Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/8/2011 3:56:29 PM   
Grammie

Oh, my...such varied and interesting stories!

I too started sewing early. My grandmother had a treadle machine that she started me on - it still sits in my guest room as a bedside table! My Mom sewed on Singers...and her last "Touch & Sew" is still living at my daughter's - my dgd loves it! Mom made or knitted all our clothes when my sister and I were young - made me beautiful prom gowns as well. She could copy almost any fashion and her tailoring techniques were amazing.

I took sewing classes in grades 7 - 8, again, starting on a treadle machine. There were only 4 electric machines in the room and so students had very limited time on them. (I know, I'm showing my age!) When I graduated from nurses' training my parents bought me my first sewing machine, a singer...cannot remember the model. I sewed for myself, and for my children when they were small, even teaching myself to smock when my daughter was born (1966). In later years, when I was working full-time, I pretty much just did mending on my machine. Then, I had my first grandchildren and got back to sewing baby things.In 1998 I retired and went to my first Martha Pullen School. I was introduced to the Husqvarna Designer 1 and loved it. I came home and went to my local dealer and bought one! I also had never even seen a serger before that first school, and I had to have one of those, too! Since then I have been to Huntsville 8 times and have enjoyed every minute of sewing for 9 grandchildren as well as home dec items and accessories. Now I have a Designer Diamond (as well as my Designer 1 which I keep to take to classes) and a Babylock Evolve and I sew every day. My favourite things to sew are heirloom pieces although sometimes it is fun to just sew pillowcases! I continue to smock almost constantly and have added a bit of quilting to my habit. Knitting is something I do in the Winter when it just feels like the right thing to do. I cannot learn to crochet - believe me, several folks have tried to teach me - I need another lesson after every coffee break!

I have taken two granddaughters to Huntsville and it is my great joy to watch them sew with confidence.

I have been on this phorum since it's inception and have learned more than I can even remember from the talented people here. I am ever so grateful. I love Sew Beautiful and Australian Smocking & Embroidery magazines and subscribe to both.

I will be going back to Huntsville in February, 2012 for another burst of sewing creativity.

Looking forward to reading more life stories of my cyber-friends here.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 23 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 13)!

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 21
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/8/2011 5:56:18 PM   
newmexicomama

I envy all the people who have had classes at Martha Pullen or anywhere else.  That's the only problem with living in the middle of nowhere.  Although I was in Huntsville to visit my son and daughter-in-law 2 years ago, she didn't have any classes in going at the time.  We planned on going back but they moved to Van Horn, Tx. Another middle of nowhere place.  But he loves his job with Blue Origin.  He an engineer working on the next space rocket.
I learned to knit when we were in a hotel in England.  My sister and I had chicken pox and a kindly lady showed me how to knit.  We were in the hotel for 6 weeks and I was proficient by the time we left.  I taught myself to crochet and made all the Sesame characters and then I started on Barbie doll clothes with cotton crochet thread.I love to do anything with my hands.
My husband is always saying why don't I relax.  He doesn't understand that I relax when I sew.
Lanny

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 22
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/8/2011 7:49:32 PM   
Merrinell

This has been so interesting! One twist from reading your posts is that I had forgotten so much of what I'd done all of these years. I am 71, and I think I've done it all except heirloom sewing. My mother was a seamstress, and at a young age I remember embroidering a pillow scarf. My mother made all of my clothes and could take a pattern and embellish it to whatever I wanted. I took Home Ec in high school, but I didn't have a very good teacher. When we were supposed to make an apron, I didn't have enough sense to make a regular apron. I remember choosing a red fabric and a red polka dot binding. There was even some boning in the top. I can't believe my mother let me choose that pattern. I didn't sew again for a long, long time!

I remember sewing on my grandmother's Singer treadle machine. I wonder where that machine is now. I would love to have it. I have some vague memories of making clothes for my dolls. My mother never let me have a "fashion" doll...she always bought me "baby" dolls, and I wanted a doll with an evening dress so bad. (Hadn't thought about that in years.)

After I married (48-1/2 years ago), we bought a Brother machine from a "smooth-talking" travelling salesman, and it was a lemon! Traded it on a Singer with cams when my daughter was two, and started sewing for her. Made us matching "antebellum" dresses during the bicentennial celebration in 1976. She liked for me to sew for her when she was growing up and once I made cheerleader uniforms for all the girls on her squad.

When she was twelve, she started counted cross-stitch, and then I got hooked on that for a number of years. I have a knee-high stack of books and patterns and every single DMC thread ever made in a trunk under my bed, but cannot bear to do that any more. It's so slow. But during my "interested" period, we did some beautiful things and have many framed and on display in my home.

My mother-in-law emigrated from Croatia in 1915, and we have some of the most awesome things she crocheted through the years. Bedspreads, afghans, doilies, edgings on pillow cases, etc. During WWII, the Red Cross brought her boxes of yard and she made helmet liners for the troops, and no baby was born in this town that didn't get one of her little layettes. I went through a crochet phase, but it never "took." Then I started knitting, and I think it suits me better. Right now I'm knitting caps for the International sailors who find themselves coming into the port in Charleston. Last year the Baptists in our state donated 8000 caps as a mission project.

One summer while she was in college, my daughter worked in an office where one of the ladies quilted during her lunch hour. She convinced DD that this is something she could do, so we ventured into quilting. Together we finished several quilt tops and found a lady in our town who quilted them for us, and I had found a new love.

I think it was right after that I fell into making "bunnies." (Do you see a pattern here?) I have had a lot of different passions through the years.

There was my smocking period after my granddaughters were born, and I really did beautiful work, but I found it too slow.

Then I discovered machine embroidery. I really can't remember what year I bought my first ME machine, but I know it was a Kenmore from Sears which was made by Janome. I had the Amazing Box with that one, and then one day found myself in a Baby Lock dealership in the city nearby, and walked out with an Esante, Imagine serger and Palette software. I fell into this like a duck into water. I started monograming everything in my house and found myself picking up some work for others. I passed the Esante & Imagine along to my DIL (my daughter has no interest) and purchased a BabyLock Ellageo Bll, and just this year I have updated the Ellageo with a quilting package. Four years ago, I joined Quilts of Valor, and since then I have been consumed with making quilts for our injured servicemen and women. I make diaper bags and purses, embroider logos on knit shirts, etc., and I have enough embroidery designs to keep me busy until I'm 276 years old!

Right now I have three personal quilts started and really hope I can get them made this winter. We have closed up our little place in the W.N.C. mountains for the season, and I need to get myself busy finishing projects. (Uh-oh, just remembered those Christmas projects I need to get to.....hmmm).

I can't remember when I discovered Martha's phorum, but that was one of the best days of my life. I have cherished the times and the friends I've found here. I know it's been at least 8 years. I have learned so much, and have some friends off the phorum that I've made right here.

My DH has no interest in any of my projects, and I had to chuckle when one of you said something about getting your husband to go shopping with you. My husband is the engineer, but he retired as VP of a power utility the day they put a computer on his desk. When he was in school they used a slide rule....then he had a calculator. He is technology challenged, and has no interest in learning. But he's a keeper, nevertheless. We have raised three boys and a daughter. I brought two sons into the marriage, and the oldest son is 51, daughter 44, youngest son is 42. Our second son died in an auto accident when he was 25. He would have been 50 last Sunday. We have one grandson and four granddaughters.

I'm a retired paralegal, and I still have a home-based business, which keeps me in spending money for my projects and fabric.

I know I am blessed in many, many ways...and being a part of this phorum is one! Every day I look forward to joining my friends and finding out what's going on with each of you. Thanks for all you've added to my life. (Thanks to V for her method...thanks to the one who introduced me to using the blue painter's tape on my hoops....thanks to Sparkle for her fudge recipe.....Thanks for the memories!).

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 23
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/8/2011 8:36:51 PM   
Belinda

I live in south Mississippi and have sewed as far back as I can remember....starting with doll clothes. I have owned an Elna emb machine ,a Brother ULT2003 and now use a Brother Quattro 6000D which I love. I have a small Brother combination sewing/emb. machine (a project runway version) which I leave in my camper that only does a 4X4 but it does well and I really like it too. I am a retired NICU RN as of June 6 of this year..I thought I would get a lot more sewing done but NO..it doesn't work that way when you have 6 children and 8 grandkids. Oh, I also have a Grace Quilting frame with a Jujki TL-2010Q machine that I leave on it for quilting..it is rather new and I haven't mastered machine quilting yet. I have been on this forum for years--I don't post as much as some but I do read the posts almost daily and I feel like I know most of the ones here that have been posting for years also. This forum is a great place to learn alot about Machine emb. and a lot of other "interesting, useful things". The members here seem to genuinely care about each other and have become true friends.. I do so love this forum and its members!! And did I say everyone here has a great sense of humor.

Belinda in MS

(in reply to embroideryallsorts)
Post #: 24
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/8/2011 9:19:38 PM   
Grandmom

I have enjoyed reading all these posts. So many have similar backgrounds and experiences. Some where along the line someone mentioned that is her last machine.
I had to laugh about that. For the last 3 machines I have purchased I told me DH that is the last one I will buy -- to justify spending all that money. Ha!
It's a wonderful hobby and I love it.
Grandmom

(in reply to Belinda)
Post #: 25
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/9/2011 12:47:27 AM   
sewLo

At almost the very moment that I got internet I logged on here as I had heard about Martha's Sewing Phorum...it has been so long that I don't remember where I heard about it...but it was one of the first places that I checked out once I was online!  So I have been here since 2000 (I think).  I come and go here as life has served us its share of lemons...but usually I make lemonade!  lol  My grandmother and her sister were avid needleworkers...I have inherited some absolutely wonderful linens that they hand embroidered, did cutwork on, etc.  I did not know my grandmother as she died when I was two.  I did meet her sister and have some hand knit items that she made for my dd when she was born.  I have a great love of needlework...I'm just not doing it to the extent that I used to since I now have a machine that will embroider for me...and it is sooooooo much faster!!! My mother was a home ec teacher...her favorite part of home ec was the sewing, but she was a very good cook also.  I fell in love with cooking before I fell in love with sewing!  I guess you could say that I was inspired by my mother and would periodically become inspired to sew something...but patience was not one of my virtues as a young child or as a teen...most of those early projects never saw completion.  But the ground work was started way back then.  I did take home ec in 7th and 8th grade...but again...it didn't inspire me too much...typical home ec experience.  I did well in home ec and accomplished the tasks assigned, but still hadn't found that love for sewing that I now have.  I guess I really got inspired when I got married and started a family...then sewing became a bit of a necessity...or at least I saw it that way.  After we got married, I first sewed on a machine my mother gave me that had been hers and then my dh bought me a Kenmore stretch stitch machine back in 1974 (our dd was 4 at the time and our son was 2) and really from that time on I never looked back and have enjoyed most every moment of my sewing.  I received an inheritance in 1997 when my aunt passed away and with that I bought a Janome Memory Craft 9000...and I was in love with sewing even more...and that was the start of my love of machine embroidery also.  Prior to getting that machine I started really working on honing my sewing skills with my Kenmore by reading every sewing book that I could get my hands on...I was especially inspired by Nancy Zeiman...both her books and her TV shows.  At a point I discovered Martha Pullen and Sew Beautiful and then I was really in my element!  That Janome 9000 is still working away...but it now resides next door with our son and his family.  I am now teaching two of our grandchildren (9 1/2 & 8 yrs.) how to sew on it.  The reason that the 9000 moved next door was that when my mother sold her house five years ago she gifted me with a generous sum of money and I decided to move up in the world and purchased the Janome 11000...and haven't looked back!  I love this...my dream machine!  I am now kept very busy with our ds and family living next door.  You see...they have five children with another on the way!  I help home school their children (thus the sewing lessons for their two oldest).  But all the comings and goings of five little ones at any and all times of the day does cut into my sewing time!  But I still manage to carve out a bit of time now and then to sew.  I enjoy sewing garments and sew for myself and for my grandchildren.  I love to sew for dolls too (inherited that love from my aunt)...am getting ready to make a doll dress for a present for one of our dgd's birthday. I have been known to make draperies and curtains (home dec is not my favorite type of sewing!).  I have also dabbled a bit in quilting...but again not my "cup of tea."  When I sew I make it a learning experience every time that I make a garment.  I enjoy including various techniques and trying new things in whatever item I am making.  I'm really not an heirloom garment maker...but like to use heirloom techniques (tucks, etc.) in the dresses for the little girls.  I love to sew with knits...that is something that my mother got me interested in...as she learned Stretch and Sew methods and passed those methods on to me.  Mother passed away six months ago at almost 99 and I feel that she is the one who planted the love of sewing in me.  When she was preparing to come home from the hospital just days before she died she was hoping to get back to doing a needlepoint project that she had started recently.  I look back very fondly on the lovely things that she made for me over the years...garments and needlework items.  I know that she was very pleased that I ended up loving sewing the way that I do...I don't think that she ever saw it coming based on my early attempts!!!  She enjoyed the pleasure that I got from my special computerized machines.  I am very pleased that I purchased the Janome 11000 with money that she gave me five years ago...it definitely pleased her.  I always said that I wanted to get it when she knew that I had it rather than after she died and wouldn't see the pleasure that it gave me!  Mother always gave me money at Christmas and I used part of it to purchase my membership to Martha's Internet Embroidery Club...I guess this year it will have to be a present to me from me!  I always waited till after Christmas to pay for the next year's membership...guess that this year I can go ahead and get it as soon as it is offered...which will be soon!  There is no way that I could ever embroider all the machine embroidery designs that I have...but I still keep finding more that I "need!"  Just recently I have been bitten by the bug of having a fabric stash...I think I caught it from this board!!!!!  I also have a Baby Lock Evolve serger that I would have trouble doing without!  Oh, and, I do not smock!  lol There...that is enough about me!!! 

< Message edited by sewLo -- 10/9/2011 12:58:31 AM >

Lois
http://wdorrell.blogspot.com/

(in reply to embroideryallsorts)
Post #: 26
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 8:48:22 AM   
jem

This is fun let's not stop now. We also need to hear from some of the newer members. I know someone with wonderful insite is lurking out there. Tell us why you came here and how we can help you feel comfortable "talking" with us. Tell us about your children, grandchildren, pets or projects. I now want to know about everyone.

Psalms 121
The Needler, =^..^=
Jacki, IJCCS (International Jammie Club of Creative Stitchers)
librocubicularist

(in reply to sewLo)
Post #: 27
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 10:59:59 AM   
PAT IN LOUISIANA USA

I really had to learn to sew when I became a Granny. Although I taught my daughter how to sew Babrie clothes when she was about 7yrs old and how to read a pattern, I myself did not sew except for a few costumes when the kids were small. After 10 yrs of marrage my DDIL called to tell me "Hi Granny". Well this woman went crazy and bought all kinds of stuff. Two weeks later DD called and said "Hi Granny". Excitedly I exclaimed "I know Wanda called me!" She said "NO Granny again!" So I went out and purchased the same things. Grannys can't show any difference, you know. Then I went to an expo and saw the Pfaff 1475 (for those that don't know I was the first to connect to the computer. And that was when everything was in DOS) Many years and several machines later, and needless to say many projects later, including Christening gowns and a lot of heirloom inspired by Martha. My first Heirloom project was The christening Gown in Grandmothers Hope Chest. It was the Godet Curved Puffing Christening Dress. Now if that isn't nerve I don't know what is! It did come out wonderful, and at the christening everyone was looking at the dress first not at my beautiful grand son. It is hard to believe its's over 20 yrs ago. My machines that I have now (and I don't feel so guilty or greedysince reading how many machines others have) are BabyLock ellegante' and ellisimo and an evolve 8 thread serger. I love them all. I do not have a business, I just have fun. At the age of 69 I might as well have what I want if it doesn't put a hardship on anyone else. I had an older friend who always was trading up to the latest machines and I used to wonder at that, well I don't any more, You only go around once so enjoy the trip as much as you can. When others were leaving this forum because of the nasty spam were were being hit with I would not give up this forum because of the wonderful, helpful people here. They are always in my prayers and in my heart.

(in reply to jem)
Post #: 28
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 11:31:01 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Girls let me tell you this - the ones with the most machines ONLY sew for pleasure not profit - that is to say they make gifts for everyone who crosses their paths some have been known to make gifts for people they have never even met but are sisters of the heart.  And just because you have the latest when something newer comes along you are smitten even before you set eyes on it.  Some never trade in their machines well they are like children you dont give the first away just because the second comes along - 3 bedroom homes have been known to become first a combo sewing room and guest room and then gee - well if we have guests we can figure something out.
Every drawer and cupboard and book shelf is filled to capacity with sewing stuff.  I am sure that the manufacturers of those roll around drawer towers had sewers or crafters in mind - if you are new buy the tallest but wait for a sale.I have 7 of those towers - one is filled with crafting things - well if you are going to make gifts you are going to need to wrap them up in style.  I send so many gifts that the clerks at my postal outlet ask what is in the padded envelopes.  I am not so sure telling them is a good idea as a parcel to my sister never arrived - it was a St Patrick`s day towel with family name and shamrocks - no good to anyone else - plus a Rosary - well you can never have enough prayer in your life so..... 

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to PAT IN LOUISIANA USA)
Post #: 29
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 1:27:08 PM   
DonnaSewsAgain

Thank you so much, ladies (and Sparkle for starting this) for humoring me in my desire to hear everyone's stories! It is so much fun, and I hope we can get this saved so that new folks can add theirs.

I grew up with a sewing mama who told me stories about making feedsack dresses during the Depression. I remember pumping away on my grandma's treadle machine, but I'm pretty sure my first project was making a dress for my Betsy McCall doll- remember those? She was so sweet- and tiny! Every birthday and Christmas I was in high suspense about what mom had made me. How she did it without my ever trying anything on or seeing any errant scraps of fabric I don't know, especially since she sewed in a corner of our living room. When tricot came along, she was not only making all our clothes (except my daddy's) but our undies, too! I was always so proud of her and her creations, even in high school when she made me "cool" clothes. We did wrangle a bit about hemlines, and looking back, I can't believe how short some of those were in the late 60's and early 70's! My husband and I were high school sweethearts who got married as sophomores in college. It was the hippie/earth mama era, and my mom-created wedding dress was made of cotton voile and eyelet with a ruffle around the high neck. I was determined to make a suit for my husband-to-be, and my mom knew better than to argue with her strong-willed daughter who had never made a tailored garment. She provided advice but I wouldn't let her touch the machine to help me- so stubborn! Guess what this stylish suit was made of? Forest green polyester doubleknit!!! The wonder-fabric of the day.

My first sewing machine was a yard sale Kenmore in a cabinet that I bought when we went off to grad school. I kept it for almost 30 years and used it to sew the smocked dresses and rompers for our two daughters and son who are now 32, 27, and 20. I got very sick eleven years ago and was unable to sew at all. Two years later my husband also got sick and then a year after that our youngest child, who was then 12. After several years of no answers, we found that our home had been contaminated with a now-banned pesticide which was under our home at such high levels that we were told it would have to be bulldozed and the soil excavated and hauled to a toxic waste dump. Everything in it had to go- the quilts my mom had made for all of us (I'm glad she was spared knowing this), the baby clothes I had hoped to pass down to grandchildren, all our books and papers, including photos. (The infamous doubleknit wedding suit will probably still be in that dump down in South Florida for 500 years ). We were thrilled to be able to put most of the photos on CDs before the originals were destroyed- I'm so glad I saved photo negatives over the years! People in our church and community came together to help us build a safe house, as chemicals, fragrances, and most normal building materials make us sicker. We've now been in the new home for 5 years, and although I'm mostly homebound, I am finally able to sew some again, as long as I do it in small snatches.

In these five years, we have been blessed with three grandchildren and a fourth on the way. I just had to sew and smock again! Last year, I bought a little Brother sewing/embroidery machine with computer connectivity. The pesticide exposure has affected my cognitive abilities in some ways, so learning my new machine has been a challenge. Although the reviews all said that you quickly outgrow a 4x4 hoop, I was so hesitant about being able to do ME, I thought it would be silly to buy something bigger. Now I understand the reviews! I am pretty limited in how much I can sit up to sew, but I have had a great time rebuilding a stash of patterns, notions, and fabric. However, like Anna, I want to do and not just think! I have twin two year old granddaughters, and sewing for the two at once sometimes takes more energy than I have, but I enjoy dreaming of projects to use all the patterns and fabric I've collected. The inspiration on this forum has been such an encouragement! You all are amazing- so full of knowledge and skill, compassion and humor. I feel like I'm gaining a great circle of friends, and when you are limited as I am in the ability to get out or do normal "friend things", that is a an extra-sweet blessing! I appreciate you all.

Donna
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af122/mgmstudios/RD.jpg

(in reply to PAT IN LOUISIANA USA)
Post #: 30
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 1:34:34 PM   
newmexicomama

Shirley I agree with you. I love all my sewing machines and wouldn't give away any of mine.  Now my first machine that's a different story.  I had a dressmaker and the only place to sew was the dining table.  My son would love to play with the tension and I could never get it completely right.
Then I took a lingerie sewing class in Spokane and lo and behold I sewed on a Bernina.  It was a couple of years before I could afford one.  It was $900 and that was unheard of to pay that much.  Still have it and still use it.  Not as much as I did with the new 830.  And yes most of the things I do I make as gifts.  I've made a few baby quilts for a friend for her nieces but never know how much to charge.
Lanny

Post #: 31
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 1:47:35 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Ha my godmother was the same as your son - she would borrow granny's singer and when it came back it would not sew worth a darn - tensions all screwed up - you should have heard the colourful irish curses and french ones too from my granny the first time she went to use the machine after Auntie Ruth her DIL had returned it.  
Granny swore never again - thread nests skipped stitches - bobbin thread pulled to the top whatever could be awry - I sure do not recall many broken needles on those 1940s Singer machines in fact I bet granny only had one pack.  She likely only had half dozen metal bobbins as well.  Here I have perhaps a 100 bobbins and can never find an empty one to use when doing something in a off colour.
When my godmother got pregnant with the twins I think that she bought her own machine.  I remember some white flannel baby gowns that had built in mitts that she made.  Her twins were enormous and I doubt that they fitted the knitted layettes or the nightgowns for very long - a month before she gave birth my mom was pregnant with my youngest sister and my aunt packed up a few of the things that the twins had outgrown.  One of her girls was 8 lbs 6 ounces and I think the other was just under 7 lbs.  My sister was couple weeks late and weighed 4 lbs 11 ounces and the twins stuff swam on her.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to newmexicomama)
Post #: 32
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 2:43:35 PM   
jem

Shirley, you are right. I would never trade in "Bertha". She is my Brother ULT Pacesetter. She goes everywhere with me. She went to school in Huntsville and Marha and all the great teachers signed her. Even if she turned into a door stop she would have a place with me. "Matilda" has pieced so many quilt tops always with a perfect 1/4" seam. My machines keep me sane..... Well, kinda!!! lol!!!!

Psalms 121
The Needler, =^..^=
librocubicularist

Post #: 33
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/10/2011 3:42:18 PM   
RetroEsther

Hi!  I had been wondering where I could best introduce myself so I'm so glad that this thread was started!  I don't get to visit the forum as much as I'd like to but I'm hoping that will change down the road. 

I started sewing when I took home ec in jr. high and high school.  I had always been fascinated with sewing as a kid, watching my grandmother sew at her treadle sewing machine when we visited her during the summer.  She would give my sister and me dolls with complete little wardrobes that she had made for them.  As a farm wife, she made all eight of her children's clothes on that machine.  Unfortunately, Grandma passed away when I was 12.  My mother had a sewing machine but she didn't like me using it and really, pretty much discouraged me from sewing even though my home ec teachers said I really had a talent for it.  Go figure.  The school had these wonderful Vikings that I learned on and I really wanted my parents to get me one, but as my mother recently told me, she didn't think it was something that I had needed.  I'm not sure what my mother's problem was other than I think that she was always ashamed of clothes that her own mother made for her while she was growing up in Pittsburgh during the depression.  She was also very focused on my going to college and having a career, so I think she didn't want to encourage domesticity in any form. 

Fast forwarding to about twenty years ago, my sister, who had two daughters by then and no sewing skills (she was the proverbial tomboy growing up and ironically, her name is Martha), asked me to make Halloween costumes for the girls.  So really, that's what got me back into sewing.  I used a second hand machine that my sister had gotten at a garage sale, and made a number of costumes for my nieces and nephew as well as a few special occasion dresses.  Eventually, my husband and dad got me my first Viking, a 320, for my birthday one year.  It was the best present that I've ever gotten.  I now also have a Platinum 775, a Designer 1 and just recently purchased a Huskylock S25 serger that I am learning to use.  To say that I am a huge fan of Viking machines would be an understatement, LOL.  As the kids got older and I no longer sewed so much for them, I've started to do more things like quilt tops and bags.  I also have taught myself to knit and crochet.  Hand embroidery is something that I taught myself as a kid and I've been doing that on and off all my life.  About three years ago, I discovered heirloom sewing through Sew Beautiful and my Martha Pullen instructor. Because of that, a whole new magical world has opened up to me.  I had the pleasure of attending the Teaching Beginning Sewing licensing this past April and loved every minute of it.  However, it was also a painful time as my beloved dad was sick and passed away the last night that I was in Huntsville.  I pretty much experienced one of the best times of my life and the worst all at once.  I've finally gotten back in my sewing room in the past month and it's been a balm to the soul.

I've been married to my wonderful husband, Eric, for 17 years and we share our home with a bunch of kitties that we've rescued from the street.  I currently work full-time for a law firm but I am working towards my goal of having my own business out of my home, sewing dresses for little girls to sell on-line and teaching sewing classes locally.  I taught my first hand embroidery class at my local quilt shop this past Saturday and they also have asked me to teach four classes from my MP curriculum.  I'm so excited about that but nervous, too! 

I think when it comes to sewing, I feel like I am making up for lost time and there is so much that I want to do, including more Martha Pullen licensings and going to SOAF.  The ladies on this forum inspire me greatly and just by reading posts, I have already learned quite a bit!

Esther

Viking Ruby, Viking Designer 1, Viking Platinum 775, Viking 320 & Huskylock S25

Post #: 34
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/11/2011 8:47:02 AM   
jem

Ok, don't let this thread die. If you are reading this and haven't contributed, it is your turn to tell us a little about yourself. Everyone's story is important and we want to get to know you.

Psalms 121
The Needler, =^..^=
librocubicularist

(in reply to RetroEsther)
Post #: 35
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/11/2011 9:54:23 AM   
Scottish Anna

Esther, this is totally off topic, but my mother was called Martha and one of her sisters (my favourite aunt) was called Esther, although she has forever been known as Bunty as my mother used to always sing the song, bye bye baby bunting to her, and it stuck.  Also, my mother couldn't sew either! lol

How about we deluge Stacie with mail to see if she will keep this at the top?  I am going to send a message now   Just occured to me to start a poll, duh!!  It wont let me start one!!   Anyone?

Hugs

Anna

< Message edited by Scottish Anna -- 10/11/2011 11:11:24 AM >

I would be unstoppable, if I could just get started!

I want to do, not think, that is my problem!

(in reply to jem)
Post #: 36
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/11/2011 10:54:17 AM   
jem

go for it!!

Psalms 121
The Needler, =^..^=
librocubicularist

(in reply to Scottish Anna)
Post #: 37
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/11/2011 2:56:28 PM   
Camille

My bio….My mom was a seamstress and taught me to sew, knit and crochet at age 5. I would make Barbie doll clothes and my 3 brothers would somehow destroy them. My mom and dad owned a restaurant and spent a lot of time there as did their 4 children. They bought a house where the backyards met and we never ate a meal in the house, always in the restaurant. In 5th grade I took a home ec class and made a jumper. When completed, the teacher said she gave my mother an A. I did put a lot of work into that jumper. Then when I had to take cooking class in the 7th grade, I had a tough time with the teacher and always wound up in the principal’s office. I would argue with her that her techniques were incorrect and my father would never cook like that in his restaurant. I’ve always loved cooking and baking. I would sew on my mom’s Necchi, sure do wish I had it today. When I got married, dh bought a simple machine for me, but I never mastered it. I was mainly self taught and my clothes would never turn out well. Later in life I found out that I’m a perfectionist. I have 2 daughters and sewed for them when they were little, but again, not perfect for my liking. I had a Singer serger that I hated and was always frustrated with threading that darn thing. My love of knitting, crocheting and cross stitching remained and I always had a project going. I was a nurse for 15 yrs and worked nights, so always had a project that was portable.  I continued to sew thru the years and then my older dd wanted to go into the embroidery business. Knowing nothing about this type of sewing, she convinced my dh to buy a Bernina 200 when they first were introduced. That’s when I began to research on-line and found this wonderful site. I have learned everything I know from you wonderful ladies thru the years. BTW, never started that business. I have since added a Janome, Bernina 430, Bernina Serger, Bernina coverstitch and last year, I added a Viking Mega Quilter with a quilting frame that I still have not tried out yet. I have the MOST supportive husband who continuously moves rooms around to accommodate all my equipment and stash. Dh collects and restores classic cars. It seems like whenever he gets a car, I get a machine. It’s not competitive, just works out that way. I’m thinking about getting a Baby Lock Serger, that threads easily, but have to wait for a money windfall. Dh is always looking for a commercial machine for me so I can sew the upholstery in his cars. Two weeks ago, we went to a car swap meet with the gundgiest people on earth. Dh spotted someone selling an old Singer. The lady said make me an offer. Her sister found it in the attack of the house she bought. Not knowing if all the parts were there, I offered $10 and she took it. I went to the Singer website and found the model # which is from 1927. Now I have dh on a hunt for a Featherweight. Anyhow, my true love these days is quilting. I’ve made so many and gave them away as gifts. My formal living room now houses my sewing room as it’s only dh and myself in a house that’s too big for us. Problem is….we can’t move into a smaller house with both our hobbies. And my other major problem is….I work full time. Looks like I’ll be working full time for at least another 6 years as I carry the health benefits. I can’t make any changes there as I was diagnosed with colon cancer last year and had major surgery. I’ve had multiple surgeries in the past few years so I’m hoping my job stays secure until then. OK, now that you know everything about me, I have to live another 60 years to be able to use up all my stash, embroidery designs, patterns and threads. I also want to live another 60 years to watch the loves of my life, my 8 yo twin gs’s grow up. We moved to Mass from Long Island about 12 years ago to be close to my dd’s. We live about an hour away from dd#1. My other unmarried dd moved to Calif recently. She has a second degree in baking and has worked in the chocolate business for the past several years. I don’t fly, so guess I will only see her if I pay for her airfare back home. Wherever we drive to, I have to research what fabric stores are on the way and stop at all of them. Dh has patience like you wouldn’t believe. I may not post much these days, but I sure do read it a lot and cherish everything I learned from this site. Love you all. Camille

(in reply to Sparkle)
Post #: 38
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/11/2011 10:23:07 PM   
grand6

I started sewing at age 5 when they had a contest at a dancing class I attended. We were to make an outfit for a doll (something like a Barbie but they were not made yet). I used my Mom's sewing machine and I won the contest. The other Mother's said I did not make it myself since I sewed in on the machine. I took home ec for 2 years and made an apron and the next year it was a dress.
Probably didn't sew too much until I was married and when I had children (3 boys). I sewed for them. I took classes to make jeans, took the stretch and sew classes blazer class.
I didn't sew for awhile again. My Mom bought me a singer it called Diana for my birthday one year and I was back sewing.
One time coming back from Noeth Dakota we stopped before the border to gas up and that is where I found Sew Beautifu. magazine.
Well I bought it and loved it. I would go to a lot of stores to find the magazine again. It was hard to find around here so I had to subscribe because it drove me crazy trying to find it.
I went to Marthas' the first time in 2000. I surprised my husband by going by myself. Really enjoyed it and have been 6 more times.
I have taught myself to smock and needle tat. I did hand embroidery growing up as my Aunt would do a lot of that and she taught me
I can knit. I knit my babies sweater sets when they were born.
Oh before I went to Marthas' I seen an add in a local paper about a heirloom class. I had to take that class and made a christening gown which turned out great. I was the only one in that class. I'm glad the class went ahead with just one person.
I have a designer 1 and a designer SE. I love both of them. I have also a Kenmore serger, but am looking for a new serger.
I have sewn for my DGC 3 boys and 3 girls. I sew and embroider and give most of them away.
I lurked a long time on the forum and have learned a lot from all the knowledgeable ladies here.
Thanks Martha for this great place.
Judy

(in reply to Camille)
Post #: 39
RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself - 10/11/2011 10:24:45 PM   
chriscraft

Hi! I've just joined this forum and I've enjoyed reading your stories. I think I probably became interested in sewing because my Mom sewed clothes for me and my walking doll (anyone remember those?) Then one year a little girl I knew got a toy sewing machine for Christmas...later my roommate got one as a farewell gift from an employer...and I was always jealous ;) Finally I got my first machine in the early eighties, with union back pay, and the rest is history! I'm a Janome gal, first the 8000, then the 10000, the 11000, and now the 12000, as of the end of this month - but only one at a time! ;) As for sergers, I started with a Janome, then had a Pfaff, but for the last decade or so I've loved my Husky 936. I love machine embroidery, and will embroider anything and everything! Recently I've enjoyed making baby things and personalizing them with machine embroidery...new parents love seeing their child's name on anything. My next bigger project will have to be a valance for my hubby's study, I've promised him a valance for the last couple of years but keep getting sidetracked by 'fun' stuff. No fair, after all, he's the one who's been feeding my sewing habit...uh, hobby!

Chris

(in reply to Camille)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> RE: OT - kinda - Introduce Yourself Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy