Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/2/2011 1:47:06 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I looked for Fels Naptha soap and while it says it is available at places like Ace Hardware (none in Canada) and Walmarts and Bashas which is around the corner from the condo in Arizona I could not find it here in Calgary. Anyone else in Canada see it anywhere. I am going to call Home Hardware which is in the next town and see.
Besides being good for washing after contact with poison ivy it says that it is good for fleas and ticks on dogs - well we dont have fleas or ticks here in Calgary in the mountains or forested areas perhaps deer ticks but Baxter who was the most adventurous of the 4 and sometimes led Bella astray picked up something in Montana (Himself's fault) and a tick in Knowlton Quebec - the cottage we rented on the main street backed onto Coldbrook Mill Stream. I am not exactly sure if it is a preventative or a cure that is to say would bathing the dogs in Naptha prevent ticks or fleas? The tick had to be removed by the vet - ick ick ick. But I am betting that vinegar would have removed it and I just read the other day of something that removes ticks and I cant remember what it was - something household.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine
Post #: 1
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/2/2011 8:23:44 PM   
Clytee

The Vermont Country Store carries it. A cake of soap that is (I think) 5.5 oz is $8.90, plus shipping and handling of course.

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 2
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/2/2011 9:41:11 PM   
ssstitches

I'll be glad to look here. I keep a stash as it was my mother's favorite for getting spots out of clothes. Good ole brown soap. I have turned all my friends onto it. You just have to be careful using it on the newer clothing.
Let me know if I can send you some. I am sure I can find it. Now I know a new use for it.
Martha

< Message edited by ssstitches -- 7/2/2011 9:42:05 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/2/2011 9:46:20 PM   
DDinDFW

I used to be able to get it everywhere, but I haven't seen it anywhere lately. The local Ace Hardware shows to have it (online search) but I haven't been to look since I have 2 bars here at the house.

Dana, mom of two growing boys

(in reply to ssstitches)
Post #: 4
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/3/2011 8:26:27 PM   
CIVILLA

Shirley, you are lucky.   Down here in Florida, we have everything including fleas and ticks.  We live out almost what you would call in the woods.   We had a small outside dog that got the staggers.  When I got home from work she could only walk about 5 steps before falling.  I put her in the car and headed for the vet.  It was a certain type of female tick.  Got it off and she was fine but would have been dead by morning.  We also had a chow that patrolled the woods and he was bad to get ticks in his ears.  Would not let you touch it.  The vet gave me something that I used.  You touched the tick with a q-tip dipped in the medicine and the tick would die and fall off.   We just give the dogs flea pills once a month and that seems to take care of the fleas.  Isn't naptha the same thing that is in moth balls?  Supposed to keep snakes away if it is.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 5
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/3/2011 8:47:31 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

No snakes here either - too cold in winter when it often gets to -25 or colder.
No rats either field mice though we dont get many spiders either just flies and bees and wasps etc oh and mosquitoes.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to CIVILLA)
Post #: 6
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/3/2011 11:11:14 PM   
chris b

I buy mine at the local grocery store for $1.89 a bar (I think).Have serioulsy been thinking about making my own laundry soap and the recipe calls for using it.You can make something like 4 gallons from one bar of saop and a few other ingredients.Supposed to be low sudsing too so would work well in a front loader like I have.

Post #: 7
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/4/2011 12:20:40 AM   
mizlilly

The last soap I saw that was of that type was the yellow bars of Sunlight soap... but it's been years. Oh, and cold weather doesn't mean no snakes. We have several non-poisonous ones... or so they say... I figure any of them could bite you and it could get infected... however, just an hour or two north and they have Massassauga Rattle Snakes. I am thinking of taking a cottage for a week in the Georgian Bay area... Massassauga territory and their winters would be as cold as Calgary's, with the charm of Toronto's dampness I think!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkerpaws

(in reply to chris b)
Post #: 8
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/4/2011 12:32:05 AM   
SusanB

Yes, cold winters don't seem to make a difference. We say rattlers at 6000 feet in the Sierras. In the summer, of course.

SusanB

(in reply to mizlilly)
Post #: 9
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/4/2011 8:43:32 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Well 3 hours south of us in Lethbridge and Medicine Hat area which is sort of dessert like they hav rattle snakes. I suppose we could have grass snakes here just never heard of anyone seeing one. But since kids bring back stuff from their holidays in BC or Saskatchewan or Manitoba who knows.

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 10
RE: Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada - 7/4/2011 10:51:56 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

No Naptha soap but did find Ban-it soap at Home Hardware in the next town 15 minutes drive. It is also supposed to be good for grease and dogs. Anyone use this soap? it is a bar washing soap not for hands but I am sure that you could wash your hands with it. I am going to call another rural hardware store half hour from here.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Fels Naptha Soap - any one find it in Canada Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy