Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Horsehair braid trim

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Women's Construction >> Horsehair braid trim Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Horsehair braid trim - 10/3/2011 9:55:12 PM   
SewingGrammie

I have a question. I am making bridesmaid dresses for my dd wedding. The dress is actually two pieces, a skirt and a bodice. The skirt has a slight train in the back, the fabric is light weight and silky, very drapey. The girls will wear a petticoat underneath with ruffles and net, not super full. I hemmed the first dress so that it is 1/2 an inch off the floor in the front tapering back to the train. I used 1/2 inch wide horsehair braid to help the train fan out nice. Unfortunately it flips up instead. What did I do wrong and what should I do to fix it?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 10/4/2011 4:42:09 AM   
Bobette

While I really don't know the answer, maybe you need to sew it on with a long stitch rather than a regular seewing stitch length.

Sounds like alot of work to me!! Can't wait to see the pix.

(in reply to SewingGrammie)
Post #: 2
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 10/4/2011 11:42:10 AM   
mizlilly

I have only used horsehair braid a couple of times. I know it is used to help stiffen a hem, but I am not sure about it for a train. Are you sure you need it on the train? I looked at Susan Khalje's book "Bridal Couture" and found this info: "If horsehair is used in a hem on which there is excess fullness, gather it along its top edge (wide horsehair has a gathering thread along one edge) so it takes the contour of the hem. Otherwise the hem will flare out instead of lying flat. Baste or catch stitch it in place, overlapping the ends to make sure no sharp fibers work their way through the fabric layers." I wonder if this might point to the problem? HTH!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkerpaws

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 3
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 10/9/2011 11:45:00 AM   
Linda S.

I'm just guessing here, and without seeing the fabric. But horsehair braid might be a little heavy to use on the hem of a very lightweight fabric (?). If the fabric is too soft and drapy and not substantial enough to support the braid, the horsehair could just flop to and fro.

I think I'd be temped to try something lighter to stabilizer. Could you just use self-facing with stabilizer fused to it instead? Each time you add a row of stitches, this is going to stabilize the hem a little more too. Do you have enough fabric left over to experiment?

(in reply to mizlilly)
Post #: 4
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 10/12/2011 10:45:24 PM   
SewingGrammie

I ended up taking the horse hair braid off and just doing a narrow hem. Worked much better. The sewing book I had said that using horse hair braid with a light weight drapey material was the best way to get the train to fan out nice. So much for that. The book said for a light weight fabric use a narrow braid, which I did, but it was still too stiff. Now I have yards of the stuff as I bought enough for 4 bridesmaid dresses. Oh well. I learned something anyway! Thanks for your replies!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 10/13/2011 7:39:55 AM   
Bunnypep

Horsehair braid is really quite beautiful. I would use it to make bows for gift wrapping or headbands as gifts. I don't know where but I do know I have seen some crafts on the web somewhere using horsehair. Nothing goes to waste, right?

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

Post #: 6
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 10/13/2011 3:43:50 PM   
SewingGrammie

Oh good idea! I will look for something to do with it.

Thanks!

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 7
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 11/10/2011 9:10:47 AM   
Bunnypep

Just want to add that you could dye it too. Use a dye for polyesters.

Bunny

Post #: 8
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 12/5/2011 8:13:18 PM   
SewingGrammie

Oh funny! I haven't been on in a while, swamped with finishing bridesmaids dresses!! But I just saw your note about dying the horsehair braid. Its funny because we dyed lace for the bridesmaid dresses. We dyed some silver for the dress trim (dresses are navy blue) and we dyed some navy blue to go on the ring bearer pillow. I felt quite adventurous dying so many yards of lace for the dresses. I made several practice runs to make sure we got the color just right, then I dyed the actual lace for the dresses all at the same time so that it would be the same. It all turned out nice in the end. We tried dying some satin covered buttons navy blue, but that didn't work. They came out lavendar[image]. So we ended up buying navy blue buttons instead. [image]

Thanks for the suggestion!

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 9
RE: Horsehair braid trim - 12/6/2011 7:05:08 AM   
Bunnypep

I LOVE dyeing fabric. I may do some today as I work on my jewelry project. It is just magical to me the way things come out after a dunk or spritz of dye, such fun!

Bunny

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Women's Construction >> Horsehair braid trim Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy