Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Dolls & Accessories >> Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/24/2018 8:50:54 AM   
KarenVA

I started making soft sculpture dolls in 1981, when I first saw a doll made by Xavier Roberts (and then found his book and patterns). I always use the recipients initials for the doll's name-- so this one is Barney Nuisance (for our newest grand who is Benjamin Nicholas, but was lovingly referred to as "The Nuisance" while our DD was pregnant!! LOL). Our DSIL has dual citizenship--born here and then moved to England when he was 10. So, Barney is wearing his Place Guard outfit! I was fortunate to find a vinyl remnant for his boots and I used polar fleece for his hat instead of fur.

Attachment (1)

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/24/2018 8:57:52 AM   
aussie

That is precious! Love those eyes. Glad to see someone else is crazy for dolls.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/24/2018 11:52:05 AM   
DonnaSewsAgain

Wow, what an adorable creation! That little face is just perfect, and looks like a lot of work! The outfit is too cute, too :). I would love to see photos of a project like this in progress. Thank you for sharing!

< Message edited by DonnaSewsAgain -- 11/24/2018 11:53:02 AM >

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 3
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/24/2018 2:36:45 PM   
SewLynn

How cute! I love Xavier Roberts pattern book ... I've made MANY of the dolls. One of which I made for my son who is now 40, and his children play with it when they come to visit grandma. They call it the 'daddy doll'.

I really like your naming method!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to DonnaSewsAgain)
Post #: 4
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/24/2018 7:18:18 PM   
MoDo

Sew cute!

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 5
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/24/2018 9:06:27 PM   
caaguirre

I sit here with my jaw dropped in amazement at your talent in making this doll. I bought Xavier's books way back when (and still have them) but have only made clothes from the patterns. This little guy is precious and I'm glad to see that Cabbage Patch is still popular with others as well as myself.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 6
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/25/2018 8:40:58 AM   
KarenVA

Thank you, Ladies!! This was a labor of love for sure! But, I was a bit rusty (the last doll was made a few years ago)--when I was sculpting the first hand, realized that I made a thumb and FIVE fingers!!! DUH!! Had to rip that one out and start over!!! I changed the arm pattern from the original when I first started making these because the original arms just hung down and made the poor doll look "blumpy"--the new arms give hugs! I also add a belly button and "cheeks" on the backside. Then I paint a small heart on the chest--and new doll comes to life!

Donna, you would laugh as the doll progresses! The body is made first, then the little round head. When I get that far along, I place the head on the legs (between finishing) so I don't lose any parts. That looks really goofy!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/25/2018 10:11:43 AM   
Grammie

Absolutely adorable! I am so impressed...what a loving gift. Lucky grandchildren, indeed.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 8
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/25/2018 5:41:16 PM   
caaguirre

One question Karen, what is your fabric of choice for skin?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 9
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/26/2018 5:02:51 PM   
KarenVA

Here’s what I buy:

https://crscrafts.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Soft+sculpture+fabric

KarenVA

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 10
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 11/26/2018 8:19:06 PM   
caaguirre

Thank you, that was a fun trip through CR's website. I had no idea that they're still is business. I used to regularly get their paper catalog in the mail back in the stone age,

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 11
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 12/3/2018 9:36:53 PM   
Cooki3z

it looks so cute!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 12
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 12/4/2018 7:59:13 PM   
Pat C.

Adorable!

(in reply to Cooki3z)
Post #: 13
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 12/5/2018 1:32:23 PM   
SewLynn

Wow, Karen ... the color selection on the fabrics you're using is so much more than it was when I made the dolls. Reasonably priced as well.

What are you using for fabric paint? I used to use gesso from the art supply store that created a paintable surface on the fabric, and then used acrylic paint over that. It's held up well on the doll I still have, but if too large of an area is painted, it can crack when dry..

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 14
RE: Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben - 12/6/2018 5:44:39 PM   
KarenVA

Thanks, Ladies!! I’m so excited—we can give little Ben his Barney in person!!! They will be visiting for Christmas!!!

Lynn—I mix my craft paint with textile medium (the final coating is just plain clear nail polish). Textile medium lets the paint soak into the fabric and also keeps it more pliable (even after lots of washes and drying in the machine. I recommend putting and old nylon stocking over the head when washing and drying to keep the yarn hair from pilling.

KarenVA

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Dolls & Accessories >> Soft sculpture doll for Baby Ben Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy