Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

What I've learned about mug rugs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> What I've learned about mug rugs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What I've learned about mug rugs - 10/28/2018 3:56:48 PM   
Janice

A new post is up at my blog in which I've shared photos of two sets of mug rugs made as hostess gifts. I had made coasters but this was my first try at a purchased set of mug rug designs. Church friends made a medical mission trip to Ghana last summer and recently hosted a dinner with the Ghanese host pastor as guest of honor. He came to share his thoughts and experiences and drum up support for his dream of a medical clinic in his town. So the mug rugs had a Ghana design. If you would like to see more photos, hear parts of his moving story and read about my learning experience, check out my latest blog at Janice Ferguson Sews.com

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Janice -- 10/28/2018 3:58:41 PM >

Janice
www.janicefergusonsews.com
Post #: 1
RE: What I've learned about mug rugs - 10/28/2018 7:30:43 PM   
caaguirre

Left a comment on you blog site, loved your post.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 2
RE: What I've learned about mug rugs - 10/29/2018 2:23:41 AM   
Janice

Thank you, Carol! I really appreciate all comments and yours was extra special. I'm glad you enjoyed that post.

Janice

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 3
RE: What I've learned about mug rugs - 10/29/2018 10:01:19 AM   
Nananeva

Loved reading your blog, learning about your efforts to make mug rugs significant to Ghana. Love what was done with the towels you gifted earlier. It is also a memento of their mission to Ghana. I have made many mug rugs, using designs and instructions from www.sanfranciscostitchco.com. The ones framed with satin stitching will work with the heavy fabric and are done In The Hoop. Actually, I don't believe they have any mug rugs that need to be turned. Mug rugs are great hostess gifts, and I use them often.

Neva

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 4
RE: What I've learned about mug rugs - 11/6/2018 1:27:01 PM   
SusanB

I have done a variety of mug rugs over the years and I don't care for the satin stitch edged designs. My preference is a bias binding, as in a quilt.

The one thing I like to do is to use a flannel backed plastic tablecloth for the backing, or at least the inners if I use a matching backing. The flannel is soft and the plastic makes it waterproof.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not doing much embroidery right now, so this may be old information!

SusanB

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 5
RE: What I've learned about mug rugs - 11/6/2018 2:00:17 PM   
Penny Hal

That's a great mug rug and just perfect in it's design. I look forward to see more of what you come up with.

Penny

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 6
RE: What I've learned about mug rugs - 11/6/2018 4:37:13 PM   
Janice

Neva, Thank you! I'll have to check out San Francisco Stitch company for their mug rugs. I think making these can be addictive! I'm eager to try to satin stitched edge rather than turning the piece. Thanks for the tip.

Janice

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 7
RE: What I've learned about mug rugs - 11/6/2018 4:41:03 PM   
Janice

Susan, Thank you for your interesting comment. I LOVE your idea of using plastic tablecloth for the backing. Making the mug rug or coaster waterproof would be a great advantage. You may not be doing much embroidery now, but this tip is pure gold! Thanks!

Janice

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> What I've learned about mug rugs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy