Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/5/2019 9:11:27 PM   
Linda S.

I'm finally recovered from a busy Christmas season, and trying to decide
what to make next. I actually look forward to winter, when I don't have
to feel guilty for not being outside to pull those weeds!

My mind is spinning with possibilities....returning to my hand embroidered
hankies I worked on last winter, when I finally mastered hand hemstitched hems.
Hand tolled hems are pretty too, and easy to do once I got the hang of it.
Maybe this winter I'll work on embroidery skills, like satin stitching which is
something that's always been hard for me to make pretty.

And I still have a brand new Babylock coverstitch and serger I need to learn
how to use to make nice knit garments.

How about the rest of you gals? Anything in the works? Did you make any
sewing resolutions for 2019? I would love to hear what's inspiring everyone!

Post #: 1
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/6/2019 4:28:23 AM   
aussie

Non stop at this house. I am leading a sewing group and it will resume on Wednesday at the church. Mixed ages! We will be making dresses for Dress A Girl Around the World. Made the sample for them to see. It is Simplicity 8102, will fit almost any girl and be cool for their weather. I have a couple others but we will start with this one to review their sewing skills. I made more than a dozen sleepwear outfits (different sizes) and the sewing group made pillow cases and toothbrush rollups and we took them to the food bank just before Christmas. I have about 4 dozen pre cut preemie gowns coming from an out of state organization. Did a few over Christmas, shipped them and will now have this batch to finish. I made two regular size quilts and a crib quilt over Christmas. Need to replenish my stash for the needy. Like you Linda, so glad to see the winter months. No mowing, no weeding, no raking, wonderful to make a pot of coffee and work on these projects knowing it will help a baby, child, or someone who is just down on their luck. Nothing fancy made here, just basic needs being met for needy. I will add, anyone who is contemplating sewing for children - work on sleepwear. Sleepwear is truly a big need. The second hand shops are loaded with clothing, so that is available to them. But sleepwear just doesn't seem to be plentiful. I am sure many of these people are sleeping in their day clothes. I cannot compete with the foreign imports, too costly and the colors and designs change so quickly. And the modern items is what they will go for and ignore the need for pajamas. The dresses going to other countries is another issue. They have nothing, nothing to chose from, and those children are truly needy. I find much happiness when I finish a little cotton dress or a nice pair of flannel jammies.

Carol A NW Ohio

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/6/2019 12:38:15 PM   
DDinDFW

8102 is a cute pattern, Carol. Such good work you are doing.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 3
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/6/2019 1:05:33 PM   
MoDo

Wow! Carol, you have been busy!

I'm in the planning stage of making a quilt for my husband's youngest grandson who turns one year old next month. Then, when I return from my Calif/Arizona trip, I'll be making another small quilt for my sister's three year old granddaughter. Then it will be time to start start Easter sewing 😄

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 4
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/6/2019 4:24:39 PM   
vpenner

I'm about ready to cut out a top and skirt for the annual employee appreciation dinner for my husband's company. After that's finished, I'm bound and determined to figure out how to spray-based the king size quilt I finished. Actually, I've finished two, but I'm trying to figure out how to baste the first one in limited space; I don't have the floor space to lay it out, so I've got to problem-solve here.

Mother to James (38), Sarah (35), Aaron (34), Adam (31) and David (28)

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 5
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/6/2019 5:25:39 PM   
MoDo

Vanessa--Before I moved into this larger house, I had a similar problem. I solved it by asking permission to use the church. I was able to lay out my quilt on the linoleum floor (after a good sweeping, just in case) and did my pinning and tying. The church also had long tables that I was able to use for sewing my binding on. You might be able to do the same, either at your home church if it has an un-carpeted area or another one in your area if it doesn't.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 6
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/7/2019 1:04:40 PM   
SewLynn

Let's see ... still finishing up Christmas gifts since I don't leave for our holiday celebration in NC until the end of the week. Finished a skirt from the Hot Patterns free Bossa Nova pattern on fabric.com over the weekend, and now working on the Violette Field Threads Sophia skirt (also a free pattern).

And ... in the planning stages of making an American Flag queen sized quilt for my son - a combination Christmas/Birthday present. His birthday is in February, but I doubt very much it will get finished until later in 2019.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 7
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/7/2019 5:42:57 PM   
caaguirre

Dreaming only around here these days, I'm constantly planning my project list and haven't touched my machine in 6 months. Too many other things getting in the way doggone it. You are all putting me to shame, such productivity and so much fun! I did get a new sewing lamp for Christmas, maybe that will make me play hooky from my "have tos" and do my "want tos" instead.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 8
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 1/7/2019 6:24:38 PM   
Linda S.

We sure have a bunch of busy bees here! Wow... how inspiring!

Carol, I loved hearing about all the things you've done for various charities and missions. It really
warms my heart and you've given me some great insight and ideas too! Thank you for sharing, and for
the inspiration too. Isn't it amazing what God can do through people who are faithful. May God bless
you greatly for your tender heart.

Vpenner, I've always wanted to find a good way to baste a quilt top, when all I have is limited
space to lay them out. Several tops are waiting to be finished, but each time I think about
putting them together, I stop short not wanting to wreck my work for sloppy basting together.
I like the idea of spray basting, and I seem to remember that being discussed here before...just
don't recall what was said. In my old sewing room, I had plenty of work table space but no more.
Now, I could lay it out, spray baste together and then fold up again but just don't have enough
floor space to leave it laying that way for long....or it would become a rug since people need to
walk there lol!

Lynn, I'd love to see your finished gifts and the Violette Field Sophia skirt especially. Your work
is always so nice...another inspiring forum great!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 9
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 3/4/2019 12:31:09 AM   
ChrysantheMum

I'm in planning stage for a quit with a pattern (Cathedral Stars) I've never tried before. Most of sewists might say that's nothing special, yet that's still tricky to me. Scraps, scraps are everywhere!

quote:

ORIGINAL: caaguirre

Dreaming only around here these days, I'm constantly planning my project list and haven't touched my machine in 6 months. Too many other things getting in the way doggone it. You are all putting me to shame, such productivity and so much fun! I did get a new sewing lamp for Christmas, maybe that will make me play hooky from my "have tos" and do my "want tos" instead.

I guess, replacing "have to's" with "want to's" makes the whole process even funnier ;)
Just my two cents, give yourself some freedom from "to do list" for a time, it might increase your productivity.

The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. Sylvia Plath

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 10
RE: Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? - 3/5/2019 3:05:58 PM   
caaguirre

Welcome to the forum ChrysantheMum, I looked up the Cathedral Stars quilt pattern because I hadn't heard of that one before. Wow, that looks complicated but a good one to use up scraps. Have fun with it!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ChrysantheMum)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Any sewing going on? Or, sewing dreams? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy