of my DIL, who has seen many of the dresses I've made for my DGD, wants me to make her daughter a Christmas dress--for money!! I'll be starting a new thread soon for advice on how to go about deciding on how much to charge her .

< Message edited by MoDo -- 9/16/2018 4:16:29 PM >

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> My DGD's 7th Birthday Dress Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy