Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Puckering design?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Puckering design? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Puckering design? - 2/8/2019 8:23:35 AM   
blaise84

I recently got a Brother SE-400 and I love it! I make patches and I managed to make a few before I started to have issues. The original design is below. My first try went like this... (if you can't tell, it's bent like a bowl) This is what it looks like when I flattened it using my fingers... (there's still considerable puckering around the text)

Then I tried it again, this time with a lower tension. It started out fine, but by the time it got to the yellow (the third color), it was puckering again. When I tried to do the black, it had puckered so bad the needle was only going down in one spot. It was unable to move.

I used 3 layers of iron-on stabilizer and I sewed them together in a desperate attempt to stop the puckering. It's not necessarily that the fabric around it is puckering, its that the actual DESIGN is. I use medical tape to keep it from sliding around in the hoop. I still have puckering!! What should I do?

Reference:
https://forum.embroideres.com/forums/?forumId=28
explainer video
Post #: 1
RE: Puckering design? - 2/8/2019 10:35:45 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Follow the link to learn how to post a picture of your problem design http://forums.marthapullen.com/tm.asp?m=107519&mpage=1&key=POST%2CPICTURES𚏿

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to blaise84)
Post #: 2
RE: Puckering design? - 2/9/2019 1:57:13 PM   
Penny Hal

Have you used cut away stabilizer? The iron on is pretty ligh weight. It does sound like a stablizing issue, however, whenever I do fsl...which is what badges are as well...I always have curving issus. I think it's because the bobbin thread is lighter than the top thread. This doesn't really help solve the problem though.

What I find helps is to use 3 layers of washaway stabilizer on top without hooping them. I use scraps for the first two layers, then a solid sheet on top so that the embroidery foot doesn't get caught on the scraps. I do a very very light spray of glue on each piece of wss so that they don't bunch up, and prevents the glue build up on the needle.

The wss adds a little space between the thread and the fabric which allows the design to relax and not curve up. You do need to be careful so that you don't add so much stabilizer that the needle can't punch through and breaks a needle! I usually hoop a one layer of wss which also adds a little more space. The problem with hooping the wss is that if the hoop isn't very very very tight, the stitching will pull the wss out of the hoop a little bit causing the wss that was hooped to get wavy.

But, each machine is different and what works for one may not work for all!

Penny

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 3
RE: Puckering design? - 2/9/2019 1:58:44 PM   
Penny Hal

BTW, Thanks, Shirley for the photo posting hints!

Penny

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Puckering design? - 2/9/2019 4:25:28 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I noticed on Sonia's stitch out her hoops are wrapped to keep the Vilene tight... not sure what she wraps her hoop with perhaps just long strips of stabilizer wrapped around and around he hoop to provide extra grip. I do same thread top and bottom for FSL just fill your bobbin well before you start the stitch out I don't do badges but perhaps switching to embroidery thread top and bottom will help...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Puckering design? - 2/9/2019 5:41:31 PM   
Nananeva

Some hoops will NOT tighten enough to hold thinner fabrics tight. As the design embroiders out, the stitching pulls the sides from the hoop. This is one cause of puckering. It can actually make it distorted! My Brother 6 ndl showed daylight between the large inner and outer hoops, no matter how tight they were. The longer sides of the hoops were the worst. I wrapped the inner hoops of my Brother machine with Vet Wrap and had no more problems. Vet Wrap is stretchy and clings to itself, for animal bandaging. Later, I saw the hint Sonia gave in her Youtube video. She uses scraps of sticky washaway to wrap the hoops. Because its sticky, and very thin, it is easy to build just the perfect thickness. Works great!

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 2/9/2019 5:53:38 PM >

Neva

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 6
RE: Puckering design? - 2/13/2019 4:39:50 PM   
Penny Hal

I think this goes to show that every machine/hoop system needs an indiviual solution. It's good to hear about all the different techinques to use as sometimes I need something different if what I'm doing isn't working.

Penny

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Puckering design? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll