Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Christmas Dress

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Christmas Dress Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 9:18:50 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Grammie was nice enough to help DH and me figure out how to post some photos. It has confounded me forever, but now maybe I can share, too. These are some dresses I made for the young daughters of one of my DD employees for Christmas. Hope this works!!

Barbara
Post #: 1
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 9:37:48 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Oops. Guess I have to work on this some more. Sorry

Barbara

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 2
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 9:45:16 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Will try again....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 9:56:10 PM   
Fancy Stitches

once more..

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 10:03:10 PM   
Fancy Stitches

playing with size..

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 10:09:37 PM   
Fancy Stitches

this is the back.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 10:11:54 PM   
Fancy Stitches

This is for little sister.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/10/2019 10:51:54 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Thanks, Grammie. I think we finally figured this out. You are a gem and I send so many thanks...and hugs!!

Some details about the dresses: The first one is Childrens Corner Margaret. I revised the neckline because it's an old pattern and the necklines were more snug than kids like today, so of course, the collar also needed resized. I made a platter collar rather than the scalloped collar. The embroidery design on both dress collars is A Bit of Stitch "Baby's Christmas." I've had it for a very long time and the digitizing isn't the best (lots of jump stitches) but it's a cute design and very Christmas-y. The plaid is a cotton from FarmHouse Fabrics and was a joy to work with. I used eyelet from my stash (don't remember where it came from). The baby's dress is an old pattern from Karen's Art and Stitchery "Kendall's Dress." I changed the square collar to a platter collar on this one, too. The collars are a fine twill fabric, also from FarmHouse. I purchased a fluffy petticoat for the "big" girl and put some jingle bells on a ribbon and pinned them on the petticoat in 3 places. My DD and DGD always loved the bells on their slips at Christmastime. I worried the bells would be a choking hazard for the little one, so none for her.

I'm so sorry there are so many posts in this thread and I hope to do better in the future. I will share some other projects with you very soon, but tonight I'm tired...I cleaned all day.

Barbara

Post #: 8
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/11/2019 7:37:32 AM   
annabelle1

These dresses are oh so cute - you do excellent work. I have some of that same fabric and you inspire me to use it. Thanks for sharing.

Judy

I sew on Viking Designer Diamond, 1+, Huskylock 936, Viking Mega Quilter & a Singer Featherweight.

Post #: 9
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/11/2019 9:39:55 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Great work and how interesting with the jingle bells on the slips... in the days when the little ones wore baby shoes with laces white ones in leather ours were by savage... we always threaded small bells on the first lace at the bottom of the shoe toe never an issue for choking as we never had a baby who lost a shoe. Now it is not unusual to find a stray baby shoe in the mall or parking lot ditto for socks... back in the day we always checked the babies attire before we left a store... make sure nothing missing ditto for toy or soother.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to annabelle1)
Post #: 10
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/11/2019 11:58:12 AM   
Grammie

Wonderful dresses, Barbara...such lucky little girls. Glad you posted the photos - I am in awe of your expertise!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 11
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/11/2019 12:22:30 PM   
Pat C.

Love the dresses and the collar. So very Christmassy!
I too put bells on toddler shoes so I knew where they were-LOL

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 12
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/11/2019 3:01:31 PM   
MoDo

Both dresses are so sweet, Barbara! Love the embroidered collars, too! And the bow on the big girl's dress!! Perfection!!

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 13
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/11/2019 4:09:50 PM   
Fancy Stitches

You are all just too sweet...thanks!

I remember putting bells on shoe laces, too. And also the "locks" to keep the wee ones from untying their shoes. It was a small tube thing with a screw-on end that slid over the bow and lace ends. Those high top, white shoes (usually Buster Brown or Poll Parrot as I remember) got polished twice a day...at naptime and in the evening after bedtime. As you mentioned, Shirley, it's not uncommon to see a stray shoe in a public place. The ones I chuckle about are the ones I see on the roadway...guess the kid doesn't much like those shoes!

Barbara

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 14
RE: Christmas Dress - 1/11/2019 4:57:29 PM   
caaguirre

Such charming Christmas dresses, I have a real weakness for this type of plaid and sashes and the collars are perfection! I forgot about the bells on slips but do remember bells on the little kids shoes and those little locks on the high top Buster Browns. Also polishing and polishing and polishing those little white shoes. No one would do that these days.

Happy Sewing, Carol

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Christmas Dress Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll