Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 9/15/2012 4:53:29 PM   
Martha Pullen

I have loved reading about you ladies!!! Love you all, Martha

(in reply to embroideryallsorts)
Post #: 181
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 9/15/2012 4:55:02 PM   
Bluebonnets

and we all just reading about you Martha.... thanks for stopping by.

(in reply to Martha Pullen)
Post #: 182
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/8/2012 10:53:01 AM   
VannoyJ

Hey, An oldie but newbie here.

"Vannoy"

(in reply to Bluebonnets)
Post #: 183
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/8/2012 11:50:57 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Welcome - tell us about yourself - your machine where you live.....

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to VannoyJ)
Post #: 184
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/25/2012 6:15:14 AM   
Dana

Hi to all and Merry Christmas!

Pardon me for feeling nostalgic today as I think of so many Christmasses past.  So much time has gone by as have many joys and sorrows.  I credit my sewing to my mom, so many years ago.  I still have my mom; she's nearly 89!  She feels guilty for not doing many things with us girls when we were young because my dad was so sick and took so much of her time.  He started having heart attacks when he was 33, one after the other, one ambulance after another, often late at night.  I was the eldest of three and at nine felt pushed into a leadership role when they would leave for the hospital and leave us behind, in the dark!  Mom's expert care kept dad going for 30 more years until the end came, quietly, like always, in the dark. There were endless doctor visits and special meals she always made him; she was busy.  She wanted him to live.  What she did though was open that old, black Singer at the end of the kitchen, in a small alcove.  It was there I would observe her stealing a moment or two away from the stove to stitch. She'd let me try on the scraps.  She didn't have much time to give me instruction but she never told me I couldn't try.  There may not have been much active instruction but there was no discouragement either, not even through the endless thread jams I caused (really it was the blasted machine). She'd patiently come to fix it for me.  She was never critical or discouraging. So, I went on to learn and by eighth grade had made several dresses to wear to school.  Gosh, I'll bet they were poorly made because when I look at some of the things I made my for my kids now, I cringe at the construction. 

Discouragement did come.  It came when I made a sleeveless bubble for my first child, a girl, home from the hospital.  It was mid July and I had a pretty blanket too but the nurse said to me, "you're not going to take her home in that, are you!"  Some how the hand sewn on pink elephant applique that I bought at the dime store and the snaps that didn't quite match up became glaring sore spot and I didn't sew for a long time after that.  I threw that little garment away, feeling like it really wasn't worthy of my beautiful white haired blonde daughter. Today I realize how special it was to have made that garment.  I wish I had it to show my Jennifer now because it was my first act of love, as a new mom, to want something from me to her for that special day, her homecoming! We may first get a good laugh out of it and then a good cry at the tender gesture made by a very young, first time mom. 

Then, there was a terrible car accident in 1990.  I lived but had time off work.  The insurance company paid me child care fees because I couldn't take care of my children, by then there were 5, the last only a year old.  I thought about that extra money.  So many things I needed, so many the kids needed, too.  Finally, while trying to forget the accident and burrying myself in craft magazines, the idea came.  It wasn't long before the idea came home in the form of a new sewing machine, a "real one" this time.  My first real gem was a 1475 Pfaff.  It never had a thread jam!!!! I loved the hum of it, the clink of metal feet being changed, the familiar light oil smell, and the warmth of it's light which stayed on for many hours.  That was the beginning of a love affair with many Pfaffs, sewing machine and sergers.  The big leap was into Brother high end sewing machines and EMBROIDERY!!  The most recent love is a Babylock Evolution . . . . more humming, instead of chugging, lots of warm lights and blow in threading!  Wow, it knocks my socks off!!

Fast forward to many christening gowns for the 16 grandchildren which I finally had the confidence to tackle after a Martha Pullen 3 day sewing seminar in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the 1980's, when she actually taught. Still, I look at those first gowns and see glaring errors but I also remember the love committment to it and to the growing child it was made for.  I still cringe at having to do zippers and buttonholes because I never formally learned how but now that retirement has finally come, I'd like to learn more about the construction features on my well loved Brother Quatro.

So, when I go to see my mom here in a few days, down in Florida, she will likely again mention her regret at not doing more with my sisters and I when we were young. I want to remind her how much her encouragement meant to me when I was young and how it opened then door to a pasttime I truly love and which gives me such joy and diversion from my own struggles in life.  How she had the time and patience to encourge me when her world was crumbling around her, I will never know but it WAS enough and it WAS a lesson for me now with my grandchildren.  It will be well used because I am a Grammy to 16 and counting! 

Merry Christmas!  Dana

(in reply to embroideryallsorts)
Post #: 185
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/25/2012 2:46:39 PM   
Scottish Anna

What a wonderful story and how wonderful.to have your precious mother still with you, may you.enjoy many more together.

Christmas blessings,

Anna

I would be unstoppable, if I could just get started!

I want to do, not think, that is my problem!

(in reply to Dana)
Post #: 186
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/27/2012 1:43:23 PM   
Dana

Awww, thanks, Anna! 

I am so blessed to still have my mom.  I'm savoring every moment with her as we remember how things used to be.  She is healthy and smart and witty.  We marvel at getting through struggles in the past but then, as believers, we know we had all the grace we needed. 

Merry Christmas to you and your family also.
Dana

(in reply to Scottish Anna)
Post #: 187
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/28/2012 8:41:10 PM   
DonnaSewsAgain

Dana, welcome to the forum! I so enjoyed reading your story and was touched by your memories of your growing up years. Have a wonderful visit with your very special mom!

Donna in FL

(in reply to Dana)
Post #: 188
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/29/2012 10:44:04 AM   
Dana

Donna,

Thank you for your kind comments and welcome! 

It's been fun sharing my thankfulnes for my sweet mom who is still so healthy and vital at nearly 89!  Such an uncommon gift for someone my age but I cherish it, believe me!  Happy New Year, Donna!

Dana

(in reply to DonnaSewsAgain)
Post #: 189
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/29/2012 5:12:25 PM   
jem

Welcome Dana, I hope you can come visit often. My Mother didn't encourage my sewing. She was the family caregiver and took care of Granny and Granda. She also took care of everyone one else. There is a strong history of sewing in my family, my aunts taught me and my uncles threaded my needles before I had the eye hand coordination. Then in my teens I taught myself as much as I could. My great-aunt sewed for the Metropolitan Opera when they came to Atlanta. This is something I learned recently.

I pray you and your Mother will have many years to share and enjoy each other.

Psalms 121
The Needler, =^..^=
Jacki, IJCCS (International Jammie Club of Creative Stitchers)
librocubicularist

(in reply to Dana)
Post #: 190
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/3/2013 8:01:06 PM   
Dana

Jacki,  yours is an interesting story, too!  It's a wonder sometimes that we did learn with all that was going on back then.  That was great to have such helpful uncles! 

I just found out that sewing was in our family, too.  My mom shared that two of her aunts or great aunts, can't remember which, were personal taylors to one of our presidents, Wilson, I think. They were the family "spinsters" but must have been pretty accomplished just like your family members.

Thanks for the welcome!
Dana

(in reply to jem)
Post #: 191
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/13/2013 11:46:54 PM   
SewingGrammie

So, for an update, what's everyone working on lately??

(in reply to Dana)
Post #: 192
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 2/5/2013 9:00:24 PM   
ctbear

Hello everyone.
I am a new member as of a few days ago and I was just reading all the wonderful intro's.
I am proud to say that I am from Wisconsin, born and raised.
I just starting to get in to embroidering and currently looking for a machine. I mostly do quilting. I took a class in high school and only made a pillow, not much into sewing at that age. I really did not get into quilting, until a friend of my brought in her quilt that she made with her sisters. It was a queen size quilt with photos of all there families and the past and present pictures of her parents, needles to say it was for there 50th anniversary. At that time I could not afford to get into quilting. I little while later and when I could afford to start, a friend at my new job, offered to teach me and a few others how to quilt. Since then we all share our quilts stories. I just love it. I recently found myself wanting to get in to embroidering, to incorporate into my quilts. So I am currently looking for a machine and any advice that would help me in picking one. I know that it comes down to personal preference and a budget. But I was wondering if there is a feature or (s) that one could not "embroider without"? But I look forward to getting to know all of you.

(in reply to SewingGrammie)
Post #: 193
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 7/20/2013 11:57:17 AM   
Linda S.

Welcome Dana and ctbear!

Dana, your heartwarming story was told with such love and I very much enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing! I hope you'll come to love this forum as I do, and the many wonderful ladies here, bound together by a common "thread"....our love of sewing : ).

ctbear, I'm not a quilter, although there are many wonderful quilters on this forum who are happy to share their knowledge and love of quilting with you. I do most of my embroidery by hand, because I don't have machines with a lot of embroidery capability...but there are many others here who can help you with this. MP forum is a lovely group and I know you'll feel right at home : ).

(in reply to ctbear)
Post #: 194
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 8/2/2013 7:54:11 PM   
aussie

My name is Carol and I am from NW Ohio. I have been lurking around this forum for the past few months as a "guest", then decided to join in. I started sewing when I was in grade school. My mother bought a sewing machine, can't remember the name - perhaps Necchi, and when she would go to work in the evening, I would open it up and sew. I knew just enough through home economics in jr high. My mother had absolutely no patience with that machine. I would cringe when she would open it, it wouldn't work for her and she would be furious. Then again, in the evening, I would haul out things that needed buttons, seams sewed, etc., and fix them, close it up, and we would go through it all over again. I sewed some things for myself in high school, got married, pregnant and needed maternity tops. Could not see spending money for something I could make. Then I went into sewing things for our children and it just keeps on going. Kids are grown, husband is deceased, and the spare bedroom has 6 machines and a boatload of fabric. I have made all my curtains in the house, again price was the issue plus I never cared for the fabrics. And I wanted something light and washable on my windows. Years ago I got interested in sewing for babies as a charity project. Said I would "never" quilt. Ha! There are quilters and there are "quilters". My quilts are for children and the homeless, not wall hangings. I started into quilts to reduce my stash, but like hangars in the closet, the fabric still multiplied at night. So between my stash of yarn and stash of fabric and my stash of dogs (5), this place is always like Santa's workshop. There is something always in progress here. I watched MP shows when she was on tv and then they moved her to cable. I don't have cable, so I lost her. My very favorite part of her program was "Won't you come into my attic?" I loved that portion as she would go over a beautiful garment and just her southern charm gave me a big lift. A friend and I would like to learn smocking and I was given a pleater as a loaner. When the weather cools off, we are going to tackle this smocking business. I don't know, it looks pretty darn intricate but it is just beautiful. So that is my history and why I joined the forum. I love the winter months as it keeps me inside and I can sew my heart away. If my sewing can't help someone, then I am not doing it. I love making baby and children's clothes and you don't have to worry about sizes when you are doing it for children in a shelter. My machines are not the high end machines. I have a Baby Lock serger and emroidery machine. Regular machines: a Brother, a Kenmore, and a Necchi which was my mother in laws and is probably 65 yrs old or more. She was a true inspiration to my world of sewing. When I am upstairs and sewing on her old machine, I hope she is watching me. And the teacher I had in jr high who taught me enough to be dangerous, well, I saw her at a medical office one day. She had dimentia and did not remember me of course. But when I told her I remembered her from school, her face lit up and she smiled once again. She died about one year later. That's it for me. I am going to go back through these posts and read all your stories. Glad to be a part of the group.

(in reply to Sparkle)
Post #: 195
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 8/3/2013 6:01:30 AM   
LisaSewCute

Welcome, Carol! What a great sewing history you have and you are in to so many great projects! I'm glad you joined up and look forward to posts of your creations!!

Lisa, Mom to Peter (18), Kathryn (16), Rose (14), David (9) & Andrew (4)
Blog: http://mommysapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mommys-Apron-Strings/639644296061029?ref=hl
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/mommysapron

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 196
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 8/4/2013 1:32:52 AM   
caaguirre

Greetings from another Carol! I loved reading your post and find that we are so much alike in the kinds of things we like to sew. My favorites are little girl dresses, baby clothes, and quilts - all for charity as my children are all grown too. I also like the fact that size doesn't matter so much with these types of projects. My plan is to outlive my fabric stash and use it all for the benefit of others, do you think it's possible? Welcome to the forum and I hope to see you here often. OBTW on the Nancy's Notions site there is a link to a charity that provides school clothes for the children in America's poorest areas. When I find the link I'll post it in case you're interested.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to LisaSewCute)
Post #: 197
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 8/5/2013 2:37:52 PM   
aussie

Carol, if you find that info, I would love to know about it. I am laughing about your comment "outliving your stash". Afraid I am going to need two more lifetimes. But all need goals, don't we?

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 198
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 8/9/2013 10:35:48 AM   
OHIBETTE

I started sewing at an early age like most of you. MY Mom had a Singer featherweight. After Mom passed away Dad had a drawing , granddaughters for the sewing machine. My middle daughter (3 daughters) won the prize. YEAH!!!

She could make up her own patterns a talent I wish I had. If my sister and I wanted Mon to make us something she would sew until the project was completed ONLY if we would do the housework. I always felt this was a fair deal.
In Junior High and High school I took clothing classes (in the good old days when these classes were offered). I some of my own wool wrap around skirts and full skirts.
When my girls were growing up I always had Singer machines. My Mom made the original hooded bassinet cover. I made new covers for my girls, grandchildren. nephews and foster babies. Mom and her talent making her own pattern were a god send since I used her pattern for all the next babies some she never got to know. My granddaughters inherited my Singer machines.

I made a lot of things for the girls. In 2005 I purchased a used Janome 9000. I went crazy trying to work the machine To this day I wish I had taken a Janome and Embird class. In 2006 I sold the 9000 bought a used 1001 still no classes. I still struggle trying to figure how to operate the machine. My instruction book is getting a bit frayed. If I would take a Janome class I probably would would sew more than I do.
I taught myself to crochet and knit. I like to crochet or knot while watching tv in the evenings. I just made a crocheted a Hello Kitty and Green frog caps for my twin great niece and nephew.

(in reply to Sparkle)
Post #: 199
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 8/10/2013 11:24:16 PM   
caaguirre

http://tlcministries.info/about/about.html Carol, this is the website I was referring to, it took me a little while to find it again since Nancy's Notions showcases so many worthwhile charities.

Ohibette, thanks for telling us your story. I took the class from my dealer for the 10001 but really just learned the basics. The web is full of videos and sites that show sewing techniques which may not be specific to your machine, but can be used with any machine. There are also may books to use as references. If you have certain problems, mention them in the Machine Sewing forum and I'm sure someone can help you with them.

I like to crochet too, my goal is to complete 4 afghans in 2013 for grandson Christmas presents. I hope I make it! I don't know how to knit. I've seen some of the hats on Etsy or Pinterest that you crocheted, they are adorable!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to OHIBETTE)
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy