Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/13/2019 1:03:57 PM   
mizzlilly

PS: I remembered it as a size three, but it must be a five. Patterns were single sized back then, so I can try to find the pattern and see what size it is. But it is definitely larger than a three.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 21
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/13/2019 10:26:58 PM   
MoDo

Thanks for sharing the photo!! The dress certainly does look larger than a size 3! (I'm glad I looked at your SmugMug photo; the gingham shows up better there .) I don't know how old the pattern I found at a thrift store is, but it goes from size 1 to size 4.

I asked my DIL to try to figure out my DGD's armscye size, but haven't heard back yet . I only have a few days left to work on this thing! If I don't hear back by tomorrow (Sunday), I shall just finish putting the dress together and hope for the best. I started the pinafore today and am kind of wishing I would have just used rickrack or some other trim. But, noooooo, I had to choose a flowery trim instead . It has to be hand-stitched. Sewing it on the dress collar was bad enough, but I didn't realize the trim also went around the pinafore neckline! I am definitely a glutton for punishment .

Oh, BTW!! MizLilly--If I can't find the 1/8" braided elastic that's to be used on the sleeves, do you think 1/4" would be all right or would that be too wide??

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 22
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/14/2019 7:30:32 AM   
mizzlilly

Yes, you should be okay with the 1/4” elastic. I zigzagged over the 1/8”...not sure if you can do that with 1/4”. You may need to either make a casing or else stitch through the middle of it. Can’t wait to see your outfit!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 23
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/14/2019 10:59:30 PM   
MoDo

Thanks, MizLilly! I'd better practice a bit with the elastic before trying it on the actual sleeves! I've never sewn it directly to fabric before. If I can't get the hang of it, I'll do as you suggest and make a casing for it.

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.;" -- 1 Timothy 2:5

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 24
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/18/2019 11:25:31 PM   
MoDo

Well, dangnabit! I'm at the hotel trying to finish this dress and now don't know if I should even bother 😒. For some reason the bodice waist is larger than the skirt waist. To try to fix that, I slightly gathered the bodice edge to fit the skirt. Doesn't look too bad, but now there is too much of the bodice lining to properly cover the waistline seam. It's almost midnight and I am just disappointed and depressed 😞. It was looking so cute, too. Probably wouldn't fit my DGD anyway.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 25
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/19/2019 9:23:58 AM   
Pat C.

Oh MoDo, that's so disappointing after all the work. Maybe a new day will help give you a better idea. Maybe darts in the lining? Salvage it for another occasion?

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 26
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/19/2019 8:44:13 PM   
MoDo

Hi Pat! Well, it's all for naught anyway -- it doesn't fit my DGD. I was thinking of maybe adding loops to lace the back up, but that would take so much time. The pinafore doesn't fit, either. I just don't understand. I compared the pattern to her measurements, as I always do when making something for her, and everything should have worked. It's such a darling pattern, too. I guess I'll go ahead and finish it, then decide what to do with it. My sister has a granddaughter who is only 4 years old, so she could probably grow into it. Or, I could offer it up on eBay, although I doubt someone would pay enough to cover not only the material costs, but my time, as well . This is just so disappointing.

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 27
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/20/2019 10:28:59 AM   
mizzlilly

So sorry! I’ve made a few things that turned out too small too! So frustrating and disappointing!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 28
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/20/2019 9:13:49 PM   
MoDo

Thanks for commiserating, MizLilly! I've made a few outfits for my DGD that were too large (such as last year's 4th of July dresses), which isn't so bad, since she grew into them; but to make something too small--there's just no hope for that .

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 29
RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric - 4/20/2019 9:49:38 PM   
KarenVA

I feel your pain, Barbara!!! I’ve done that, too. It’s just so disappointing when it turns out too small.

Could we still see a photo of your dress and pinafore? I am sure it’s really lovely!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 30
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> RE: ISO--Dotted Swiss Fabric Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy