Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

If you have to choose one...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [MPC News & Updates] >> Schools & Events >> If you have to choose one... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If you have to choose one... - 12/10/2018 2:43:54 PM   
Mimi3

Funds dictate I can attend one sewing expo or event in 2019. What would you choose if you have to choose one? I'd like to take some classes but also want exposure to machine and products. Please share your thoughts as they will help steer my thinking.

Mimi3
Post #: 1
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/10/2018 5:22:31 PM   
SewLynn

Depends on your interests ...
Quilting?
Sewing?
Heirloom?
Machine Embroidery?

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Mimi3)
Post #: 2
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/11/2018 5:59:21 PM   
Mimi3

Good question but, I enjoyed them all! I like to see new products and stock up on supplies not available in my area. I also enjoy classes and learning new techniques. I’m taking advantage of online classes so might choose an event where I can shop.
Mimi3

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 3
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/11/2018 6:37:18 PM   
Grammie

I have been to "Stitching at the Beach" in Myrtle Beach...it is good for classes and supplies but not so much for machines.

I will be at a 5 day school in April in Nashville, TN at Children's Corner with Gayle Doane. I know there will be fabrics, notions, and patterns but I'll let you know about the rest - perhaps someone else has been there and knows more.

I expect there may be more schools like our old Martha Pullen schools now that Kathy & Phyllis are back in the picture. I loved going to Huntsville for schools - certainly everything there including machines.

Of course, there are the Expo kind of things - I haven't been to any in the USA and the one in Toronto has failed miserably, in my humble opinion.

I know nothing about the quilt shows/schools...there are others here that will have that information.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to Mimi3)
Post #: 4
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/12/2018 11:24:15 AM   
SewLynn

https://sewexpo.com/

It's huge, held on the fairgrounds in Puyallup WA. Booths aplenty to shop and many many classes. They cover just about every type of textile needlecraft.
I've gone twice and learned so much and gained incredible amounts of inspiration.

< Message edited by SewLynn -- 12/12/2018 11:27:27 AM >

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 5
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/13/2018 9:19:22 PM   
Mimi3

I’ve followed the links you provided. Oh, my! These are new, intriguing choices. I need to find out more about costs, lodging, etc. Please do write more about the Children’s Corner school. I attended Martha’s sewing school before the company changed hands. That’s where my sewing skills were challenged and expanded. It looks as if Stitching at the Beach is a similar set-up.
Thanks for the help.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 6
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/14/2018 12:39:03 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I guess it depends on both interests and your location... if you live on the west coast I would do Puyallup - sure hope you are not in Canada - slim pickens here -

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Mimi3)
Post #: 7
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/17/2018 8:04:44 AM   
Bonita

If you are located in the Wisconsin area we have Nancy's Sewing Weekend which is three days of seminars and hands on sewing located at Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam WI.
There are quilting, garment sewing, and embroidery seminars that are 90 minutes long. Always have a great line up of speakers. The Nancy's Notions
warehouse is open for shopping. Babylock is the machines featured and always at super pricing. This is the first Thurs, Fri, and Sat in May.

The second Thurs, Fri, and Sat in Sept we have the Quilt Expo in Madison WI. This was started by Nancy Zeman and WI Public TV and this had grown by leaps of the 11 years.
There are over 200 vendors with every quilting tool, sewing machine, quilting machines, fabric available. There are seminars that are 50 minutes and hands on classes.

Both of these are able to viewed on line -- Nancysnotions.com in Feb 2019, and www.wpt.org.

Bonita

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 8
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/20/2018 12:54:55 PM   
SewLynn

Shirley - slim pickins in the Northeast too, especially if one doesn't quilt.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Bonita)
Post #: 9
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/26/2018 10:04:53 AM   
Mimi3

I’m located in the southeast so Sewing at the Beach sounds interesting. What about the weather? I would drive and that would be a concern. What has been everyone’s experience with that?
Today emails had information about a sewing expo in Atlanta in March. Hmmm...that sounds interesting, too.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 10
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/26/2018 10:37:11 AM   
Grammie

"Stitching at the Beach" is probably sold out now...but it doesn't hurt to check! My sister drove there from Indianapolis with no problem. January in Myrtle Beach can be cool and the town is pretty empty - not tourist season! However, we preferred it that way - not so much traffic and many restaurants to choose from - and they are not too busy! Try it - you will like it! LOL

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to Mimi3)
Post #: 11
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/26/2018 8:39:42 PM   
Mimi3

Grammie,
I can’t attend this year but am really interested for next year. When does registration begin for this event? How far ahead should I plan if I decide to go?
Thanks for the help!

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 12
RE: If you have to choose one... - 12/27/2018 12:08:48 PM   
Grammie

Go to the website... https://www.stitchinatthebeach.com/

You will see that all registrations are to be mailed in. There is a phone number for the lady who manages this (Linda). You can call her and ask to be put on the notification list but that doesn't always work. I just check the website beginning in May to see if registration is open yet. The dates will at least be set as they have to reserve the hotel a year in advance.

I hope this helps.

(in reply to Mimi3)
Post #: 13
RE: If you have to choose one... - 1/3/2019 12:03:30 AM   
JR

I saw the post. I live around 100 miles South of Nashville but probably will not go. Never had any grand-daughters and I think Evan will be the only grandchild. Bought some the tapes Gail made on her construction techniques. Very interesting!!

JR

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [MPC News & Updates] >> Schools & Events >> If you have to choose one... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy