Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Children's Sewing Lessons

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Children's Sewing Lessons Page: [1]
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Children's Sewing Lessons - 8/5/2011 11:53:54 PM   

Ever since I finished Abigail's dress I haven't had much time to sew on my own.  The sewing that I have done comes in the form of  sewing lessons.  Graham and Abigail are really into their sewing and since their homeschooling hasn't gotten underway yet, they have had a LOT of time on their hands this week and they both decided that sewing would be a good thing to in hours and hours!  lol  By the time I would get through with them I was so tired that all I wanted was a nap.  Abigail hadn't ever Machine Embroidered and really hadn't even watched me ME since the noise that the machines make always scared her when she was she stayed clear!  Being scared by the noise was due to her hearing problems...but her hearing seems so much better these days and the days of being scared by sewing machine noises seems to be behind her.  She has embroidered a design on a burp cloth this week...we still have to remove the water soluble stabilizer and "perhaps" sew borders on it...but then we may declare it finished when we get the water soluble off and move on to another project!  When doing the ME lesson I pulled Graham in so he would find out about hooping items.  They both learned about templates and how to line up their designs in the hoop using the templates.  They have both completed ME designs to insert in their sewing notebook covers.  And, both have started putting information and samples into their notebooks.  A good start to their school year. 

Tonight I talked to dil and gave her the schedule that I would like to follow.  I'm "only" going to help with their homeschooling Monday thru Thursday and only in the mornings.  I will work with the two little preschoolers all four days...a very short time for the 2-year-old and a little longer time for the 4-year-old.  Then two consecutive mornings I'll work with Graham for an hour of sewing and the other two consecutive mornings I'll have sewing lessons with Abigail for an hour.  I think that we can cover quite a bit with two hours a week for each of them.  The lessons this week ended up being too drawn out.  Woody or I one will be working with Joy with her reading (she is in 1st grade).  Then one morning a week I will take Graham, Abigail, Joy, and Esther and do art lessons with them (what am I thinking?????!!!!).  But dd (an elementary school art teacher) has shared some wonderful art lessons on cd and I just feel like they need to be introduced to these art concepts.  I'm starting with the kindergarten lessons as I don't want them to miss any of the concepts.  I may have to split off into two art groups after we get to a certain point as I don't want to bore the 4th grader too much!!!!!  But I think that I can make it interesting enough to keep everyone's attention...from 4-year-old to 9-year-old...especially when it comes to the hands-on...we'll see!  Dd and ds are the artistic ones in the family...I mainly express my artistic-self through my sewing...other than that I can hardly draw a straight line!  The sewing lessons will come naturally for me as will the preschool Montessori lessons...but now the art I will have to do a bit of studying and planning! 

So now we will see if we keep this schedule.  Woody insisted that I submit my schedule to dil and ds and have them take it or leave it!  So I did that this evening.  I only "plan" to teach in the the past often their lessons ran over and filled up a good part of my afternoons I am trying to free up afternoons and have a three day weekend! 

So...if I am "absent"...from here...figure that I am "present" at school!  lol  I'll stick my head in now and then to keep my sanity!!!!!!!!!!  They are starting school this next week.  I will only have the preschoolers next week as the older three are having swimming lessons that will cut into their studies and also tire them out!!!

I guess I had better get to bed.  I have my alarm set to wake me up early so I can go to WalMart before the Saturday is tax free weekend in TN for school supplies and clothing...and I want to get some art supplies.

< Message edited by sewLo -- 8/6/2011 12:04:38 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Children's Sewing Lessons - 8/6/2011 5:00:52 AM   
Scottish Anna

Goodness, I am exhausted just reading your schedule 

Good luck with the schooling, it sounds as though it is going to be very interesting, both for the children and you.  So good that your dgs is willing to learn sewing, I think all boys should learn.  In saying that, my ds wouldn't go near a sewing machine after stitching his finger to the machine when he was 4 years old.  I was always very careful to switch the machine off when he was around, but this day was halloween and I was making costumes for him and some of the neighbours children who were in the house at the time, I got distracted and he went straight to the machine.  He was fine, but my stomach still churns at the idea of it, the needle was right through his finger, so did not know which way to turn the dial to lift the needle!

Look forward to hearing more about your adventures.  Have you thought of doing a blog?

I would be unstoppable, if I could just get started!

I want to do, not think, that is my problem!

(in reply to sewLo)
Post #: 2
RE: Children's Sewing Lessons - 8/6/2011 8:01:48 AM   

Oh my, Lois...what a challenging year ahead for you! It sounds like great fun and I do hope your family appreciates all you are doing for them. I am tired just thinking about it!

Do you have Martha's book "Sew Kool for Kids"? I've found it great for teaching my dgd.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to Scottish Anna)
Post #: 3
RE: Children's Sewing Lessons - 8/6/2011 9:29:11 AM   

Bunny Hill has a new section on her site for teaching kids to sew.

Kelly in Louisiana

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: Children's Sewing Lessons - 8/6/2011 10:58:45 AM   

Blessings Lois. You and Woody are the most wonderful grandparents. The grands will be building loving memories that will carry them thur the rest of their lives. My greatest memories of my aunts and uncles are the times they spent teaching me something. The best lesson they taught me is that they loved me. I hope whem my little Sofia ia old enough I will be able to share my love of sewing. I've already gone thur my antique sewing notions and I'm building her a sewing box. I found a rare childs silver thimble. I hope you all enjoy the lessons. Try to let us know how they progess when you have time.

(in reply to midnightsewin)
Post #: 5
RE: Children's Sewing Lessons - 8/6/2011 10:20:18 PM   

I think your plans are wonderful!  Your Dd and grandchildren are very blessed to have you so involved with their lives.  We home educated both our children.  The grandparents on my side of the family were very supportive, but they weren't able most of the time to be directly involved in their educational endeavors (distance and/or health issues).  May the Lord bless you!

(in reply to jem)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Children's Sewing Lessons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote