Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Some Christmas Pillows

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Some Christmas Pillows Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 2:54:25 PM   
Fancy Stitches

These are two of the pillows I made for Christmas. They are late because I am just learning (after all these years) to post photos. The Santa pillow is a UT design called Painted Santa. The other is an EL Design called Sparkle Candy Cane. The both turned out really well, but the EL design had over 96,000 stitches. It was the large size and really didn't feel bullet-proof but there are many stitches and it took FOREVER to stitch. It is really pretty and the "sparkle" part doesn't really show on the photo. I used suede cloth.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 2:57:50 PM   
MoDo

Very pretty, Barbara! I especially like the candy cane! More than 96,000 stitches? Goodness !

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 3:14:15 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Here are two more EL Designs. I used a home dec satin-y fabric for these.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 3:22:03 PM   
Pat C.

They're all beautiful!

Post #: 4
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 3:57:38 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Just love your pillows... 96K stitches - not in the near future for me... of course there are issues to consider like... a Redwork or whitework design of that magniture would be easier IMO than a design with lots of thread changes.... but OMG that is a long stitch out.
How did the satiny fabric work? what kind of stabilizer... Is your suede fabric what they call faux suede??? I bought some and normally use it to make inth hoop Kleenex cases often personalized - now the piece I have is keeping me dithering... do I want to use it for the pocket on a reading pillow so many nice ones on JUJU fabebook page... and even free cute sayings if you are doing child type pillows - I am thinking there might be enough of the faux suede to use the left over for pockets on a bag....

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 4:15:03 PM   
Bea

They are all just beautiful......I just love the candy cane but ..WOW........lots of stitches.
I do admire yours........
Bea

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 4:30:59 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Thank you for the nice comments! You are too kind.

Shirleyl, I used a fabric called suede cloth, ordered from Fabric.com. It is a mid-weight fabric and comes in all colors. It's really nice for pillows and I've use it before when I made pillows for my DGS sand the DGS of a good friend. Is the faux suede like ultra-suede? That would be somewhat heavier than suede cloth. I think it would make a fantastic reading pillow!! But whatever you do will be fantastic...your projects always are!! The satin-y home dec fabric stitched really well and I used a cut-away mesh stabilizer on all the pillows. For the candy cane I used 2 layers of mesh and it handled the stitch density well. That pillow took me about 4 hours, but I really like it. I won't be volunteering to stitch it for anyone else tho!! LOL

Barbara

Post #: 7
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 4:36:52 PM   
caaguirre

So pretty and definitely a labor of love. Glad you were able to post the photos, thanks for your inspiration.

Happy Sewing, Carol

Post #: 8
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/11/2019 8:12:33 PM   
Daylily430

Lovely pillows! The “Merry” and “Joy” pillows are stunning!

Ellen
Blog www.seamsandfinishes.com

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/12/2019 10:14:06 AM   
JR

Wow, your pillows are gorgeous!! I looks at how many stitches an item has and so no thank you!
Did you make pillows for other holidays??
Gorgeous Work!!

JR

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 10
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/12/2019 4:14:55 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Thanks! I appreciate your compliments. No, JR, I have not made pillows for other holidays. Home dec is not my favorite kind of sewing, but I do love Christmas and decided to do something extra for the holiday this year. Actually, the pillow construction was quick. Years ago, Lillian embroidered some beautiful decorator pillows that she shared with us here. I made a mental note about them and one day I may actually stitch something similar. As I remember, they were lovely bluebirds on floral branches...so peaceful and spring-y. This time of year, I need spring-y.

Barbara

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 11
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/12/2019 8:37:25 PM   
Grammie

All the pillows are just stunning...want to come stitch for me?

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 55!

Post #: 12
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/12/2019 9:35:26 PM   
caaguirre

I remember mizlilly's pillows, I think she used designs from this set - https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Products.aspx?Catalog=Emblibrary&ProductID=X6633 because I went over to Emb Library and bought them after I saw her beautiful pillows. Don't remember what size she used though.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 13
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/13/2019 2:01:34 PM   
Penny Hal

Your pillows are magnificent! I admire your tenacity in getting them stitched out. Thanks for the added details about how you did it. My Chirstmas pillows are still on the couch! I don't feel limited by the seasons!

Penny

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/13/2019 3:51:46 PM   
Galeoreo

Those are beautiful! All the stitches for the candy cane must have been daunting, but you did a lovely job. My favorites are the Merry and Joy ones. Stunning.

Gale in Arkansas

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 15
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/13/2019 8:15:40 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your kind comments. I forgot to mention the Merry and Joy pillows were stitched with gold metallic thread...without any thread breaks. I used Kingstar thread and stitched on my Brother 6-needle. I have found that the metallic thread does great on the 6-needle, unlike the problems I sometimes encounter with trying to stitch it on the multi-purpose machine. I don't even have to slow the machine very much and I still don't get thread breaks. For a long time I hesitated to try the metallic on the 6-needle, but I'm sure glad I finally did.

Caroll, you are absolutely right...that is the set of designs Lillian used. Those pillows were stunning!!

Barbara

(in reply to Galeoreo)
Post #: 16
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/13/2019 8:16:25 PM   
KarenVA

Beautiful!!!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Galeoreo)
Post #: 17
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/14/2019 9:27:34 PM   
caaguirre

I just saw a post by Sonia Showalter recommending Kingstar metallic, glad your experience was positive using it too.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 18
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/16/2019 10:22:56 AM   
sewsusan

Love your pillow creations! You certainly are an inspiration, but 96K would probably take until next year if I started now!! Now that the holidays are "over", I, too seem to need "Springy".
Thanks for sharing

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 19
RE: Some Christmas Pillows - 1/16/2019 12:46:07 PM   
SusanB

Gorgeous pillows, Barbara! I looked at the Santa design and then passed. So sorry now!

SusanB

(in reply to sewsusan)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Some Christmas Pillows Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy