Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

interlining sheer batiste dress

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> interlining sheer batiste dress Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 10:52:28 AM   
MIRANDA

Dear Friends,
I am making a newborn dress with a fine cotton batiste fabric. What fabric
should I use for an interlining?
Post #: 1
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 11:07:42 AM   
fairygodmother

Miranda,

One of my all-time favorite fabrics.  Do you have a special circumstance requiring that you interline the batiste?  Interlining would change the entire character of the delicate, soft fabric.  If you are interlining, what is the lining?

I typically just line it with white batiste or lawn.

Let us know what you figure out.

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to MIRANDA)
Post #: 2
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 11:11:02 AM   
jem

What about a slip in the same fabric insead of lining.

(in reply to fairygodmother)
Post #: 3
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 11:56:11 AM   
Sparkle

Yes - I vote for slip, that's my favorite.
Debbie Glenn was talking about that at camp - that it was silly to expect fine batiste to support a whole dress in either a yoke or bishop style and she always inter (or under?) lines the yoke with her German Interfacing, or the smocked part on a bishop.  But for a baby dress part of what I love is how soft and airy it is and I can't say I've ever had a problem with the fabric not supporting the rest of the dress.  And the German interfacing does make the pleats stand up nice and crisp!

(in reply to jem)
Post #: 4
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 4:07:43 PM   
mizlilly

I would go with the slip as well!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkerpaws

(in reply to Sparkle)
Post #: 5
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 4:27:21 PM   
Scottish Anna

Hi Barbara

Any chance of you getting German interfacing in your store.  I can never seem to find it and it just doesn't exist here in the UK and I rarely see it on other sites.

Hugs

Anna

I would be unstoppable, if I could just get started!

I want to do, not think, that is my problem!

(in reply to mizlilly)
Post #: 6
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 6:56:30 PM   
MIRANDA

Thanks for the information. You are right about the fabric. It does look so beautiful
for a small one. I must have had a "senior moment" and did not even think about
making a slip. The slip does make the garment look so special.
Well, now I know what to do..... make dress and slip!! A bonnet as well.

(in reply to MIRANDA)
Post #: 7
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/3/2011 7:20:06 PM   
Linda S.

Are you girls saying that you use this german interfacing and no other facing?  What if one were using lace and cutting away the fabric behind it?  Still use german interfacing?

I have got to get some of this stuff.  I'm intrigued.

And someone suggested german interfacing even when I was doing embroidery.  Is this right?  I wouldn't think I could interface a piece that had shadow embroidery on it...but then again maybe so?

Thanks for listening to my brainstorming : )

(in reply to MIRANDA)
Post #: 8
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/4/2011 7:12:43 AM   
Sparkle

Ok - first - there is NO chance I'll have German interfacing.  You have to buy like 4,000 yards of it, a MAJOR investment!!!  You can get it from Debbie Glenn HERE or from Wendy Schoen or also I think from Farmhouse Fabrics.  And yes, you need to get some - it's wonderful!!  It's a very lightweight fusible INTERFACING that fuses perfectly, doesn't come 'un-fused', adds just *enough* definition.  You can fuse it to the back of any fabric and then pleat it and it gives additional definition to the pleats, makes them crisp so they stand up.  The point being it's so shear it'll go thru the pleater.  It also makes the fabric less wrinkly.  That said, I can't imagine myself interfacing batiste to smock it - I'm just saying you CAN do that.  It's used in the commercial market to interface collars, shirt bands, etc. It's also pretty pricey!!!  But there are times when nothing else will do.  O - and it MUST be pre-washed before you use it but do NOT iron it!!!

It's definitely INTERFACING - you must also have a facing if you need one, you can't use only the German Interfacing.  I can't see it working with shadow work, either.  It would be nice for surface embroidery because it would give the soft batiste some body but then you'd have to interface the whole skirt and I don't think I'd like that???  Has anybody used it just to interface just the area behind an embroidered design? I often do surface embroidery or shadow work on the front skirt of a Bishop or yoke dress and I think the German Interfacing would make the embroidered area look too different and make a shadow but I could be worng.  I'm sure somebody will tell me.  Remember - this is all just my opinion.

I almost always make a slip - I almost always just make a simple little A-line slip that will pop over the head or maybe button on one shoulder, usually with just a little machine shell stitch edge around the neck and arms and a little lace at the hem - super simple.  Most little girls now don't own a slip and I think it makes the dress look so much nicer.  Often the slip has outlasted the dress and the girls end up wearing them for nighties.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/4/2011 7:32:55 AM   
makettle

I'm with Barbara on the German Interfacing. I love it, best invention ever. I used it on denim before pleating it and it was awesome. I also used it on the back of interfacing of a blouse and jacket. I hate those stiff stabilizers they use but the GI is great. The other thing Debbie mentioned in class was to use a self slip. So if the skirt is sheer, she suggested two layers of batiste on the skirt. But for simplicity a slip is the best thing.

(in reply to Sparkle)
Post #: 10
RE: interlining sheer batiste dress - 8/4/2011 8:50:36 AM   
Sparkle

The thing with the self-slip is - - - we're usually working with cotton here which MSUT be ironed.  That's bad enough - I loooove cotton but reallyreally hate to iron - but then the self slip makes it that much more difficult and cumbersome to press!!  ugh!  And then the self-slip has to be gathered into the waist seam as well as the skirt - too much bulk, too much fabric.  Again - this is all my personal opinion and preference.  At camp we had the cutest pink cotton sateen dress with a darling organza pinafore and the pinafore was attached to the dress - well, not my dress, on my dress it will be a separate garment.  I know that doubles the facings and finishing edges but I'd just rather have 2 separate garments for laundering and ironing.

(in reply to makettle)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> interlining sheer batiste dress Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy