Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: My new sewing room 😭

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: My new sewing room 😭 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/1/2019 12:06:46 PM   
summitbay

Totally unacceptable. I have had so many workmen at my house the last few years, because of the age of our house it was time to remodel and update. I despise having people working in my space. I tense up immediately. If I had to go through all of the planning, mess and general upheaval and end up with those results I'd be sick too. You must be wondering why so unlucky?? You have no choice but to grit your teeth and get through it. You are strong and determined, don't give in until you get the results you want and deserve. At some point in time this will just be a bad memory. It will be worth it. Just hang in there.
Have you been able to work on anything creative? How about your amazing paper/cards projects? I know you have many sewing ideas in your brain that still need to happen. Can't wait until we start to see you posting those pics again. In the mean time, be good to yourself.

Kim

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 21
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/2/2019 12:40:36 PM   
sewsusan

Mizlilly, like everyone, I have wondered where you were & how the renovation was coming along. 2019 WILL be better for you; as mentioned, keep the faith & persist in your efforts to make your dream room become a reality. In the meantime, big hugs. Keep us posted
Susan

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 22
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/2/2019 11:56:17 PM   
JR

Lillian,
I am so sorry!! To me, that is shoddy construction work. Can't believe they could not see it!!
You have to be so frustrated with that company. We just had our master bath re-done and 2 weeks turned into around 8 weeks with a hole in the kitchen ceiling. Found out the original plumber didn't glue the pipes( I know it isn't glue)in that bathroom. We've only been in the house 30 years and the shower had been re-done and the pipes had been fixed.
Have you met with the new contractor? If so, will he or she have to start all over?? Wish I coould say or do something for you but we are here for you!!
It was wonderful seeing you post!!
Happy New Year!!
JR

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 23
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/6/2019 12:36:39 PM   
Bobette

I can't fathom how this person got a license. Absolutely horrible. Didn't realize your renovations were still in progress!! Hope the lawyers get your money back. Absolutely horrible. I do believe I could have done that well!!

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 24
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/9/2019 11:11:02 AM   
SewLynn

I hope things are starting to go your way Lillian. Thinking of you.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 25
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/11/2019 1:57:10 PM   
SusanB

So sad, Lillian! Especially since you do such beautiful, perfect work yourself! The shoddy work is obvious to even the most casual observer.

Does your new contractor have a time frame? Besides waiting for spring for the outside work, of course.

SusanB

(in reply to summitbay)
Post #: 26
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/14/2019 2:33:55 PM   
mizzlilly

Thank you all for your kind and supportive comments. It means a great deal to me!

To answer your questions: Dana, that photo of the barn door bulkhead isn't covered by the building code as far as I know, although it probably should be. A big, heavy barn door could really hurt you if the hardware came out of the wall! It should all be solid wood like it is on the left side. I don't think they actually know how a barn door works! The hardware is a little more than double the width of the door. So I am having the new contractor rebuild it.

Penny, I'm not sure what the licensing situation is here in Ontario, but I do know that most contractors are not licensed...maybe none are at all? Tradesmen, like plumbers, electricians and carpenters are all licensed. I'm almost certain that the contractors are in financial trouble. How could anyone do well financially whilst doing things three or more times before getting them right? And letting a project drag on and on.

Kim, I've been making cards...lots of cards. But I've barely sewn a stitch. Everything is packed away, lost, inaccessible. No room to work. It's awful! I think my main creative activity has been shopping for paper crafting supplies!

We don't really have any good options. Here in Ontario you can sue in small claim's court for up to $25000. BTW my lawyer is a small claim's court judge. Of course if we went that route he would have to recuse himself from our case. The only other option is superior court, and that would cost as much as we're out. There is a construction lien act and the contractor is supposed to hold the monies received from their client in trust to pay suppliers and subcontractors, and provide an accounting when requested. Of course we requested; they ignored. They've ignored every single issue...one small victory is that they've quit demanding more money from me. They finally got that message! We caught a couple of small breaks and hope to get somewhere with the original owner of this company who was still onboard when we started. Slim chance, but better than nothing.

I started out believing that the contractors were honest and basically good, but incompetent and in over their heads. Sadly I have now come to believe this isn't the case. When everything is finished I hope I can begin to forget all of this, but the smaller dimensions of the room and the shorter knee wall will be hard to forget!

Now for my ray of sunshine...the new contractor started today! They worked at winterizing outside (it's a balmy -2 degrees Celsius!) and they will start inside on Wednesday and likely finish their part by the end of the month. After that it will be the painter and the installation of the cabinets. The barn door will be several weeks after that. I've got a good feeling about both the contractor and the electrical contractor, and the contractor was recommended by my accountant. I just hope there isn't any more bad news or anything unexpected. Because of the circumstances I am stuck paying on a time and materials basis rather than a contract price. My son-in-law took down the hideous window trim and the beadboard, so that represents quite a savings. He's a wonderful guy!

It sure seems there are a lot, an awful lot, of contractor horror stories. There must be a lot more incompetent and dishonest ones out there, and precious few good ones.

Thanks again. I will share pictures when there is something pretty to look at...thumbs down to the ugliness!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 27
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/14/2019 9:30:14 PM   
caaguirre

Thank you for the update, looks like you're beginning to see some light at the end of this dark tunnel. Finally!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 28
RE: My new sewing room 😭 - 1/15/2019 1:32:43 AM   
Nananeva

Here I am, unable to sleep, and surfing around the internet. Just found this posting about the terrible experiences you have been enduring. I am so sad for you. Please continue to tell us what happens, and when you get into the new sewing room.

Neva

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 29
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: My new sewing room 😭 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy