Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/30/2016 8:56:00 AM   
jmwe29

Hi all. Like most of you I have also been sewing ever since I can remember. My mother made us clothes until we left home, and I learned on her old Kenmore, then used her Singer Touch-n-Sew. I took loads of home ec courses when in school, then my parents gave me an Elna SU back in the dark ages when I got married. I moved away from sewing clothes (people are just too picky!) in favor of crafts and home dec quite a few years ago. When my Elna Quilter's Dream bit the dust a few months ago, I got a Janome DC 2014 for a workhorse machine, but have stuck with Babylock for embroidery.

I have done craft fairs off and on for quite a few years, and this past year was particularly good for me. I really like to make teddy bears (toy type as well as jointed collectible types), and rather than tackling entire quilts, I like doing quilted table runners with free motion quilting. My first embroidery machine was a Babylock Sophia 4x4, but just recently upgraded to a Babylock Accord with a 5x7, and the big hoop for combined designs. I haven't the foggiest idea how to use it yet, but figure most of the basics will be like the Sophia. One pass through the manual, and I'm boggled by the editing options! I did do a few ITH designs- key fobs- for the craft fairs, but they didn't sell at all.

Several of you have said you've gotten loads of help using your machines here, and I hope to participate, assuming there are others with Babylocks on here. I want to use the machine to make crafts to sell, and the 5x7 looks like it will be much more versatile than the little 4x4 I had. I can get free lessons on the machine, but the dealer is over an hour away, so I am hoping to tap into the knowledge of you members here to help out when I get stuck.

Glad to be a member!

Joyce

(in reply to Sparkle)
Post #: 221
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/30/2016 9:25:11 AM   
MoDo

Welcome aboard, Joyce!! You will find lots of advice and friendship on this forum!!

(in reply to jmwe29)
Post #: 222
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/31/2016 12:46:55 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Hi Joyce there are many with Babylock machines = mine are Janome's but I do have a babylock serger... Not sure how many have YOUR particular babylock but you can ask - just put your machine model in your question on this forum like Babylock.... need help and that should do it.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 223
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 12/31/2016 6:06:44 PM   
caaguirre

Welcome Joyce, so glad to meet you! You're a woman after my own heart regarding the home ec classes, table runners, and especially the Elna SU. I sewed on one of those for years and years and wish I still had it if only just to admire that beloved machine. I'm sure you'll find lots of Babylock help here or will be directed to other sources of help. I would like to learn from you about jointed teddy bears, I've collected patterns for them for a long time and never made a one.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 224
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/1/2017 1:06:25 PM   
Linda S.

Welcome Joyce! It's nice to meet you, and I'm sure you will find many kindred sewing spirits here. This is
a great group of great ladies who love to share knowledge. I know you'll feel right at home here : ).

If you're having a specific problem with your machine, may I suggest you post and see if someone has ideas
for you? I sew on a Babylock Ellure Sewing machine and a Janome 8000. And I have an older babylock and
a Necchi serger which I rarely use.

I would love to see some of the things you've made! I'm not a quilter, although I've taken several classes lol!
Never got past the class sampler. But I do so admire those who make beautiful quilts.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 225
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/1/2017 4:56:25 PM   
Belinda

I have been sewing since high school...a long time since I graduated in 1967!!. I am a registered nurse that worked in a large NICU taking care of tiny babies and I was also a Certified Lactation Consultant. I am now retired. I am enjoying my retirement and my husband and I love camping ( not tent but fifth wheel with a/c!). I have been known to take my small embroidery machine camping with me. I have a large Brother Embroidery machine that I leave at home. I joined this forum Feb. 2, 2011. At that time I was new to machine embroidery and asked a lot of dumb questions---I think I annoyed Shirley with my numerous questions. I am from the deep South and love it here. I know a lot of people don't like Mississippi but I have lived in several states and prefer my Ms. I will never move! I enjoy sewing, embroidering, quilting and most all crafts. I have 9 grandchildren so the opportunity to sew (and mend) is constant. This is a great forum and I have learned so much here. Welcome Joyce, I hope you enjoy it and learn as much as I have from all these wonderful ladies that are so willing to share their knowledge. Ask any questions that you need an answer to and you will surely get the correct answer here.

< Message edited by Belinda -- 10/1/2017 8:32:51 PM >

Belinda in MS

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 226
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/1/2017 8:10:26 PM   
caaguirre

Thank you, Belinda. Although you're a long time contributor it's so nice to read about your background and experiences.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Belinda)
Post #: 227
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/1/2017 8:37:28 PM   
Belinda

Thanks Carol, I really like to know some of each of your backgrounds too. It makes things seem more personal. It makes us real friends to know a little more about each other!

Belinda in MS

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 228
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/1/2017 8:54:44 PM   
Belinda

I forgot to mention how I was introduced to this forum...Years ago I attended a Martha Pullen School of Art Fashion in Huntsville Ala. My friend and I saved our money for a year to attend this week long school. It was amazing. We learned so much and did a lot of projects while we were there. I fell in love with Martha and her family. And I found this forum on her site. I did not have an embroidery machine at that time. The first embroidery machine I bought was not user friendly so it really wasn't even fun to use. But then I bought a Brother and fell in love with machine embroidery.

Belinda in MS

(in reply to Belinda)
Post #: 229
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy