Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: Anyone home?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: Anyone home? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anyone home? - 3/2/2019 1:43:44 PM   
MoDo

I was on my annual visit to my family in SoCal, then to the Tucson Gem and Jewelry shows, then back to SoCal for more visiting 😁. Picked up a bug while gone 😞, so have been chilling for the past week. Will start on my DGD's Easter outfit soon.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone home? - 3/2/2019 9:11:07 PM   
caaguirre

I was wondering where you'd been, MoDo. Sounds like fun except for the bug part. Did you find goodies at the Gem and Jewelry shows?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone home? - 3/3/2019 1:17:10 PM   
Penny Hal

Ok, Mizzlilly, I have to chime in here...

I think which dog you go with should be about the size you want. The maltese are quite small and very trainable, and love attention...a great companion dog. I've had them in my agility class are they are so sweet and easy to train. The Havanese have been in agliity too. They are a larger size with more hair and very loveable and compliant. I did not find them to be so excited about working/learning generally. I've never have worked with a papillion, but know owners of them. The are lively, smart, and very trainable. I've thought of getting a papillion instead of a corgi. But, I like to do sheep herding with my dogs and agility.

So, I'd think about what size dog you'd want, how energetic you want, and type of personality you desire. Each dog has it's own personality and temperment which can be hard to predict. Go to the dog show and talk to the breeders. The breeders are naturally in favor of their breed, but see how friendly the dogs are that you see there and how they behave in the ring...are they jumping around? barking unnessarily, coperative with the handlers? etc.

A short story...when I got my first two corgis, I'd take them to the small dog part of the dog park. The would immediately take over the place and round up and hold all the other dogs against the fence! This did not make the other owners happy, so we stopped going. I knew right then that I had to find some sheep for them!

Penny

Post #: 23
RE: Anyone home? - 3/3/2019 2:59:37 PM   
MoDo

Hi Carol--Yes, I brought back some nice (inexpensive) pearl jewelry and other stuff. Photos have been taken, so now I just have to decide which venue to use for sales.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone home? - 3/5/2019 4:54:00 PM   
sewsusan

We are finding ourselves (like many other parts of the country) in "blizzard weather"......snow everywhere & non-stop. Tho' I'm extremely tired of this winter, I have managed to find time to ME with a new Brother embroidery machine! I've been doing some pillows in a homespun onasberg material, mostly with wildlife/Northwoods sketches. I belong to a group which has a seasonal local consi
gnment store I think they will sell (or I hope so!). It has been fun. My dear sister upgraded her emb machine & bestoed her gently used Innovis to me!! Love it.

< Message edited by sewsusan -- 3/5/2019 4:56:19 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: Anyone home? - 3/6/2019 4:33:15 PM   
suzanne52

Grammie, I love your little happy skirt! I do feel your pain, I am trying also to adjust to being a widow. I am trying to get my passion back for sewing, but it is taking a while, Little by little, maybe! I mostly just read the post and do not comment on them, but I am going to try and do better! I love this forum and I have learned so much from all of ya'll.

Thank you!

Sue in LA

Post #: 26
RE: Anyone home? - 3/12/2019 3:37:37 PM   
SusanB

Like Grammie and Suzanne52, I'm adjusting to being a widow, but never thought of losing interest in sewing/embroidery was part of the process! I do a few things, but nothing complicated.
I haven't actually lost interest, but just the desire to put forth any effort to do anything but the simplest project.

Maybe I should do what Nike recommends...Just Do It.

SusanB

(in reply to suzanne52)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone home? - 3/12/2019 4:33:53 PM   
Grammie

Susan and Sue...thank you for posting about your inability to focus on sewing/embroidery while in the midst of grief - I am the same - I have several projects sitting here ready to go but no "oomph" to get started. It seems I just "get through" the days, go to bed early, balk at getting up in the morning (I do it, but it is often a struggle), and try to feed myself a reasonable diet. I have always loved to cook, but now I think, "Why bother!" People tell me it will get better, but after 10 months, it is clearly NOT improving! My beloved is not coming back so how can it get "better"?

I do try to keep my moping and tears to myself and put on a brave face for others. That is doable...and I have never been a good actress! I'm grateful for family, friends, and this forum with so many warm and giving ladies. Thank you.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 55!

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 28
RE: Anyone home? - 3/13/2019 12:55:26 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Grammie - many on this forum have had to walk in your shoes - myself included. Would it be possible to get a dog??? something small non shed lapdog types - I would really recommend Maltese or Bichon - the bichon is sturdier and loves to play but also loves to cuddle as well - of course the maltese are extreme cuddlers. I know how sad you are and you would not believe the crass things people said to me about moving on.... one friend of my husband's told me "I bet you have not even emptied his drawers or cupboards yet... no actually I had not... when his own father died his mother had cleared everything out by the end of the week of the funeral - OMG does not say a whole lot about things IMO... I was shocked - of course I do not know his mother nor what kind of home life there was but well it rattled me for sure - now they are all long gone. Take your time... by the way I feed my dogs whatever I eat that they will eat - I have bacon and eggs they have bacon and eggs I buy back bacon because it is less fat also buy thick sliced Mitchells bacon... I finally learned how to make the eggs for my female... she prefers the yolk broken and cooked firmer - I was making her egg like mine - runny yolk but hot not still cold... I have steak for dinner they have steak... no scraps - it will give you a reason to cook... oh and do not believe what many including the vet will tell you. My first maltese the vet told me just leave her she wont starve when she gets hungry enough she will eat the dog food - so we went on 3 week trip and I boarded the dog at the vets - my first maltese... I dropped her off along with a cut up roast of beef bite size for very tiny maltese... when we got home my dog had been spayed while we were gone like 2 days before... which really made me sad and on settling the bill for boarding and surgery I was leaving and remembered... oh you better give me a bag of whatever dog food you have been feeding her because I knew the beef would only last about 4 days or so... vet stammered and stuttered and admitted we bought her chicken and hamburgers because SHE WOULD NOT eat the dog food.... another thing after they have had full round of shots and rabies and kennel cough... I no longer vaccinate.. We do not keep giving our children more vaccinations every year why would be think the dogs need more.... the only thing my dogs every went to the vets for was more shots until I had the moment of clarity.... no ticks or fleas here so no reason to give them anything but best quality of meat and whatever else they will eat - eggs - cheese - pasta home made of course with meat sauce...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 29
RE: Anyone home? - 3/13/2019 2:57:08 PM   
Grammie

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Shirley. I would enjoy a dog but I travel too much - it wouldn't be fair to a four-legged friend. My kids all have dogs so I "dog-sit" occasionally.

This is the photo I used for my Christmas card in 2018 - along with a message telling distant friends of Jim's death. My youngest grandson was on my lap when this was taken so you can kind of see the top of his head. The photo says a lot about my dear husband and our very special marriage.

Attachment (1)

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 6 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 55!

Post #: 30
RE: Anyone home? - 3/13/2019 4:11:23 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Grammie I travelled with 3 maltese and a bichon - never ever left them behind... by plane and by car long road trips from Calgary to Montreal or down to Arizona... my female Bella went everywhere and I do mean everywhere with me she was a purse dog... I had special bags for her but also had a jungle print very fine mesh shopping bag - all I had to do is put the bag on the floor holding one strap and say in the bag Bella - in a flash she was in that bag she was a real bag lady... Safeway Costco - factory outlets in Arizona - Banff Springs Hotel - some hotel in Snowmass Colorado - Church every Sunday but then she was in a zippered real doggy bag never a peep... even Easter Vigil which is such a long service.... not a peep. Never did I have to worry about my purse - in the bag first and Bella on top... year after she died I was still so distraught I could barely get off the couch - forced myself to go out and went to superstore and yes my purse was stolen... that really undid me for a very long time. Bella & Pistol and my current female all weighed about 5 pounds... Pistol didn't like the bag and tried to jump out while my 6'3 husband had him in a shopping bag on his shoulder - OMG - ok Pistol no more day outings shopping for you - the Bichon you could not take in the car unless under lock and key in his crate - he opened windows unlocked and locked doors and while we were at a gas station inside paying he lowered the window and jumped out and came to scratch at the kiosk door - so never again loose in the car - he gave me fits....
But I would not change one minute with those dogs

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 31
RE: Anyone home? - 3/13/2019 8:46:13 PM   
caaguirre

Grammie and others who are trying to adapt to the death of a loved one, please keep in mind that there are no rules or timetables for grieving. It is what it is. Shirley, I know the grief of losing a loved doggie too, my Annie died several years ago and that hole in my heart has been partially filled by my sweet kitty boy but I still miss her too.

Happy Sewing, Carol

Post #: 32
RE: Anyone home? - 3/14/2019 11:25:27 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Oh, Noreen, how I wish I had words to comfort you and "make it better" but I don't. All I can say is you have my love and prayers for better days. I am grateful everyday for my beloved husband of 57+ wonderful years and can't imagine life without him. Altho' all the terrific ladies on this forum are but cyber friends, it seems so much more personal than that and I believe there is true friendship and compassion here. Your family and friends are so lucky to have you...and so are we!!! Big hugs, dear friend.

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: Anyone home? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy