Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 8/12/2013 4:52:21 AM   
aussie

Thank you Carol for the info on the charities. Will check that out. It seems the need is unending anymore. Thanks again.

Carol (too)

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 201
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/18/2014 9:14:56 PM   
sunbonnetsue

Carol you are so speaking my language about outliving your stash and it all going to charity. You are speaking my language. I have an obscene amount of fabric, including 100 yards of Laurel Burch, 100 yards of Sunbonnet Sue, and Lord knows how many other fabrics I've collected for quilts, doll bedding, and my miniature sewing projects. I only stashed Laurel Burch because I knew all of her beautiful animal artwork would be fantastic fabric to sew projects for fund raising. My obsession for Sunbonnet Sue came when the twins were born. But if I lived another 50 years, I wouldn't use up all my fabric, because I'm still buying at least 10 yards of fabric a week. I just can't help myself.

I do hope when I join the angels my family has the decency to see that most of my things are donated to charities where they will do some good. I have also told my family if my underwear is ever placed in a yard sale, I will send my wrath down on them from heaven.

I would love to see my things donated to wonderful causes. As for me, well I'm a very serious animal rescuer, and an avid supporter of animal charities. My money literally goes to the dogs. And although my family thinks I'm not only completely nuts, but selfish, I would like to see everything I own be used to raise funds for homeless pets.

So if you have a few charities in need, please share that with us. I think most on the boards here know there is just so much joy in giving, that it is always a blessing to have the opportunity to do so.

Welcome newbies, but I myself, am also a newbie, having been here only about 2 weeks.

Janis

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 202
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/19/2014 10:49:08 PM   
caaguirre

One of the places I look first for charitible giving by sewing is the Nancy's Notions site mentioned above. She has featured a great many opportunities to give so it's worthwhile to take a look there. I've spent the last few weeks organizing and cleaning my sewing room, so I'm right in the middle of trying to prioritize my projects since it's impossible to outlive my fabric collection. Well at least we know we're not alone in this facination with fabric, huh!

Glad to welcome you to the MP Forums, sunbonnetsue. Hope you enjoy it here and I look forward to visiting with you again soon.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to sunbonnetsue)
Post #: 203
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/20/2014 7:29:16 PM   
aussie

Carol, I did send some crocheted bassinettes and Christmas stockings filled with items to that TLC Ministries just before Christmas. I am now making nightgowns for the girls and pants for the boys to send probably next month. I am making multiple sizes and they are very sweet. Thank you for mentioning that organization. It appears to be very involved in helping children. I have the time and all this fabric, so will just keep stitchin away here in cold, snowy Ohio.

Carol - the one from NW Ohio

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 204
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/21/2014 12:27:23 AM   
caaguirre

This is music to my ears, Carol. I love sewing and/or crocheting for others and I'm glad you do too. What a blessing you are to these children! I missed the fact that they accept stockings and crocheted items, I'll have to check the site out again.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 205
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/21/2014 8:30:35 AM   
aussie

I read where they took dolls to those children, so I put little bears in the bassinettes. Of course, the boys needed something and I crocheted granny square stockings and put items in the box for them to decide what to put into the stockings. I was given a big bunch of Christmas yarn, worked perfect for those items. They do want hats and scarves, not sure about mittens. But I believe they are now collecting items for spring. There is a cut off time for long sleeve items and short sleeve. This is all new to me so I am just getting things together for spring. And the colder weather items I will stick back for shipping next fall. I did view the segment on Nancy Zieman's site where she interviews the lady who started this organization. Just very happy it was mentioned on this forum.

Carol, NW Ohio

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 206
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 2/27/2014 11:25:48 AM   
astrostitcher

this "thread" is really historic ! someday someone must write a book about all this ... I've so enjoyed reading the stories of the forum participants !

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 207
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 4/3/2014 1:49:39 PM   
Scottish Anna

It is interesting reading all the stories. I will have to try and remember how to copy them to my hard drive, as, if this forum goes, so does all our history.

Anna

I would be unstoppable, if I could just get started!

I want to do, not think, that is my problem!

(in reply to astrostitcher)
Post #: 208
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 4/13/2014 5:53:47 AM   
Linda S.

Speaking of charity sewing, I've been making pillowcase dresses for the Little Dresses for Africa ministry for a couple of years now. Nancy Zieman supports this ministry as well....don't you love that woman!

Since most of the dresses (and shorts for little boys) go to Africa, I've wondered what these children consider as a pretty dress fabric. Now I know they are grateful to receive anything...but I wish I knew what their preference might be. A couple of years ago someone sent me quite a bit of fabric in cartoon prints, to make shorts for the little boys. As I looked at that print, I wondered what a little African boy would think about for example a goofy picture of spiderman....or other silly cartoon pictures on the fabric. They don't ever see television.

Does anyone here have thoughts about this?

(in reply to Scottish Anna)
Post #: 209
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 4/13/2014 10:33:33 AM   
SusanB

Linda, thinking about missionary pictures I see of various African people, I would say that the brighter and bolder, the better. Also, people in the poorest slums seem to have American logos and sayings on t shirts. I think the cartoons would be great and the bright, mismatched colors and prints popular today would be well loved.

SusanB

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 210
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 4/14/2014 11:23:27 AM   
Linda S.

Susan,

I'm sure you're right about the bright colors, but I think most of the dresses from this ministry find their way to children who are out in the jungle and don't have access to television, etc. In a city, needy people living in a slum might be wearing donated items...and since most of these donations come from americans or others who imitate American styles, the donated fabric reflects the taste of the one who donated rather than the recipient. Do you see what I'm getting at? The needy just wear what they are given.

That said, in the few pictures of African women I've seen for example on tv documentaries, the African people are wearing bright colors as you mentioned. I should ask someone from LDA, and see what they say. Some of the donated pillowcase dresses I've seen are probably not something the mothers would choose, and they're not very serviceable. Its really fun to make the dresses with delicate fabric, lace and ribbon ties, but those wouldn't hold up well being washed with water from a river. I'd like to give something the children and/or mothers would pick, if possible.

Many of the little girls who receive these dresses are orphans, possibly due to the high incidence of AIDS there. And in many African villages orphan girls are not thought of as valuable people. That shocking sentiment was also common in the U.S. in our not too distant history (orphans were considered second class citizens). The dresses send the message that little girls have worth, God loves them very much and so do we. For anyone who is reading this and considering a ministry to donate to, LDA is a Christian org.

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 211
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 4/14/2014 12:01:36 PM   
SusanB

All of your thoughts are so true, Linda! When we were missionaries in the Philippines, we were told NOT to toss worn out shoes (and trust me they were WORN out) but sit them on a tree stump along the path and they would be snatched up. Exactly what happened! Another time, my husband left his glasses on a cement wall while playing basketball with some neighborhood kids and forgot them. Of course they immediately disappeared and since they were prescription from the states, that was a significant loss. A friend put the word out in the nearby village, and the next morning they reappeared. They weren't stolen, just assumed to not be wanted any longer.

As you suggest, we in the western world have no idea what poor and disadvantaged really is. Recently I saw a documentary on used clothing and it said that the Salvation Army and other large thrift store operations only keep things in the store a month or so. If they haven't sold in the allotted time, they will be crated up and sent to third world countries where they are sorted through (the best going to the local hierarchy) and sold in local markets. The dregs (about all that's left at that point) make their way into rural villages and are snapped up. There were other steps in the process, but the point is that even most people in remote jungle villages have access to some western world clothing - if only the worst of the worst. In that situation, can you imagine the delight to have something new, no matter what color or style? I know several people who make dresses for LDA and as I look at all of the pillowcases languishing on our store shelves, I think that might be an excellent service project for any number of organizations.

Thanks for the great idea, Linda!

SusanB

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 212
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 5/8/2014 8:09:58 AM   
Linda S.

Susan, I can't believe I just saw your response. Sorry about that! And I'd like to thank you for serving God in the Philippines. That must have been quite an experience!

I see so many pillowcases donated that have satin ribbon ties and they are beautiful but I doubt those last long in a jungle setting. LDA has never criticized any donations they receive and I understand why.

The elastic that is threaded through the top casing is another thing I wonder about. At my house, elastic that goes through a hot summer in my attic is shot when I find it and I wonder if elastic might wear out quickly in Africa too. So I make mine with fabric ties, rather than elastic. For that matter, elastic wears out eventually, making the dresses unwearable. I've posted to the LDA facebook page but my thoughts on this were rejected by most people who would rather make their pillowcase dresses with elastic rather than fabric ties. These dresses do look nice with elastic.

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 213
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 5/8/2014 11:23:13 AM   
SusanB

Linda, you are so right about how impractical satin ribbon and elastic can be. Satin ribbon will wear out long before the dress and elastic limits the size of the dress as well as its durability. I just returned from visiting my grands in Colorado and brought with me a sweet hand-me-down dress of my granddaughter's. She is a bean pole 5 year old, but the sundress had elastic in the back and it was too tight for her! I will remove the elastic and she will have a darling dress for this summer.

I can't quite picture how elastic would be used in a pillowcase dress, but even children from remote villages in Africa are of different sizes and shapes and elastic will limit its usefulness. It just goes to show that most of us have no idea of the real situation of the people we are trying to help.

SusanB

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 214
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 7/2/2014 1:13:44 PM   
Saralou

I came here to reintroduce myself. I am jem. When I moved from my cottage to the family home I lost all my passwords and e-mail accounts. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be back home. My new name Saralou is a combination of 2 family names that go back generations. Love catching up on everything and everyone.

< Message edited by Saralou -- 7/2/2014 1:14:49 PM >

Jesus, I trust in you.
Blessings,
Jacki aka jem aka Saralou

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 215
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 7/2/2014 3:30:41 PM   
SusanB

Welcome back, Jacki! We have missed you!

SusanB

(in reply to Saralou)
Post #: 216
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 7/3/2014 3:09:06 PM   
Chere

Yea! So happy to see you back! Been such a long time.

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 217
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 1/8/2016 1:14:18 PM   
Jacki

Saralou didn't work very long. Lets hope Jacki will be left alone. I am tickled to death tobe back and catch up. I have been keeping up on the prayer board and will love catching up on the other forums.

(in reply to Chere)
Post #: 218
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 3/7/2016 8:55:50 PM   
MoDo

Do I smell eggs and SPAM??
Post #: 219
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 3/8/2016 10:15:36 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

I was going to take it down last night but thought I would leave it in case anyone on the forum were interested in that digitizing software - will remove the thing now

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 220
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy