Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Why do we create/sew/embroider gifts?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Why do we create/sew/embroider gifts? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why do we create/sew/embroider gifts? - 3/19/2019 5:17:00 PM   
KarenVA

I recently received my latest issue of Designs in Machine Embroidery. Eileen Roche's letter at the beginning of the magazine answers this question perfectly:

"The joy should be in the making - the real gift is the process of making the gift, not handing the gift to the recipient. When I create a gift for a loved one, I spend that time focusing on them, enjoying past memories and hopes for their future. Creating a gift for someone is really a gift to myself - the gift of spending time with them in thought."

Why do you make gifts?

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: Why do we create/sew/embroider gifts? - 3/19/2019 8:30:15 PM   
caaguirre

Frankly I've almost given up on making gifts unless it's for charity or the little ones. My family prefers store bought items so that's what I give them. Doesn't cramp my style though because there are lots of opportunities for charitable giving and the littles aren't picky.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: Why do we create/sew/embroider gifts? - 3/20/2019 12:43:12 PM   
Penny Hal

I make gift when I see something that I think another person would like. For example, when a friend of mine was in the hospital she could not eat for a while. So, I made a mug rug with a monster with its mouth open that said, "Feed Me!" that she could hold up to the nurse when she was hungry...which was all the time! Sometimes I make something for someone that deserves somethng special to brighten up their life.

It used to bother me when people would tell me that my gift to them was so wonderful that they gave it to someone else. One one hand it's a compliment, on the other it is easy to feel offended that they did not treasure the gift I made especially for them. I got over it.

Penny

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 3
RE: Why do we create/sew/embroider gifts? - 3/20/2019 3:39:27 PM   
Gone Sewing 2

Now a days....I only make gifts on request...

that way....they know its coming... and I get to do the same as the article written...
all the while thinking of the person

on my list...Mom requested an apron
Daughter wants a quilt

otherwise...just for fun and just for me

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Why do we create/sew/embroider gifts? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy