Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

The hope Chest by Viola Shipman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Favorite Books >> The hope Chest by Viola Shipman Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The hope Chest by Viola Shipman - 10/16/2018 8:48:37 AM   
KarenVA

I'm in the middle of this book and I love this story!! It's so tender!!

The Hope Chest
by
Viola Shipman

From the beloved author of Indie Next Pick The Charm Bracelet, a story about an heirloom hope chest and the connection it inspires among three people in need of hope.

The discovery of one woman’s heirloom hope chest unveils precious memories and helps three people who have each lost a part of themselves find joy once again.

Ever since she was diagnosed with ALS, fiercely independent Mattie doesn’t feel like herself. She can’t navigate her beloved home, she can’t go for a boat ride, and she can barely even feed herself. Her devoted husband, Don, doesn’t want to imagine life without his wife of nearly fifty years, but Mattie isn’t likely to make it past their anniversary.

But when Rose, Mattie’s new caretaker, and her young daughter, Jeri, enter the couple’s life, happiness and the possibility for new memories return. Together they form a family, and Mattie is finally able to pass on her memories from the hope chest she received from her mother.

With each item—including a favorite doll, family dishes, an embroidered apron, and an antique Christmas ornament—the hope chest connects Mattie, Don and Rose to each other and helps them find hope again in the face of overwhelming life challenges.

A beautiful story about the unconditional love and support of family, The Hope Chest will remind you that hope can be found where and when you least expect it.

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: The hope Chest by Viola Shipman - 10/17/2018 12:52:17 PM   
caaguirre

Sounds wonderful, I'll look for it. I'm re-reading the Rosemund Pilcher novels I collected many years ago. This is probably my third or fourth go around although the stories are romancey which isn't usually my cup of tea, the world in which they take place is so traditional and comforting I find them relaxing and timeless.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: The hope Chest by Viola Shipman - 10/17/2018 1:23:05 PM   
Linda S.

This sounds so very sweet, and I love stories like that. But does it have a sad
ending? These days I can't take much sadness at all...getting worse every day.
The Andy Griffith Show is about as intense as I can tolerate LOL!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 3
RE: The hope Chest by Viola Shipman - 10/18/2018 10:03:30 AM   
caaguirre

Ha ha, Linda I'm right there with you about the Andy Griffith show. When I'm sick all I want to do is curl up under my duck themed blanket and watch The Andy Griffith Show. Of course I watch the re-runs when I'm not sick too. I found The Hope Chest used yesterday on Ebay and am waiting for delivery. Thank you, Karen, for the recommendation.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: The hope Chest by Viola Shipman - 10/19/2018 8:49:37 AM   
KarenVA

This truly is a "Hopeful" book--as repeated by Emily Dickinson:

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -

That perches in the soul -

And sings the tune without the words -

And never stops - at all -

I really liked this story! It had sad parts--just like life--but the overall theme was love and hope.

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: The hope Chest by Viola Shipman - 10/19/2018 10:47:54 AM   
Nananeva

What is interesting about these wonderful books is that Viola Shipman is a pen name for a man! Wade Rouse is an award winning author.... He was influenced by two grandmothers, learning to appreciate family memories as well as recipes.

Neva

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Favorite Books >> The hope Chest by Viola Shipman Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy